RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two year old Apple Juice

Boolit Grand Master

Tripplebeards, those crab apples will make a wonderful jam or jelly if you are willing to do the work.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    That wonderful liquid is called Hard Cider. If you have it in a barrel and let it freeze you will notice that the center of the barrel full might be slushy, but not frozen. Dip it out and guard it like it was gold. That's Apple Jack, and will knock your socks off!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the "70s, before I found out why my asthma was so bad, I made some wonderful "FRUIT PUNCH". Back then I just rode around the community collecting free fruit. As I remember, even persimmons made punch that could cause an unintentional double back flip.
    Note the right hand of my avatar.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master

Reading this thread reminded me of a hidden half gallon bottle of blackberry (indigestion med) that I hid from the kids. The bottle is a 1/2 gal green glass drink bottle from the first generation of family sized drinks.
    That stuff would make you stomp a mudhole in the desert.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Depending on the yeast it should be 5-15 percent alcohol thats better than most wine. The slush would be much higher.
    jim

In Remembrance

We had a small orchard on our farm which we got enough apples from to get cider pressed from. We usually got about 10 - 12 gallons of cider that we stored in glass gallon jugs that had screw tops on. By Christmas we had cider vinegar or hard cider to some folks. By the next year when new apples were being picked we dumped out what remained of the old cider into a hog trough. The pigs loved it! Anybody ever see drunk 300 lb. pigs that couldn`t stand up and were squealing as loud as a drunk bar fly to karoke.Robert

Mine tests out at 11%. Tom I will give this a try.
    When I was a teen in the early 50's our neighbor more or less raised me because things were tough for my Mom and the $20. wage he gave me helped her out. I did the chores before going to School feeding the cattle and helping with the milking and field work and haying when it was going on. When time came to fill the Silo he would put stone crocks with wood boards with holes drilled through and cover the crocks and several layers of cheese cloth over the boards. And they would be burrowed under that silage till I pitched it down to feed the cattle in the winter and when my fork hit the crock I would call him and we would pour the juice in gallon glass jugs. He would never give me any but I would sneak a taste but ended spitting it out
    Later I seen him cook it out.
    A couple weeks you would see the chickens and hogs drinking the seepage and none would walk a straight like.

Kurt

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When I lived in a dry village in AK, we would take all kinds of frozen fruit juices, add water, sugar and bread yeast. Then we had to wait. The hardest part. Two or three weeks later, we had beverage that would give you a buzz and often a headache in the morning.

I make my own wine and years ago I made some from can apple juice and it can out to be jack.I had let someone have some and told me that was the best jack he had in a long time. I just made some rice wine and made it different then I have in the past, I had let someone have some form the last time I made it and said it is like the one he had when he was in Japan and what did I do to it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    If you have it in a barrel and let it freeze you will notice that the center of the barrel full might be slushy, but not frozen. Dip it out and guard it like it was gold. That's Apple Jack, and will knock your socks off!
    You can jack any wine to concentrate the alcohol. Put it in the freezer, wait till it get slushy, pour it through a cloth, and toss out what's on top of the cloth. It about the proof of a decent mixed drink.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Just a reminder... ATF considers freezing to boost alcohol content to be distilling...

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    IIRC though, freeze distilling is legal, you just can't use heat to distill things to enhance the proof of something legally. In practice, if you don't sell the result, I am told that they won't prosecute you - BUT, it's your life and it'd be BAD to distill something and get caught & prosecuted and convicted, so it's not a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Just a reminder... ATF considers freezing to boost alcohol content to be distilling...
    Seems like everything I like is either illegal, immoral, or fattening.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    IIRC though, freeze distilling is legal, you just can't use heat to distill things to enhance the proof of something legally. In practice, if you don't sell the result, I am told that they won't prosecute you - BUT, it's your life and it'd be BAD to distill something and get caught & prosecuted and convicted, so it's not a good idea!
    Nope freeze distilling is illegal, had this discussion on a brewing site and pulled up the ATF rules on it.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Can’t make apple popsicles??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally I like wine the way it is. I never acquired the taste above what full bodied wine gets.

Boolit Master
    Careful, drinking too much of that stuff might have you calling buicks.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12