RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Alliant Black is GREAT !

Banned

Alliant Black is GREAT !

Finally a BP substitute that works better than real BP. I've shot all the would be BP subsistutes as well as a lot of real BP. This stuff is wonderful. Took my 61 cal Baker rifle and 452 Whitworth to the range yesterday and fired 50+ round balls and boolits. You still need 4f in the pan for the Baker but that's all.
    70 gr in both guns of Alliant. Baker (iron sights) held round balls in 2" @ 50 and my custom 1.2 ounce maxiball cloverleafed three. (It killed my best Elk). The Whitworth (6X scope) was deadly. Last 3 @100 went into 7/8" on centers. The best part was no cleaning. Took a dry .410 and 59 caliber shotgun mop down each bore after five shots. It came out just gray. Final cleaning was with TC bore cleaner, 4 patches wet, 4 dry and the led drop down light would blind you. Final dose of Bore Butter till next time.
    Cleaning the lock areas was also 1/10 the work as real BP.
    Glad I bought 5 pounds when it got rave review in Handloader.

Boolit Buddy

If someone has used it in cartridge cases I'd like a report. Except for Pyrodex I've had real trouble with the other substitutes seriously corroding the brass cases. I'd appreciarte a PM on your report.

Banned
    I use it in my Browning 1890 High Wall (30" bbl) with nickle cases. (I bought 100 Federals years ago). Unlike smokeless it must be compressed or a high density filler added to compress the charge. I have yet to find a really sweet load with cast boolits, but I am thinking of trying the same technique that worked so well in the .452 MZ.
    Probably cut the charge a bit, then cornmeal, then the butterbore wad and a firm crimp to attempt to duplicate the rammed home boolit in the MZ.

As far as cases go, if you are shooting brass ones, take a bucket of hot soapy water to the range and drop the empties in there. When you get home toss them in a sock bag and run em in the washing machine with a few old towels. Shake them dry and hang the bag in the sun or dump em on a cookie tray in the oven @200 F for a few hours. After they cool, decap and dry again as water may hide in primer pocket. With the nickle ones, I skip the range bucket. Still using the first 40 out of the box of 100.
    If it works in a MZ, it will certainly work in a cartridge rifle.

Boolit Master
    Whats it cost?

Boolit Grand Master

That's good to know. For a Sub I really like Blackhorn 209 but that will not work in flinters or C&B revolvers.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/product...r/blackmz.aspx

Powder Valley lists it for $19.60 a pound