Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: CLOSED - 4 cavity Ingot molds

Boolit Master
    I excited to see how these customs molds turn out, thanks for the work putting this together for us.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Doing the happy dance over here! Think I'll set up a folding chair and contemplate the lead stash and dream of the organization that will be visited on it when the molds arrive. Some people have pretty weird fantasies, mine are the normal sort of fantasies of Linotype, Lyman #2, Hardball, WW + 2% Sn and plain lead all lined up neatly as stacks of ingots on the shelf.

Translated: Figure out what mixes with what to make what so I can cast lots of ingots when the molds arrive. Motivate self by visualization of end results to overcome natural inclination to just cast more bullets instead of organize existing stash.
    lol, what he said.

better stated than what I was thinking.

Banned
    Lakehouse it's been a long road and 2 different threads now your idea finally came to fruition. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by drfroglegs View Post
    I hear ya RogerDat, I'm OCD too!

I have about 300 lbs of linotype in pigs that I want to melt down into ingots. I've found it can be difficult to fit a pig in a casting pot! Haha

I have ammo cans with each alloy in it. So I have ammo cans with: range lead (my main source), linotype, pewter, high antimony (that I got from here), linotype, hardball and Lyman #2. The exact alloy composition is know too from XRF analysis.
    Harbor Freight has sets of letters and number stamps for not much money. I use them to stamp ingots with type of lead or source and often a batch number or letter. Since much of the raw ingredients are in 10# slabs from bread loaf pans I use as molds and I do big batches I can get one tested and use a marker to write the alloy percentages on each slab. All the slabs with "TM-A" are the same batch "A" of type metal.

These new molds are motivating me to take some of those raw ingredients and build "known" alloys that I can stamp on the ingots. Or as you mention I have some broken pieces of Lino pigs that would store and use better as ingots. I'm guessing around 600# - 800# of lead to make into ingots of ready to cast alloy, or plain and COWW lead. The printers stuff such as lines of type or individual letters stay in raw form until use. Same for solder that is in foundry bars with Sn percentage on it. I want those in a verifiable form until use or sale.

Here is a link to the HF stamp sets. I plan on using an X to mark which type on the ingot where the label is already provided. Pb, WW, Lino. I am still mulling over how to mark "other" such as Lyman #2 or Hardball. Might just follow a Sn - Sb number for percentage ## - ## Or come up with an abbreviation or... who knows.

https://www.harborfreight.com/36-pie...set-63676.html This is the smallest set at $10 for $14 can get the next size up of 1/4 inch stamps. Don't forget to use a smart phone to locate the 20% off coupon. Brings those prices down even more.

I learned that a 50 caliber ammo can of bullets weighs waaaay more than I want to pick up but ingots wouldn't be as bad. Probably prevent some of that oxidation too.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I too am like you, RogerDat. Contemplating the possibilities is great entertainment for me.

I use the HF stamps to mark my ingots now. Mostly it's lot numbers, but I've also marked content of Sb and Sn in three digits (005 is 0.5%). For ten pound storage ingots stamping on a total of ten numbers and letters (some stamps are taped two or three together and done simultaneously) is worthwhile to me. But the same weight of 2.5# ingots is four times the work, and I'm not quite sure there's enough space on the ingot. We shall see soon!

Vendor Sponsor

A bit more eye-candy.... Ingot mold dies are complete, they sent me this short video tonight and wanted to share. They will be installing the dies tomorrow and will run the entire production order this week. He believes that he can have it packed and crated by end of this week!!! WooHoo!!!

Boolit Buddy

That is fascinating! Glad someone like you is in charge of this group buy. I wouldn't even know where to start to get something like this done. Thanks again for all your hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakehouse2012 View Post
    UPDATE on the ingot molds-

MY caster is putting the final touches on the dies this week, and will start running mold flow and production testing for porosity early next week. Once they get the machine dialed in, they will run the entire order in a single day. If all goes well, he will be packaging these up and shipping them to me next week. Keep growing your lead piles, help is on the way....

For anyone that didnt order, let me know, I have a few more that I can sell.
    I’ll buy a few if you’ve still got any left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Is that the spacing of the ingots when cast? Hopefully there will be more space in between them as there doesn't seem like a lot of draft in between the ingots.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    Is that the spacing of the ingots when cast? Hopefully there will be more space in between them as there doesn't seem like a lot of draft in between the ingots.
    There is 7 degrees draft on each side. 3.5mm is the radius at the top between each. It will provide optimum casts so long as you dont flow over the top

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by jnutz19 View Post
    I’ll buy a few if you’ve still got any left.

I put you down for 4 molds, and noted the MO is in route. Remember to put your CB user name on the MO so I can keep track of who you are on the forum.

Thanks Sir!

Boolit Master
    Like I said, I literally have a ton of alloy waiting...

Vendor Sponsor

And here is the final mold! They are boxing everything up and will have it on its way to the shipper today!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finished parts 07APR19.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	239380

Boolit Buddy

Awesome! Those look almost polished. Lead should drop out of those like melted butter!

Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Lakehouse2012 View Post
    And here is the final mold! They are boxing everything up and will have it on its way to the shipper today!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finished parts 07APR19.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	239380

Boolit Master

Glad I upped my order to 6! Nice.

Boolit Bub
    Question. What type of handle would I use with these?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dyecocker1 View Post
    Question. What type of handle would I use with these?
    I plan to use a big pair of lineman's pliers or vise grips.

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    I plan to use a big pair of lineman's pliers or vise grips.
    Yea I was planning on using vise grips as well

Boolit Master

I have been using vice grips for years on the ingot molds with just that little ear.

Boolit Buddy
    WOW......!!! They look even better than I was expecting!

Can’t wait for them to arrive....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast