Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ed's red. In Hoppes 9 bottle?

Boolit Master

Ed's red. In Hoppes 9 bottle?

Wondering if keeping some in a plastic Hoppes 9 bottle would be safe for range trips. I had a small glass jar that got broken last outing. Thanks.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Don't know what plastic the Hoppe's bottle is. ER mixed with acetone will eat up HDPE bottles, but PET and PVC bottles are OK.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

It depends upon what you put in your mix and what plastic Hoppe's uses. Look for the triangular symbol on the bottle to see what it is and Google "plastics chemical compatibility chart". I use an old glass Hoppe's bottle.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Banned
    In theory if the strongest solvent in your home brew cleaner is say acetone, then the acetone bottle SHOULD be a good thing to use for a short term storage solution.

However a REALLY big glass bottle may be more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by crankycalico View Post
    In theory if the strongest solvent in your home brew cleaner is say acetone, then the acetone bottle SHOULD be a good thing to use for a short term storage solution.

However a REALLY big glass bottle may be more fun.
    Good suggestion. My acetone comes in a can but fingernail polish remover is mostly acetone and usually comes in a plastic bottle so ask your wife for a range bottle.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

You can get generic acetone finger nail polish at walmart or dollar general for a buck or so. dump it out and refill with ed's. I usually carry either a bottle of Hoppes or a small can of Ballistol.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    If ya want you can take a glass bottle like for hoppes#9 and duct tape the bottle all around bottom included & up to the neck where the lid goes on & then put a lint free cotton rag that fits inside the bottle almost stuffed to fill the bottle then fill with Ed's Red, or what ever solvent ya want in it, filled to the top.

even one of those eyedropper glass ones will work in a pinch if ya still have one around.

The lint free cotton rag (old worn & tore up t-shirt should work) will soak up the solvent to reduce spillage, IF you do break the glass & the duct tape will keep the glass in one place so the glass is not shattered all over and help keep leakage to a minimum if there is a crack in the glass.

When it is time to use, you can draw part of the rag out & squeeze/wring it to get the solvent where ya like, & if ya want to soak patches, you can either use the solvent in the bottle that is not absorbed by the rag, or also squeeze/wring out the solvent from the rag onto the patch(es) & then use it to wipe or punch bore, etc...

Just some suggestions for folks if they want to try it & don't have a plastic bottle, but do have a glass one, like the one Hoppes 39 used to come in. I dunno if Hoppes quit using glass bottles or not. I just re-use mine like said above with Ed's Red, although I do not use the acetone due to concerns about plastic parts on some firearms..

G'Luck!
    Last edited by JBinMN; 01-20-2019 at 08:51 PM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Ok im good according the the chart. The only thing that effects the plastic they use is chlorine.

Boolit Bub
    HDPE plastic will deteriorate with acetone. LDPE plastic will not. I don't use acetone in my general Ed's Red mix.

Boolit Master
    I believe the only reason for the acetone in the Ed's Red mix is for shotgun cleaning to remove the residue from plastic wads...………….
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Master
    I bought some bottles from Midway that I use for different cleaning chemicals for my firearms. They weren't expensive, and the chemicals have yet to melt them.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine gave me a quart of Ed's Red that he mixed in a plastic liquor bottle. That was 15 years ago and the bottle is still intact.
    Unfortunately my friend emptied too many liquor bottles and he has been dead 11 years.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    A friend of mine gave me a quart of Ed's Red that he mixed in a plastic liquor bottle. That was 15 years ago and the bottle is still intact.
    Unfortunately my friend emptied too many liquor bottles and he has been dead 11 years.
    While it is sad to hear of the loss of your friend, your mentioning the liquor bottle is a good idea since it appears to have worked well for you.

Now it is time for me, or anyone who might be interested in doing so, to venture out to the local liquor/package store & get one or maybe a few of those little mini bottles of ones favorite adult beverage, (like they used to have on airlines years ago... I have not flown for decades so I do not know if they still have them on planes) empty one, (or more) in an appropriate manner & use them afterwards when empty, filling them with ones favorite solvent, for placing solvent in a portable kit.

Marked for the new contents though , to prevent any accidental imbibing of the solvent.

Solves the OPs situation if the Hoppes # 9 bottle he mentions is unsuitable & certainly is a lot more fun than some of the other solutions posted, including my own...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb in Pa View Post
    I believe the only reason for the acetone in the Ed's Red mix is for shotgun cleaning to remove the residue from plastic wads...………….
    I thought the same thing, until I read Ed's article on it. The acetone is mainly to increase the speed and effectiveness of the mix to remove powder residue. Said it will work as well without it, just slower....charlie

Boolit Grand Master

From time to time I come across large amounts of those glass airline bottles. Is there any interest in them? I never thought anyone would want some. No tops,though but saran wrap and a twist tie would probably work

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by charlie3tuna View Post
    I thought the same thing, until I read Ed's article on it. The acetone is mainly to increase the speed and effectiveness of the mix to remove powder residue. Said it will work as well without it, just slower....charlie
    my understanding is that is what the acetone is for so i leave it out

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    From time to time I come across large amounts of those glass airline bottles. Is there any interest in them? I never thought anyone would want some. No tops,though but saran wrap and a twist tie would probably work
    The little "mini- bottles' of booze around here are plastic now a days. Have not held a glass one in my hand since I flew domestic many years ago. Kind of cool you still have some available.

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

I keep mine in a Military cleaning fluid metal can (olive drab). I'd bet you can find them at Army/Navy stores or other places that sell Mil-Surp. I think I got mine from "Cheaper than Dirt" about 25 years ago. I store my ER in a 1 gallon can then transfer 8 oz at a time to the Military metal can.

I'd be real afraid to put it in a liquor bottle....if someone has been drinking enough...even an altered label might not stop someone from accidental ingestion...which would likely cause death. I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for that.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

EDG, wasn't Crown Royal in a plastic bottle was it? Maybe McCormick vodka. Extremes of both can be killers.

Boolit Master

I have the bottle sitting in a stainless steel dish. It's holding up good. I think im good to go next outing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast