Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad gas after eating venison

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I believe my tolerance is building up. I’ve been baby stepping it with only a couple pieces a day without sounding off...more than normal that is.

I always try save and eat my deer liver. I have been researching how to make it. I always cut it up, wash the blood off and fry it up. Sometimes it’s smells nasty and tastes good, some times it tastes as nasty as it smells and then cleans me out. Im Trying something new. I read on line to soak it in salt water and apple cider vinegar for a day or two to drain the blood out and the vinegar I guess softens the meat. I know vinegar will kill bugs and bacteria off my fruit when soaked in water. Well, it’s on it’s third drain and fill since yesterday and most the blood is out of it. Just need to rise it off in cold water when done and it’s not sopose to absorb the vinegar or salt. A few more hours and I’ll soak it in milk. I read milk also brakes down the enzymes like vinegar to soften the meat and takes the metal and bitter taste out of it. Guess I’ll find out. I would assume vinegar killed any bacteria that might have been in the meat. I froze it up without aging the liver. It went into my freezer about and hour and a half after I harvested it.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-23-2019 at 03:13 PM.

You might want to save that recipe/combination for when guests overstay.

One time I came in from shooting FF in .45-70, and had the stinky, Sulphur smelling empty cases in my pocket.
    I had no more gotten inside and the wife said, "You've been outside all day, and you just had to run in here and do that"!

Years ago, we were sitting around in the hanger waiting for a bird to get back, and the conversation was about how to get the gas out of pinto beans. One guy said his wife cooked a potato in with them to absorb all their gas. A few days later he was ripping 'em off like a pack mule. When questioned about his wife's de-gassing method, he replied, "I ate the potato".
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 01-23-2019 at 04:33 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Might as well add another. When my kids were little, #2 son had a couple of friends over and they were playing a video game in his room. The return air is in my bedroom. I had to use the bathroom and left the door open, the AC kicked on and sucked up all the fumes...straight into his bedroom. Them boys come running out and coughing and gagging. Pointing fingers at each other. I'm done by then, so I get to watch the fun. Least I thought it was funny. I didn't put the return filter next to the bathroom. But you can bet I had fun when they had company.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Mold
    Duck gutz does it for me.
    Internal multiplication goes on for about 24 hours followed by the dispersal phase.

A farting horse will never tire,
    and a farting man is the one to hire.

Banned

two things your probably seeing. First the jerky cure is probably causing it with the jerky. Second your problem with rare venison probably comes from the fact that its very hard for humans to break down blood. I don't get gas from rare steak but it binds me up pretty bad. For your jerky cure isn't really needed unless your leaving it out on the counter. If its cooked to the proper temp (at least a 140 degrees. I do mine to 160) and frozen or put in the fridge and at within a week you don't need a cure. Try replacing your curing salt with plain kosure or canning salt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I made some awesome tasting deer jerky the other day out of back straps in my smoker and I’ll be darned if it takes 5 to 10 minutes after eating it I sound like a tuba till the next morning when it leaves my system. My gas smells just like dead deer or road kill as well. After about a couple hours of non stop wind braking my house smelled like a sewer backed up! It was good, clean fresh meat from the buck I took bow hunting in November that’s been froze for about two months. I gave some to my buddies kids and they never had gas...just me...two days in a row. This also happens to me if I cook venison steaks rare and it will clean me out in a hurry also...first the thunder, then the lightning! Well cooked venison burger that I soaked in milk or virgin oil For a while before frying up to the point it’s crunchy on the edges I have no problems with or even fresh out of the deer thinly cut butterfly chops fried up in olive oil with a little pink and I’m OK. Canned venison I’m good to go as well. It’s not every time I make venison but I would say a third of the time. Am I not cooking it long enough? Cleaning the meat well enough? Protein overload? Maybe I just have weak guts? I normally don’t age my meat and process the deer as soon as I’m out of the woods or at the latest the next morning so I wonder if there is too much blood in it yet causing the issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    two things your probably seeing. First the jerky cure is probably causing it with the jerky. Second your problem with rare venison probably comes from the fact that its very hard for humans to break down blood. I don't get gas from rare steak but it binds me up pretty bad. For your jerky cure isn't really needed unless your leaving it out on the counter. If its cooked to the proper temp (at least a 140 degrees. I do mine to 160) and frozen or put in the fridge and at within a week you don't need a cure. Try replacing your curing salt with plain kosure or canning salt.
    Can’t remember the brand but bought the triangular cardboard kit for around $5.99 from farm and barn. They also make seasonings to mix in for breakfast sausage.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Lloyd
    have you tried this with sausages or snack sticks and if so by replacing the sure cure with kosher salt are you holding the meat in a fridge overnight or stuffing immediately ?
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 01-24-2019 at 12:31 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I believe my tolerance is building up. I’ve been baby stepping it with only a couple pieces a day without sounding off...more than normal that is.

I always try save and eat my deer liver. I have been researching how to make it. I always cut it up, wash the blood off and fry it up. Sometimes it’s smells nasty and tastes good, some times it tastes as nasty as it smells and then cleans me out. Im Trying something new. I read on line to soak it in salt water and apple cider vinegar for a day or two to drain the blood out and the vinegar I guess softens the meat. I know vinegar will kill bugs and bacteria off my fruit when soaked in water. Well, it’s on it’s third drain and fill since yesterday and most the blood is out of it. Just need to rise it off in cold water when done and it’s not sopose to absorb the vinegar or salt. A few more hours and I’ll soak it in milk. I read milk also brakes down the enzymes like vinegar to soften the meat and takes the metal and bitter taste out of it. Guess I’ll find out. I would assume vinegar killed any bacteria that might have been in the meat. I froze it up without aging the liver. It went into my freezer about and hour and a half after I harvested it.

...just fried the liver up for breakfast. Took it over to my parents house since my mom loves liver. It was the best tasting, most tender venison liver I ever had! It almost was as soft as chicken liver believe it or not. Next time I won’t soak it as long so it has more of a liver taste though.

Banned

smoke ive only used it with jerky and keep it froze till I want to eat it and refridgerated after its open. I let all my sausage sit overnight and really like two nights not so much that you need to do it to cure it as it will cure right in the smoker but more to (I have no better words to say this) to marinade the spices into the meat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Lloyd
    have you tried this with sausages or snack sticks and if so by replacing the sure cure with kosher salt are you holding the meat in a fridge overnight or stuffing immediately ?

Yeah I get gas pretty bad for deer meat these days also been eating it all my life but about the last 10 years getting worse I'm turning 50 in a few days , ground deer meat in meat loaf or burger form don't bother me near as bad . Yes I season my meat pretty heavy but I do that with all kinds of meat beef, pork ect . I believe it's because deer is very high in iron . I can eat super spicy foods without problems it's just the deer meat that does it to me . The worst ever was the first time I ever ate canned deer meat .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

This thread brings back old memories, any time I gave the dog some deer and wild bird she would run you out of the house with gas,
    I could do the same man it would stink, don't wear coveralls when you're eating that stuff,, you can't get away from it.

Moderator Emeritus

Pheasant does me in, and my dad... I was up at their house visiting and mom made pheasant in mushroom gravy served over wild rice. We were playing pool in the basement after supper and mom acrually hollered down the steps to quit farting in the house, she was gagging!

I always wanted to patent charcoal lined underwear.

I just ate the last three pieces of jerky and they're talking to me I guess it just depends on the day!
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-29-2019 at 03:11 AM.

I’m going to make some pickled northern next week. I just remembered it gives me gas as well. I believe it’s the onion’s fault!

Boolit Mold
    To everyone who posted on this thread ----- thank you , I'm still chuckling an hour after I read them .
    Keep on poppin' ( my old man always used to say when he let fly , " an empty house is better than a bad tenant " ) .
    mzzldr

Boolit Buddy
    That"ll learn ya again shootin critters out of a bean field.

Hey!!! I’m getting ready to put some carp in my little totem to smoke and found two big giant pieces of venison jerky I somehow missed on the top rack! It looks and smells great and is pliable...who is brave enough to take a bite? I betcha no gas...just straight through ya.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-08-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the laugh, although I probably wouldn't be laughing, if I was there.

Is there such a thing as good gas?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast