Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who uses XMP-5744??

SPG for anything under1600 fps and LBT soft blue for anything over that. SPG works great with any 5744 load
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Has anyone noticed that this thread began in Dec of 2005? Seems like a lifetime ago. My dad was alive and so was my mom, my grandsons had not yet been born, I was 60 lbs lighter and had hair. We had a pretty good president, the economy was booming, powder was cheap and plentiful, and some of our fellow shooters were still with us.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master
    I know what you're saying. It goes so fast. Just like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes.
    Thanks, I'll get some SPG. Hard to find any reloading stuff anymore.

Boolit Master
    Also Lyman has since published their 49th Manual out for awhile and also the 4th edition Cast Bullet Manual.
    But, there's nothing like this site for info!
    Thanks.

5744 worked in anything we tried it in using published loads. My only issue was the price. I was able to make unique work for me in 45-70 and the powder cost dropped to about 1/3. 2400 worked as well in 30-06 with cast lead at about 3/5 the cost. 2400/4198 works as well in 30-40 Krag again for less. I read somewhere that is burning rate is close 4198 but of course its less position sensitive.

Ed: My only experience is with the new version. I bought some because it was used in so many loads in the Lyman Man. I don't have a problem with its on target performance but it burns so filthy in my guns with my loads I think I might use it for the 4th of July fireworks or garden fertilizer .GP

I use it under an NOE316299 in a Finnish M91 with excellent results. I'm driving the slug at about 1950fps and the old warrior (1896) shoots better with the load than I can. The slugs are cast of WDWW and sized to 0.315 for MY bore. Somewhere I read an article on how to (VERY CAREFULLY) heat treat the forward part of the bullet to soften it for expansion with the rest submerged in water. If I can do that I'll have an effective hunting load.
    Thomas Paine:
    “To argue with a person who has denounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Explorer1 View Post
    I used many lbs of in in a 357 Max with 200 gr cast bullets; great for slamming rams at 200 meters!
    I also have a 357 max in a 12" T/C G2 and was thinking about using 5744. Can I ask how many grs you started with the 200gr?
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123