Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alloy for 44 Mag

Boolit Master

Alloy for 44 Mag

Going to start casting for the 44 Mag. Ordering a Keith mold, not planning to use max loads. Bore slugs .4295, throat is .4325. Figure I'll size .432.
    What alloy are you all using that gives you good results with no leading? I've got plenty of lead & lino, but no WW. What proportion do you suggest? BHN?
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Last edited by Alstep; 01-22-2019 at 02:45 AM. Reason: No WW.

Moderator Emeritus

With no other info to go by, I'd say COWW alloy.

this is a good read...or refresher if you've read it before
    http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    What are you planning to shoot this in?
    The CUP is under 40,000 and FPS under 1200

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chap...Metallurgy.htm

Hardness. So we want to make sure that a bullet isn’t too soft, or leading will result through galling and abrasion, and we want to make sure that it isn’t too hard so we don’t lose the beneficial effects of obturation, and fall prey to leading through gas-cutting. Does that mean that we have to hit a very specific hardness for each cast bullet application? Thankfully, the answer to that question is “No”. Rather, there are a range of hardness's that serve very well for each pressure/velocity level.

Useful
    Application Hardness Range
    Light target loads (<800 fps and 10,000 psi) BHN 6-12
    Standard revolver loads (800-1000 fps, 16,000 psi) BHN 8-14
    +P revolver loads (1000-1200 fps, 20,000 psi) BHN 10-16
    Magnum revolver loads (1200-1500 fps, 35,000 psi) BHN 12-20
    454 Casull (1400-1800 fps, 50,000 psi) BHN 16 and up
    The lower end of each of these hardness ranges will expand somewhat in each of these applications. Harder bullets can be used, but they won’t obturate meaning that you’ll have to use a lube capable of sealing the system, since the bullet cannot contribute to this critical job. Hard lubes probably won’t work here. Note the recurrence of BHN 12 in many of these ranges, and remember that’s what the Oldtimers used to think of as a hard bullet. We’ll come back to this thought…

I go 12-14 BHN -- COWW + 2% tin or mix or 7# pure 3# linotype -- 12.2 bhn toss in a little more tin if you dont get good fill out

Boolit Master

Ruger Redhawk. Light to medium loads, stressing accuracy. My days of punishing recoil are over. Never loaded for a 44 Mag, this came along, so would like to see what I can do with it. Just need some advise to go in the right direction.
    Thanks for your responses JonB & Conditor.

Boolit Master

I've been using 50/50 alloy, half CWW and half pure, in both a Super Redhawk and a few Super Blackhawks.

Plain base, tumble lubed, and running anywhere from 1000 fps to almost 1300 fps. Accuracy has been good enough for me; the revolvers are probably capable of better accuracy with someone besides me holding them.

Boolit Grand Master

A 44 Magnum is easy to load for. There are many powders that will go from mild to wild and the Keith type bullet usually shoots very well. You will enjoy it!

I use straight clip on wheel weights air cooled in all 3 of mine. Probably a BHN of 12 or so. Fit is more important than hardness and your target diameter should work fine. Except that many molds drop their bullets smaller than that. I size .430 and it works in all of mine.

I started casting for .44 magnum recently, and so far have only fired a few hundred rounds.
    I've used straight COWW alloy and have run both specials and full throttle magnums with no leading issues.
    My 2 molds are a Lyman 429421 and a Lee 310 grain RNFP GC.
    Life is a series of bullseyes and backstraps - Ted Nugent

Boolit Master

As long as the size fits the throats and is larger than the bore, you don't need "hard" cast. COWW with some tin to help fill out should be fine, especially for your less than Mag loads. My experience, YMMV.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Grand Master

If using an Elmer Keith bullet, use an Elmer Keith alloy. 16-1 lead to tin.

Boolit Buddy
    I have found that I don't need to push 44 mag to near maximum loads for deer hunting. I have taken more than a half dozen, the farthest at 60-65 yards, have yet to recover a boolit. I've used 3-1 wheel weights to/lead. for magnum. 1-1 for 44 spl. I have even used the 50/50 in some magnum loads, to no ill effects.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian" Henry Ford

Boolit Master

Sounds like I can use the same alloy I use for .38/.357, which is 1WW/1Pb. Except I'm out of WW, which is real scarce anymore around here. Wonder what would be the equivalent mixing Lino & lead?

Boolit Master
    COWW are reportedly around 3% Sb and maybe 0.5 to 1% Sn by my reading. Linotype is usually described as 12% Sb and 4% Sn, so a 3:1 mix of pure to COWW should yield a 95-3-1 (Pb-Sb-Sn) alloy (and trace As from the WW).

Banned

id go 5050 pure/lino. ANY alloy will shoot in a 44 mag and if its a good gun and good lube most wont lead but in my experiences harder is about allways better if your looking for the best accuracy in a good gun.

Boolit Buddy
    Since you have pure lead and lino a semi hard alloy would be 1lb of pure to a .5lb of lino which equals 94.7pb/1.33sn/4.0sb. Good for mid range and full house loads. If you drop the lino to .4lb you get 95.4pb/1.14sn/3.43sb which is pretty close to my "all around general purpose alloy" although I perfer 1.5% sn on both those. You will do fine with what you got until your gun tells you different, then you may have to buy some pure tin from rotometals. That last alloy should give about 13.5 brinell give or take a little as measured on the Lee hardness tester.
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Alstep View Post
    Going to start casting for the 44 Mag. Ordering a Keith mold, not planning to use max loads. Bore slugs .4295, throat is .4325. Figure I'll size .432.
    What alloy are you all using that gives you good results with no leading? I've got plenty of lead & lino, but no WW. What proportion do you suggest? BHN?
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    I suggest getting some tin (either ordering pure tin or find some solder or pewter locally). Mix the linotype with lead at 35% lino and 65% lead. Then add 2% tin to that. That should give you a close alloy comparable to old COWWs of yester-year. The BHN should be 11 - 13 +/- with cast AC'd and aged at least 10 days bullets. Should be very good with magnum level 44 loads. I suggest an excellent softer lube such as BAC or White Labels NRA 50/50 lube.

If your Keith mould drops bullets at 240 to 255 gr then the classic Keith load of 22 gr 2400 is still an excellent load. For a more pleasant mid range 44 load I use my "Keith" bullets (RCBS 44-250-K) over 8.5 gr of Unique. I use a softer alloy for those. Once you mix the above alloy you can soften it (makes the linotype go farther by getting more bullets per lino used) by mixing that alloy 50/50 with pure tin. Makes a nice softer bullet in the 8 BHN +/- range and is excellent for the mid range load.

Note; The mix above is predicated on new linotype. If the lino you have has been used in a print shop the % or antimony and tin in it will probably be less. If so you can use a larger % of lino but I'd not use more than 50%. Still add the 2% tin. Mix the 1st batch with the % suggested as you can always add a little more lino if needed.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 01-22-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    ^^^^+1 to this. ^^^^

Larry speaks true! In fact, if you want to drop back to 7.5-8.0 gr of Unique, your accuracy should still be pretty good and recoil will be noticeably less than “full house” loads. Adding a bit of tin always helps your bullets fill out, but has minimal effect on hardness (compared to antimony.) Sizing is pretty important though... you want to be about.001” over groove diameter if possible with a good lube such as the old standby, 50:50 Alox and Beeswax.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

My favorite cartridge is the 44 Magnum and I have cast for it since '90. I haven't had to shoot anything harder than 13-14 BHN, but normally around 11-12 BHN and there is a mix of alloys that I don't know the exact composition but checked hardness with my Lee tester. My cast bullets (from 123 gr. balls to 265 RNFP) rarely lead and I have run some up to 1,200+ fps. I believe I have cast mostly 429421 SWC and a lot of Ranch Dog 265 RNFP bullets and have excellent accuracy with both. I have had no need for any "hard cast" (?) bullets mainly because I size the bullets to the throat diameter and use a decent lube (C-Red, 45-45-10 and Speed Green). I cast/load for 5, 44 Magnums.

When I started casting I had access to a lot of wheel weights and mostly used that for my handgun bullets, Magnums too, and later purchased "range lead". Some of my alloys have become "Mystery Metal" as far as exact content but it averages 11 BHN and works well for everyday handgun bullets, mostly under 1,100 fps. At first I concentrated on bullet sizing and lubes with BHN way down the line for leading and accuracy...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’ve been running anywhere from 16:1 pure lead and pewter mix at 7.5 Bh on up in my Ruger 77/44. I’ve been powder coating and gas checking them at a thousands over with no leading. I’ve tried ac COWW, 50/50, and 80/20. I have expansion pictures on my home page from water testing. I think there’s not a wright or wrong alloy for the 44mag as long as they are powder coated and gas checked if really soft alloy is used.

I run range scrap to about 1200fps with good results. Proper fit rules, make sure your cyl throats are not sizing the bullet down or leading will happen regardless of alloy. If I need a harder alloy to go 1400fps, then I will water drop them.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I load for my 44mag RH and what Larry stated for the BHN is about what I shoot in my about 12 BHN. For the mix I use.that tested on my Lee tester. Also use it in my other cals.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast