WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 38 s&w loads

Boolit Buddy

38 s&w loads

Went to the gun show one time and this followed me home 38 S&W 3rd gen. dates around 1885 unless I'm mistaken. Was thinking of getting it going but can only fire double action until get single working but hey that's why they made double action. Going to order up some starline brass and maybe use 125 38 bullets until i get a mold and was going to just crimp with 9mm die. Then yesterday at a gun show found a new set of 38 s&w lee dies for $10. Any body done up some light loads for one of these after all what good is a gun if you don't shoot it. Always wanted a scofield sadly this is probably as close as I will get, well not sadly as this is cool. I've anywhere from a couple grains of bulleye or the like it 10gr blackpowder. Love my blackpowder but may just stay away with this one.

Attachment 234429
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In the S&W topbreaks don't exceed 2 grains of Bullseye with 158-grain bullet. 2.5 would be OK with 125.

Good load is 148-grain HBWC seated out to 1.20" OAL with 2.2-2.4 grains Bullseye.
    OK to start a full grain less, then seat to 1.0" OAL and will exit revolver barrel OK. Mild report like a cap pistol.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I got my brass today and here what I'm up to. Loaded a dummy load and haven't even hit the crimp groove on 125 gr .357. Have some 38 wad cutters but not sure which to go with. Going to go light loads unique or bullseye so what do you guys think. I don't think the bullet jump is to bad but just wondering. I'm sure I have some longer 158gr I could use. First pic oal was 135 second is set at 2.0 and still haven't hit suggested oal.

Attachment 234954Attachment 234955Attachment 234956

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....

Boolit Bub
    I have that same revolver. I fill the case to within about 1/10" with 3 fg black powder. Then I put a felt wad cut with a flared, sharpened 38 spl case, soaked in melted crisco on top of the powder, then I push a .360" round ball down to just beyond the middle and roll crimp. Tons of fun!

Boolit Buddy
    Nice that sounds like a hoot...maybe give it a try one day. So are you using the 38 s&w case?

Boolit Master
    2 GRAINS red dot nice light load use a 22rf case for powder scoop

Boolit Buddy
    Loaded up some rounds to get started. Used a 148gr wad cutter but have no hollow base. 2gr of bullseye as suggested setted at 1.2 so we'll see how it goes, fine I'm sure.

Attachment 235023
    Last edited by Lethemgo; 02-01-2019 at 06:36 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been using 2.2 grs of Titegroup with a 148 hollow base wadcutter in the same revolver. Don't remember oal, but it's about the same as a factory round or a bit longer. Shoots nice, mild, and to sights at about 25yds. If it ever gets warmer up here I have some plated 125gr hollow base hollow point rounds to try.