Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lube for dry skin?

Boolit Bub

Lube for dry skin?

I use Barry Darr lube (with case lube, not STP) on my boolits. I was loading .45ACP the other day, and my hands were chapped. After a while, the lube melted on them, and they felt a lot better. I had a leftover container of it, and have been using it on my hands and feet! They’re not cracked and itching anymore..

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    It’s probably the lanolin in it. You can always get Bag Balm it works great. Maybe someone should try it for case lube.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect...getName=sp_atf

Boolit Master
    I take equal amounts of olive oil, raw beeswax and cocoa butter, slowly heat it up in a pan until everything is melted. Then, pour the mixture into a muffin tin. After they cool off and harden, put the whole thing in the freezer for 15-20 minutes, and they should pop out easily. Just store them in a sandwich bag in the refrigerator. Keep one out, in a small container, for daily use.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    It’s probably the lanolin in it. You can always get Bag Balm it works great. Maybe someone should try it for case lube.

Look it up, it's been used for a long time. I bought a couple cans and it works great. Actually Vaseline works fine as a case lube too. I have a container of STP and it works great, but it smells bad and I don't use it much anymore unless I don't have anything else. The most important part of lubing cases is a thin, even coat over the entire length of the case and not a big wad at the top. The lube does not flow along the case as it goes into the die.

Boolit Master
    It's not case lube but I found that Aquaphor for dry hands works great. It comes in a plastic tube. It works for me.
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Vaseline is my go to for dry skin and chapped lips. Clears it all up within a couple of days of use and I can stop using it. If I use chapstick, it curative over the long term.

Never tried Vaseline as a boolit lube. Gotta think that one over!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Man
    As GregLaROCHE mentioned it is probably the lanaolin. I was looking for some to make homemade case lube and when I searched the web I found a lot of ways it's used for chafing, by mothers.

I also make my own fly fishing dry fly floatant using Albolene. That stuff works really well as a moisturizer. My fingers used to crack from dryness after a couple days of fly fishing. Now they stay plenty moisturized and I have no problems.

Boolit Bub
    I use Vaseline instead of beeswax. It works really well, and it smells good.

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Olive oil has been used for many centuries as an "all purpose" skin care and "whatever" ya need it for oil. Not bad to take a teaspoon off and on for internal issues.
    I am not sure how well it would work in a combustion engine though....
    I have used it for many years mixed about 45% / 55% with beeswax as my "all purpose" lube, leather protector and whatever "give it a try" goop. Works very nicely on toast or crackers also.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

I don't usually have problems with dry hands, but with heel fissures, which can be painful and hobbling. However, a few weeks ago, my hands looked and felt awful. Dry, callouses on the knuckles, bleeding cracks, what the hell. I visited my little town's pharmacy for a salve and noticed a new product, which the counter guy told me had been strongly recommended by another customer. I'm here to recommend it strongly to you guys. The first time I used it, all pain and redness disappeared in the first few minutes. 3 days of regular use saw my hands completely healed.

So, I tried it on my heel fissures, with similar amazing results. The pharmacy carried only the hand product, so I searched Amazon and found the hand salve and an associated foot product that I bought and have been using.

Company is named O'Keeffe's (yeah, double F). Hand cream is called "Working Hands" and the foot goop is "Healthy Feet." I now regard both these as essential household tools.

The ingredients do not include lanolin or beeswax, but do include urea, a known treatment for calloused skin.

Boolit Bub
    O’Keeffe’s is really good. I’ve used it before. My heels crack quite often, too. I work with my hands and they’d gotten cracks, too. I had been loading lubed boolits and my hands got soft. That’s how I got the idea.

Boolit Master

Corn Husker's Oil, great for cracked heels & my fingertips cracking in dry weather.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I'm going to have to try that O'Keeffe's on my heels. They aren't cracking but they're always very dry and I anticipate that if I don't get it taken care of soon, cracking will be next. Vaseline is helping a great deal, though, but it's taking it's sweet dang time.

Thanks for the tip.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    Felix lube
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

When I'm pressing my boolits out of a cake of Emmert's (beeswax, unsalted lard, canola oil, and a daub of lanolin), I always end up with lube on my hands and they stay soft for a day or two after unless I clean them with Goop (or similar) right away.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

Lanolin and bag balm have been used by dairy farmers to soothe milk cows for years

Another vote for Bag Balm. Works for me.....and the cows.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Add me to the list ... Bag Balm
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    My heels get pretty bad over winter. I use A & D ointment on them and they shape up quickly. Also helps my grizzled mug that has been savaged by wind, whiskey and winstons.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post

What Greg said ... Bag Balm , lots o lanolin in it + other good healing stuff ! ... It's The Balm !!!
    Sorry about the bad pun... it's Friday and the Ancient Aliens made me do it ...I gotta stop watching that show ... but they have takenn controllllle ooff mmmyy minnndd
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 05-28-2021 at 05:33 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast