RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Which Ultradot for 44 mag SRH and 357 GP100

Boolit Bub

Which Ultradot for 44 mag SRH and 357 GP100

I have recently thought about switching over to a red dot sight on my 2 magnum pistols. I have a 357 GP100 and am looking for a good used SRH in 44 mag. I will use them for both hunting and plinking around the house, no competitions. Now that I'm 55, my vision is beginning to mess with my handgunning via iron sights.

I believe I have narrowed it down to a choice between two ultradots. The Ultradot 30 or the Matchdot 2. Not a lot of price difference so I'm leaning toward the Matchdot 2. I'll use the Ruger mounts on the SRH, and probably a Weigand base for the GP100.

Thoughts between these 2 for hunting and plinking?
    Thanks,

Boolit Master

The Ultradots 30mm are a excellent RDS , From a lot of experience with RDS I would go with a single dot size and forget the variable dot size RDS, something else to break on a 44mag and up and they do break! and dot size tracking is not always repeatable when changing dot sizes back & forth, close range 50' or less may be ok !

Boolit Master
    Either would do well on the gun(s). I've had both. I like the Match Dot2 better. Just a personal preference.

Boolit Bub

I have several MatchdotII & Ultradot 6's. And prefer the Ultradot 6, has little finer adjustments. Had one of the MatchdotII fail on my SBHH, rest of them have been great. Take a look at the 6 as well.

The MatchDot II needs a slightly wider ring spacing to clear the turret assembly. SRH factory spacing might be cutting it close? Worth considering, choice might be decided for you with that one unless using an aftermarket mount like a Weigh-a-tinny. My 2 cents.

Boolit Bub
    On the SRH I want to use the factory rings if possible so I will definitely have to look at that spacing.

One of my questions is the dot size. The 4 MOA seems like it would be fine for hunting, really was thinking about the Matchdot II so I could go between 2 and 4, but with my aging eyes, not sure that a 2 MOA dot would be good enough at 25 yards it would only be 1/2" if I'm calculating that correctly. Not sure if that would be big enough to see.

Boolit Master
    Don't let dot size influence your decision. Here's a group shot at 114 yards with a three minute dot. Here's a couple of red dots that were mounted on both 44mag handgun and 45-70 rifle. No problems with them holding up. I've had other UltraDots also. Good sights.

Boolit Bub
    Will all of them hold up to the 44 magnum? I kind of like the reticle on the Ultradot 6.

I'd go with the 1x25 2MOA gen 2. I love mine.

I had an original 1" ultra-dot on my Ruger SBH .44 mag. It was bullet proof, never had an issue in 15 yrs. Sold the SBH and got a Redhawk or I would still have it.

Boolit Master
    Any of them will hold up. Just get the one you like the most. I called them and they told me they'd cover them on any gun, even my 44mag and 45-70. No problem they said. Based on their reputation, I believe them.

Boolit Master
    Love my Ultra Dot 30 that’s on my Ruger SBH 44. Probably 500 full house loads later still doing fine. Lifetime guarantee. Probably others would do as well but it’s my only ‘real’ red dot.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!