MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: CLOSED - 4 cavity Ingot molds

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Sekatoa View Post
    Can’t wait to recast a bunch of ingots and scrap into consistent ingots and marking!

Are you going to post all the tracking numbers? JK lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    laughing hard... (the filters snipped my real comments) - Tracking numbers....

Ive been boxing for the last 3 hours, here is where i call it a night. Ill hit PO with these tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    Excellent! A steady stream of drool just trickled over my chin.
    SAF Patron (Life) | GOA (Life) | NRA Benefactor (Life) | MSRPA (Life)

Boolit Master
    Thank you lakehouse for taking the time to meet up with me and let me grab mine.

Very impressed with quality and finish. Now if I didn’t have the yard sales this week that wife is dragging me to I’d actually be able to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    Thank you lakehouse for taking the time to meet up with me and let me grab mine.

Very impressed with quality and finish. Now if I didn’t have the yard sales this week that wife is dragging me to I’d actually be able to use them.
    Dang lucky dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I'm glad I stood in line for this one. These are going to become collectible classics.

Moderator Emeritus

It was a very short line. Thanks.

Major Jealousy attack StuBach! I now know how my one dog feels when the other dog scoots in between her and the object of her affection to get her ears scratched first.

I'm hopping up and down like a young kid in the half time bathroom line at a Lions game after a super sized soft drink.

So anyone know how heavy the ingots ended up being? Less than 3 lbs. or closer to 2 lbs. or ? I think these molds warrant a bottom pour ladle and want to figure out the best size to order. Those buggers go up a lot in price and weight for additional ladle capacity. I am thinking that a #3 or #4 ladle will be sufficient. They have 4 and 4.5 lbs. capacity. Pretty close in price too. Might be efficient to use a #6 ladle to do all 4 cavities in one shot but I have no desire to try and work with over 20 lbs. of weight for each pouring.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 04-26-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Major Jealousy attack StuBach! I now know how my one dog feels when the other dog scoots in between her and the object of her affection to get her ears scratched first. I was supposed to be petting those molds.

I'm hopping up and down like a young kid in the bathroom line at a Lions game after a super sized soft drink.

So anyone know how heavy the ingots ended up being? Less than 3 lbs. or closer to 2 lbs. or ?
    LOL

Several have asked weight, but i dont have a scale that i could measure them on, well maybe the bathroom scale.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Major Jealousy attack StuBach! I now know how my one dog feels when the other dog scoots in between her and the object of her affection to get her ears scratched first. I was supposed to be petting those molds.

I'm hopping up and down like a young kid in the bathroom line at a Lions game after a super sized soft drink.

So anyone know how heavy the ingots ended up being? Less than 3 lbs. or closer to 2 lbs. or ?
    Sorry buddy, thought about trying to grab yours too but figured the shipping might be faster for you cause I’m in Saginaw all day today and again tomorrow so wouldn’t be able to bring them down you way till Sunday at the earliest but if you want I can prolly meet up with lakehouse again tomorrow and grab yours if they haven’t already shipped.

As for weight, I will try and heat up the furnace tonight when I get home and see if I can’t get some good pours to check weight.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    Sorry buddy, thought about trying to grab yours too but figured the shipping might be faster for you cause I’m in Saginaw all day today and again tomorrow so wouldn’t be able to bring them down you way till Sunday at the earliest but if you want I can prolly meet up with lakehouse again tomorrow and grab yours if they haven’t already shipped.

As for weight, I will try and heat up the furnace tonight when I get home and see if I can’t get some good pours to check weight.
    I'll be seeing Lakehouse soon enough! But thanks for the offer. Look forward to finding out the weight. You give me a shout if you need some alloy to go into all those pretty ingots you will be making. Man I would have liked to see the look on the face of the post office person when that load showed up.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

CLOSED - 4 cavity Ingot molds

I’ve got a question.... how do y’all fill the ingot molds with lead?? I’ve only ever used the Lee I got molds and just use a ladle but it doesn’t work perfectly.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jnutz19 View Post
    I’ve got a question.... how do y’all fill the ingot molds with lead?? I’ve only ever used the Lee I got molds and just use a ladle but it doesn’t work perfectly.

Personally I only have a lee 20lb pot currently so I pour direct from that by tipping on its side. Has worked pretty well for me thus far. I also have a rowel ladle that works awesome it is a little hard to fill in the pot though.

Vendor Sponsor

Ive always used a cheap soup ladle. I think RogerRat has the right idea with a better made, larger one.

"Eventually"... i want to get with my die caster on a design for a ladle that might work well. But this would be months away.

You need a fairly high wattage hot plate (900 watt or better) a Coleman camp stove if you reinforce it to handle the weight of the lead. can handle a moderate sized pot of lead. Possibly the most common is a propane burner from a turkey or fish fryer. Sometimes from garage sales they can be had for $10 but only after you purchase a new one for around $50 https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic.../dp/B000291GBQ Just do NOT use the aluminum pot that comes with them, the aluminum will soften and "pop" a leak under the pressure and temperatures of molten lead. People use all sorts of pots. Harbor Freight sells a good sized cast iron Dutch oven for around $25 with 20% off coupon available online. Cut the top off of a propane tank is a really big pot that works well. Salvation Army will have good sized stainless steel or cast iron pots. Just pay attention to the handles, that black plastic will fail under molten lead temperatures. Those long handled propane torches used to do tar roofs or burn weed can also be used by arranging blocks to support a pot with the burner end aimed at it. https://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-91033.html

Small pot with angle iron dropped across large fish fryer grate to support it. Note the solid handle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-06-03 10.08.46.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	240455

Side view of a fish fryer from Walmart

Name:	2015-05-06 00.01.35.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	240456

Loaded with scrap lead pipe to melt down in Harbor Freight cast iron Dutch oven. Never add "cold" lead to a molten pot. Look up tinsel fairy - evil wench and well worth avoiding.

Name:	2015-11-01 13.02.21.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	240457

Just a cool picture of molten lead with sawdust flux cooking. Note the bread pans to make ingots pre-warming. Not any more gonna have cool Cast Boolit ingot molds!

Name:	2015-05-19 21.44.05.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	240458

Boolit Master

CLOSED - 4 cavity Ingot molds

Of the three I could make this afternoon the average came in at 2lb 6.5oz when pouring COWW. Did a couple of SOWW ingots as well and they came in at about 2lbs 7.5oz.

Sorry, I’m a bit light on COWW I realized today so I could only make 3 ingots.

Idea for marking?
    Last edited by StuBach; 04-26-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    I also tried stacking them as planned in a small flat rate box and found they are slightly wide so putting in across does bulge the box slightly. (Please note on of my ingots was not full fill out so bulge will be a little more). This might actually be a good thing given that they won’t shift at all in box.

Height and length were perfect for 2 high.

By happy accident though the width is almost the same height as the box so you can also stack them on their sides.

Final assessment: awesome mold that I am thrilled to have and once again, thank you Lakehouse for all the effort.

Boolit Master

FYI, if you ship in a SFRB it is advised to first put them in one of the Tyvek envelopes. That way even if the box is broken they cannot leak out one at a time.

Boolit Bub

I made myself a 200lb bottom pour. Ingots galore

Boolit Master
    the pics of them look great,i appreciate your work to get them for us

Quote Originally Posted by dyecocker1 View Post
    I made myself a 200lb bottom pour. Ingots galore
    Wow how’d you do that??

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast