RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pan lubing

Boolit Buddy

Pan lubing

If you are putting lube on a hollow base cast bullet, can you use a pan lube or should you use another method? I don't know if lube getting in a hollow base would hurt it. What method would be the best?

Boolit Grand Master

Would be a lot of lube in the hollow based bullet if filled. A lube sizer to lube should work ( It does for hollow based wadcutters). Depending on the quantities You could simply finger lube them with a softer lube like spg or emmerts improved. Like packing a bearing a small ball if lube on your finger and press into grooves filling them. This could be done while watching TV in the evenings. A ring made with bore sized to fit bullet and a 1/8" NPT thread tapped thru to it might allow a grease gun to be used to jut fill the grooves.

columrick
    Place boolits in pan first, then pour in lube. Air bubble in hollow cavity should prevent lube getting in, if the seal between pan and boolit base is compromised. I think 2 pans would be needed. Once the lubed boolits are done, pull boolits, heat that pan, put boolits in the pan formerly holding the lube, rinse and repeat. I found 2 nice same size round pans at a thrift store for a buck each, and a cheap hot plate.

Boolit Master
    I used a silicon baking pan and put it on a hard metal one. Stood the hollow base bullets up and poured lube in. None of the lube got under or in the hollow base.

Boolit Buddy
    Sizing the bullets is not an option because I have a large bore. [slugs .460] I am having to try as cast size. I am shooting an Encore Pro-Hunter and can't seem to get enough accuracy.

You could gentle tumble lube them with BLL or 45/45/10 or you could pan lube them just put them in the pan hollow base up use a cake cutter to remove Just fill the pan with lube enough to fill the lube grooves
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

Or put them in upside down.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    I put them in the pan pore in melted lube, cut out with cake cutter than place new boolits in the the holes the boolit came out of. I than place the pan in a toaster oven set to heat slow rinse and repeat. I sometime get a bit of lube in the hollow base and clean it out before loading.

Boolit Master
    After the lube hardened flip the cake out and push bullets out with a wooden chopstick then through a Lee sizer die

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    I used a silicon baking pan and put it on a hard metal one. Stood the hollow base bullets up and poured lube in. None of the lube got under or in the hollow base.
    What carrier sez here (not his other post) !
    and if a little lube gets in the base of a few - wipe it out - WD40 on a flannel pad is good for cleaning lube off of boolit bases

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    What carrier sez here (not his other post) !
    Works for me.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info guys!

Banned

pan lubing will work fine for any type of bullet base. i prefer DIP lubing, then "cookie cutting" off the excess using an expanded case, no waiting for the lube to cool and little excess lube.

Boolit Master
    rfd is that the Lee 459-500-3R bullet and if it is what are you shooting it out of and how is it working?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    rfd is that the Lee 459-500-3R bullet and if it is what are you shooting it out of and how is it working?
    yes, it's that bullet. one of the first i tried. not good, at least for me. just the wrong dimensions and far too pointed. a better bullet for 200yds and lots farther out is the lyman postell, or if you have the cash the BACO Jim459525 "money" is Killer. better yet, i ditched greasers years ago and only load PPBs, the BACO Jim443530E. long distance life is much better wrapped in paper.

Boolit Master
    I’ve got the Lee 405 HB working pretty good so far out of my Trapdoor.

Banned

that bullet was made specifically for the springfield.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    that bullet was made specifically for the springfield.
    Yup but when I bought that mould I also bought the 500 one as well. In the picture I didn’t look anywhere close to what it actually is.

Boolit Mold
    I too have the lee 500 grainer mold. I cast up some 16:1 bullets with it pan lubed and loaded same over 65 grains of Olde Eynsford. 20+ mph winds today will hit the range Friday as the winds will be about 6 MPH then. Last time out with store bought 881 bullets lubed with SPG 50% keyholed at 50 yards and the 2 round hole shots were about 10 inches apart. Will update with my range findings. Am only trying to hit a 24 inch by 36 inch plate reliably at 100,200 and 300 with the 1888 Trapdoor for now.

Boolit Master
    I pan lube bullets for .38 Long-Colt...hollow-base (Rapine) & heeled-hollow-base (Old West). I use a metal pan and use toothpick to pop slight lube wafer out of cavity. I'm going to have to try that Silicone pan method.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast