Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making first batch of charcoal....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
    how come in the back of my mind I'm hearing " hold my drink and watch this"? this is something I would like to try but keep getting chickened out by imagined disasters. Waiting to see your outcome then maybe I'll get a set and try it.
    Handling blackpowder is handling black powder - a pound in a can is a pound in a can - no more dangerous pouring a pound of meal out of the mill drum than decanting from a pound can IN THE LOADING ROOM INTO YOUR POWDER MEASURE - proly LESS dangerous because I bet the homemaker is way more cautious around his powder that most shooters with boughten powder are. Bulk quantities make black powder more dangerous and stupidity seals the deal.

Boolit Master
    I've always made my black powder over a lot of layers of newpaper on the work bench and anything that gets spilled is rolled up and disposed of as I go along. I've found out that keeping the work area clean is really important. Just burned up my five dollar thrift store blender running a batch of willow charcoal. It got hot, let that magic smoke out, made a weird noise, smelt funny and stopped running. Ended up still having enough CC for my next batch so it's not all that bad.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie2002 View Post
    I've always made my black powder over a lot of layers of newpaper on the work bench and anything that gets spilled is rolled up and disposed of as I go along. I've found out that keeping the work area clean is really important. Just burned up my five dollar thrift store blender running a batch of willow charcoal. It got hot, let that magic smoke out, made a weird noise, smelt funny and stopped running. Ended up still having enough CC for my next batch so it's not all that bad.
    Eddie I got an old hand crank meat mincer I put my charcoal chunks through (it grinds up pretty fine) then I store it in sealed can, put the CC through the mill right before I use it.

Boolit Master
    I do the same as Indian Joe. Use a hand grinder with the fine cutter. It gets it pretty fine. The milling does the rest.

swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I use a Kitchen Aide spice grinder. Everything but the cup is stainless. Easy to clean up and control. A word of advise, DONT USE YOUR WIFE’s STUFF FOR ANY OF THIS HOBBY... that all I am gunna say about that.

Marko

PS.. Clean up after yourself. leave NO TRACE. More free advice.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    I'm on my fourth pound of stump remover which will give me about five pounds of screened home grown which is plenty for what I shoot right now. Just wanted to get a formula and procedure together that is repeatable and check it off my bucket list. All my other components are already ground up fine and the final milling will take care of the rest with this batch. Picked up about a pound chunk of pure sulfur over at a rendezvous last week which I'm saving for my next big batch. Need to replace the blender with another thrift store unit so if I get the bug I can run with it. Making it is almost as fun as shooting it

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    I use a Kitchen Aide spice grinder. Everything but the cup is stainless. Easy to clean up and control.

A word of advise, DONT USE YOUR WIFE’s STUFF FOR ANY OF THIS HOBBY... that all I am gunna say about that.

Marko

PS.. Clean up after yourself. leave NO TRACE. More free advice.
    Good advice !!! REALLY, REALLY, GOOD ADVICE!!!!

USMC 77, USRA 79

Lol... just trying to spare some poor man some of my pain.. lol
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    I love it. My wife looked at me funny when I made my own pine tar by cooking down heart pine lumps I found in the woods... Imagine her looks when I grind up home made charcoal in the food processor .

Boolit Bub

Making first batch of charcoal....

Apolgies for reviving an old post...

Psychicrhino clear your pm box. It’s full and can’t pm.

Thx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12