WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alloy for 44 Mag

My air cooled clip on WW measure 15-16 bhn and I'm sizing .433. Lube is 350 Alox/beeswax 50/50 then add 10% parafin wax.
    Shoots awesome from special to Elmer loads with a 260-265gr Elmer bullet.

Boolit Grand Master
    WW's & a touch of pewter.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Quote Originally Posted by Arkansas Paul View Post
    I started casting for .44 magnum recently, and so far have only fired a few hundred rounds.
    I've used straight COWW alloy and have run both specials and full throttle magnums with no leading issues.
    My 2 molds are a Lyman 429421 and a Lee 310 grain RNFP GC.
    If you can only have 2 molds, this is the way to go...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    50/50 ww/ pure, with 2% sn, Lee 310 grain RNFP GC. Powder coated, sized to .430. SHoot accurately enough for me with no leading.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    50/50 ww/ pure, with 2% sn, Lee 310 grain RNFP GC. Powder coated, sized to .430. SHoot accurately enough for me with no leading.
    Are those air cooled or water quenched?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Budzilla 19 View Post
    The lee 310 grain RNFP gas checked might be interesting in the 444 Marlin. Is that the C430-310-RF GC 90858 ?

Boolit Grand Master

I have been casting for my 44 magnums since '90 r so. I started with straight wheel weights and was very successful. I have found, just like most hobbies, one can get as involved as wanted. I learned a bit about alloying and characteristics of different bullet alloys, but for me I "toned it down" in the last 6-8 years. I know what alloys cast best in my Lee molds and those that work well in my Lyman/Ideal molds, but beyond that, I just check BHN and size the bullets to fit the gun they will be used in. I have about 200-250 lbs of what I call my "mystery metal" that runs about 11 BHN,and it is a mixture of different alloys and scrap (started with an OOPS! and mixed some alloy with an unknown alloy by mistake) which works well in all my guns and casts well in most of my molds...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I've used the Lyman 429421 since about 1978. I've used it in my Marlin 1894, a Ruger SBH, a Ruger Redhawk.
    I've experimented with alloys from dead soft to Lyno hard. Usually I just use what's in the pot. Mostly COWW Water dropped.
    My mold drops boolits at about .432. I tried sizing to several sizes. To simplify my loading I don't size the boolits. I lube with Lee Liquid Alox. No leading as fast as they can shoot.
    I standardized on two loads 8.5 grs Unique, 22.5 grs 2400. Shoots through all my guns very well. The two revolvers get less than 2 in groups at 25 yds. If I really bear down, less than an inch. In the marlin the groups aren't quite as small. Run about two inches.
    I recently bought the Ranch Dog 265 gr mold. Haven't worked with it much yet so can't report on that one.
    With the two loads in the revolvers the light load is pretty much right on at 50 yds, without readjusting the sights the heavy load is about right on at 100.
    Leo
    Last edited by 44magLeo; 01-28-2019 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    Going to start casting for the 44 Mag. Ordering a Keith mold, not planning to use max loads. Bore slugs .4295, throat is .4325. Figure I'll size .432.
    What alloy are you all using that gives you good results with no leading? I've got plenty of lead & lino, but no WW. What proportion do you suggest? BHN?
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    You should do well staying with coww mixtures in that Redhawk. The .4325 throats and boolits sized to .432 will let you seal the .4295 barrel very well. My SRH has the same dimensions and I run .431 boolits with no problems and good accuracy with no leading ever and most of mine were 16-1. IMHO, that is one of the reasons that Redhawks shoot so accurately, cylinder throats are proper size for barrel diameter. Of course the way the cylinder locks up into the frame doesn't hurt either. You will love this gun.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

Thanks everyone for your advise. Much appreciated.

Did a little experimentation, and found that a mix of 5 Pb to 1 Lino gives me about 12.5 BHN, so I'll try that when I get my mold.
    Looking forward to playing with this 44.

Banned
    You may want to add .5 to 1 0z of tin/pewter

Boolit Master

Back 40+yrs ago for silhouette, I used the Lyman #429244GC cast of 2lbs Linotype to 1lb lead. Lubed with NRA 50/50.

Gave me minimal leading, sized .431dia I got the larger Lube-Sizer die from an old guy at the range. Got a .359dia too. But it didn't give me the accuracy I needed. So I went back to .358dia for all .38/.357 loads. Never looked back. 35,000 rds of #358156GC cast of the 2/1 alloy or straight LINO. Got some gas cutting, between 10,000 to 20,000 rds. But that stopped

Happened to the .44 Super Blawkhawk too, 7 1/2". But I didn't get that in the Stainless 10 1/2" . But I gave up silhouette before I shot more then about 3,000 rds.

No hot loads these days. Arthritis in both hands, wrists and elbows.

Cut that 10 1/2" to 5 1/2". Got a full length ejector rod. Makes a great holster gun for light loads of 8.0grs of TiteGroup & a Keith SWC or RNFP for Cowboy Action Shooting. Cast of COWW/#2, 50/50 & that same NRA 50/50 Lube.
    My Chiropractor loves it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned

96/2/2 air cooled works well for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12