Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Chargemaster Lite vs 1500

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS Chargemaster Lite vs 1500

Hornady Auto powder dispenser went tango uniform yesterday. Buttons aren't working on the lower row. Still seems to weigh ok. I've had a bunch of Hornady product issues the last few years and prefer to look elsewhere. I've been eyeing the RCBS Chargemaster vs the Lyman Gen 6 Vs others. Reports here seem favorable on the RCBS. Hoping to get current and updated opinions.

Boolit Bub
    I have been using the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 for about 8-10 years (time flies, I can't remember). It has been flawless. I got one for my dad a few years ago, and we had some issues. RCBS customer service was fantastic, and they ended up sending him a new unit when we could not get his dialed in.

If mine stopped working, I would replace it with another one.

Boolit Master

been happy with my 1500 for about a dozen years.

I am very happy with my 1500. I really don’t know the difference between the 1500 and the lite.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a 1500 in the past and currently own 2 of the lite's.

The lite is just as accurate.
    It is a little bit slower with regular powders.
    It does not overthrow like the 1500 often does. In 1000's of rounds i've used my lites for i have had one overcharge that needed to be returned to the hopper. In contrast the 1500 would do that about 1:10 on average.

Over the course of a loading session you'll usually finish faster with the Lite as the number of errors that need to discarded and done again is almost nil.

The Lite is very slow with coarse "fluffy" powders like Unique or Trail Boss. It's a bit slower with ball powders and only a second or two behind with stick powders.

I'm running 2 lites side by side and it really speeds up the process. Here in Aus we can often buy 2 lites on sale for less than the price of a 1500.

I did this video some time ago showing how the Lite differs in operation to the 1500 and why it has less overthrows.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0djO...rphtebk0h00410
    Last edited by CamoWhamo; 01-20-2019 at 08:25 PM.

Shoot...I'm still running with this ole rig here...still running strong.

BUT...if I had to replace it I sure like the reviews on the Chargemaster Light.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Banned
    No complaints about my RCBS Chargemaster Lite

Boolit Mold
    I have a 1500 and it’s done a good job. I decreased the overthrows with a insert. But they do still occur from time to time. My brother has a lite and it is a little slower but he hardly ever has a overthrow. So our experience has been like others here.

Boolit Master

I have the Chargemaster lite and love it. It works very well and is accurate. I bought mine at Brownells, they have a lifetime warranty on everything they sell. They always have a sale or two going on.

I would like the 1500’s better if they didn’t auto zero, I don’t like measuring tools changing without my knowledge.

Boolit Master

I bought a Chargemaster 1500 after a buddy had his in my reloading room for a year or more and then he got a new place to reload so it left. All together I've been using them for about 5 years. Every time I check it against my 5-0-5 they match exactly. I was surprised when my friend brought his in at how accurate it was. I was probably surprised because I have an unimpressive $40 Franklin Arsenal that won't respond to tricking and is not sensitive enough for small volumes of powder. My steel plate load is 3.7 grains and the FA electronic scale was useless at that weight. The FA is good for weighing boolits, though.

I've found that if the air conditioner is on I need to turn it off when I'm using it, though. My reloading room is only 11'x11' and the air currents disturbed the scale. Not complaining about the room size. It's perfect for me; it's just that a bigger room with a window unit AC might have less air motion. My friend's was the same way. I also like having the electronic scale for weighing boolits quickly.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    I have had the RCBS 1500 for more than 10 years and have never regretted my purchase. The only problem I ever had was a few years ago the power adapter went out, but a call to RCBS resolved the problem. Actually, they sent me two adapters just in case one ever failed again I would have a spare. How can you complain about service like that?

Boolit Master

I'm wondering about the new dispenser that Frankford Arsenal is about to release.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I'm wondering about the new dispenser that Frankford Arsenal is about to release.
    Problem is new products don't have a track record and I don't have a clue as to FA's customer service, but RCBS's customer service has been first rate for me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    Problem is new products don't have a track record and I don't have a clue as to FA's customer service, but RCBS's customer service has been first rate for me.
    I don't disagree at all, I have been happy with all of my FA products but I have not had to use their customer service.

Boolit Master

Hi. I got the Lite on sale, I'm really happy with it. It really shines when working up Satterlee/ladders, because it's easy to calibrate, easy to set, and usually more than fast enough. If I'm loading a bunch of the same loads, I'll use a powder dispenser and my Ohaus or RCBS 505s to verify the charge, but if I'm building new loads, or just doing a short run, I'll use my Lite. Ed

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I bought the lite a few months ago. Its awesome! It’s the only charger I’m aware of that the barrel is fluted on the inside so it keeps from over charging. I would suggest to buy one. I replaced a a chargemaster powder pro scale that was 18 years old. Never had a trickle charger prior. I wish I would have bought one years ago. So much wasted time manually measuring with a powder dropper.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’m trying trailboss right now. Your right pretty slow but accurate.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfustyle View Post
    I have the Chargemaster lite and love it. It works very well and is accurate. I bought mine at Brownells, they have a lifetime warranty on everything they sell. They always have a sale or two going on.
    I ordered the lite yesterday from Brownells on sale with free shipping too. I've been thinking about getting one of the auto powder dispensers for a few years, but I was concerned about the electronics failing. Brownells warranty removed that worry.☺
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

I've heard that aside from needing an insert to avoid overcharges, the biggest difference is physical footprint.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast