Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who uses XMP-5744??

Boolit Master

Thumbs up 5744

Great powder I love it-- reduced loads---- not case sensitive---I have worked up some good loads in 308 and 30-30--have punched clean holes in 3/8ths. steel plates at 50 yrds.---160 lead. good energy and I dont find it to be dirty --- . Try it ul like it ---Mag_01------groups seem to be good on the upper end.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range. txpete's Avatar
    in my 03 tried a load with the G.I. surplus 173 match(forgive my sin)
    29.0 grs 5744
    lc brass
    win primer
    and that ol 03 was holding a inch at 100 yards with my bifocal eyes.

just finshed up a batch of 160,185 lee's for the next time out after deer season.
    pete

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up

A very experienced cast shooter at our local range uses 14.5 grains of 5744 w/the 165 RCBS boolits in his 308s. I know, that's waaaay too light. Then I tried it in my 308 Springfield 03A3 match rifle which is set up for High Power type matches.

All I can say is that it was amazing. Recoil slightly more than a 22 rimfire and an inch or better at 100 yards if I did my part (whcih was hard because I was so surprised).

I tried it in an '03 30'06 w/some 170 Saecos he cast for me. Pretty good, but I felt I wanted a bit more velocity. (No idea what the speed was, just seemed to need more). Plan to try 15, 15.5 and 16 grains when I get a chance.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    I've been to busy banging on furnaces to check in lately but wow, from the sound of it I best be getting me some 5744.

Dirty don't bother me as long as it does what I want. It can't be any dirtier than 2400 I would think.

My new mould came in, a Lyman 457643 but too busy / cold to cast. By the time I get home the sun's behind the mountain and the garage with no heat turns fridgid fast.

Nobody stocks 5744 locally. Guess I'll have to order it.

I appreciate all the responses and especially the application to various calibers. I had 45/70 in mind but have 30/30. .308, /06, and 44's too, to try iy in. Thanks guys and keep em comin'!

IS XMP-5744 the same as AA-5744?

Boolit Master
    DAFzipper IS XMP-5744 the same as AA-5744?
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Bill Falin told me not to worry that it was such a good powder for them that they would find another manufacturer capable of making it, but right then tey had several other projects that had to be finished and marketed first. Sure enough along came XMP5744 in a couple of three years.
    Yes it is the same.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up 5744

Very versatile powder for cast loads. I use a lot of it in lower pressure loads for big straight wall cartridges.

It can be annoying because of the unburned kernels. Takes a little getting used to.
    I've gotten some of the lowest SDs and ESs over the chrono in the 45-70 cast loads in the 1150-1250 velocity range using fluffy dacron filler. Just shot a 5 shot group using 440gr cast and very light load of 5744 the other day at .95" @ 100yds with a tang sighted Sharps in 45-70. The SD for that group was 5 and the ES was 11.

One thing I've noticed at the higher pressure loads in bottleneck cartridge shooting is that the unburned kernel thing goes away. And in even the low pressure loads, 5744 is actually fairly clean. Always some unburned kernels but very low soot and carbon build up. As mentioned in a previous post there are some powders that are very sooty.... 5744 seems clean in that comparison.
    Last edited by 405; 12-12-2008 at 07:55 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I use it for cast loads in:

.308 Win
    9,3x62 Mauser
    9,3x74R (in a double rifle)
    .375 H&H
    .376 Steyr
    .376/.416 Steyr Improved
    .416 Rigby
    .458 AR (wildcat .375 RUM case shortened and opened up to .458 ... is cannon!)
    .470 Nitro Express (in a double rifle)

Would probably use it in .338 calibers too if I had bullet molds.

Works fine and the cost per round is relatively low.

Boolit Master

A fellow at the range stumbled across 3 jugs of it in some trading deal and was selling it. I found out about it when he was down to one jug. He was wondering why anyone would pay 60 bucks a jug for it.
    Dang if I coulda just got all three jugs.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

5744 and 44 Mag

There were loads for the 44 Mag using 5744 way back in the blue cover edition of the freebie handloading data manual from Accurate Arms when they were still here in McEwen.

I have one squirreled away some place, but where . . .
    Last edited by TCLouis; 12-13-2008 at 12:15 AM. Reason: spelling
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I used many lbs of in in a 357 Max with 200 gr cast bullets; great for slamming rams at 200 meters!
    There is NO subsitute for heavy, large diameter bullets or cubic inches!

Boolit Bub
    I use it to form 7-30 Waters cases. I use cast bullets to form my cases and 5744 . I get full pressure but keep the velocity down. It works fine for that. I haven't used it in much else.

Quote Originally Posted by straightshooter1 View Post
    A very experienced cast shooter at our local range uses 14.5 grains of 5744 w/the 165 RCBS boolits in his 308s. I know, that's waaaay too light. Then I tried it in my 308 Springfield 03A3 match rifle which is set up for High Power type matches.

All I can say is that it was amazing. Recoil slightly more than a 22 rimfire and an inch or better at 100 yards if I did my part (whcih was hard because I was so surprised).

I tried it in an '03 30'06 w/some 170 Saecos he cast for me. Pretty good, but I felt I wanted a bit more velocity. (No idea what the speed was, just seemed to need more). Plan to try 15, 15.5 and 16 grains when I get a chance.

Bob
    I also use it for local recuced course 200 yd Highpower and CMP matches but I use a bit more in the 30-06 ,18-19 grs with the Lee 155 boolit lays them all in the 10 ring time after time with a decent X count, Seems like it does indeed need more pressure as it leaves alot of half burnt kernels in the bore, I still prefer 14 grs of unique as accuracy is as good or better and burns cleaner.

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

I talked to Bill Falin too about 5744

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Bill Falin told me not to worry that it was such a good powder for them that they would find another manufacturer capable of making it, but right then tey had several other projects that had to be finished and marketed first. Sure enough along came XMP5744 in a couple of three years.

Now Western Powder may NOT have the same feelings about it so I would suggest a quick email (by one AND ONLY ONE person) asking about future plans. They were VERY responsive to a question posed to them recently.

SMALL companies are GREAT, one can still contact a higher level person without some salesOgeek with NO technichical knowledge responding.

Just an opinion and we know all about them . . . DON'T we?
    Years ago. At that time I was 'splorin for a cast load for 7.62 x 39.

Bill said try it, but he said the powder was more suited to MUCH heavier bullets, which is why it is listed in their CAS catalog.

He says it is comparable to a SLOOOOW pistol powder or a VERY FAST rifle powder.

I believe it is 24% nitro. I gave away most of my 5744, for in my application it had a very narrow loading window for performance and accuracy, plus or minus 1 grain for a 130 gr cast bullet.

Left a lotta unburnt powder in the bbl. and never really developed pressure.

I was using it in the wrong application.

yodar

Boolit Master
    I use it is 45-70, 45-90, 38-55, 30-30 and 56-50 Spencer. Works great in all of them. I use 29 gr with a 300 gr boolit in the 45-70. This has proved to be really accurate in about 7 different rifles I have tried it in. I use 18 gr with a 250 gr bullet in my 38-55 rifles for groups of under 1.5 inches at 100 yards with iron sights. Same for my 30-30 94 winchester 18 gr powder and a 170 gr LFPGC bullet. I use 20 gr with a 370 gr slug in my 56-50 Spencer and 25 gr and a 450 gr slug in my 50-70 trapdoor. I love the stuff and Just bought two kegs of it to keep me shooting.

Boolit Master
    I'm also having lots of unburned powder left in barrel. I called accurate awhile back and a tech said to never use a filler
    dacron or otherwise. It could ring your barrel or chamber Maybe a hotter load will work with a little crimp? I've been shooting an Italian Sharps and a buffalo classic with a 405 gr bullet and 26gr of 5744. I've gotten in the habit of holding the barrel up and giving it a little shake before shooting. Everyone laughs, but it burns cleaner and real good accuracy at 100 yds. Not something I'd like to do if hunting though.

Boolit Master
    The most accurate smokeless powder I have found for my original Remington short-range .40-50 B.N. However in the .40-70 2 1/2" & .40-70 2 1/4" B.N. not so much. Tried it once in the little Hornet...after 1 shot there was so much semi & unburned powder..I couldn't chamber another round!

it works nicely in 300 Whisper/Blackout AR's
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

5744 loves heavy bullets, strong crimps and in some cases, magnum primers. I'd change that 405 grain bullet out for a 520. That's what I use in my 45-90 with excellent results.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Master
    Thanks ombg.
    Have a Lee 500gr mold here. will try some out with that and a good crimp. That may delay the bullet long enough to get good ignition.
    What lube do you use?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast