RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who uses XMP-5744??

Boolit Buddy

Who uses XMP-5744??

Lyman's 48th shows XMP-5744 all over the place, mostly for cast and with lots of accuracy loads. This must be a good consistent powder...

Any of you guys use it? How do you like it? Thought about picking some up but wanted some feedback from users first.

Boolit Master

Well it is not surpluss , but a great powder .
    I us it in loads from the 44 mag rifle , 45/70 ,762 x 39 , 308 , 8 x 57 , 30-06 , 303 and 762x 54 to name a few .

I bought 32 lb a few years back and just started the last 8 lb jug .

I guess I like it .

Johnch
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

I believe when it first arrived on the market, it was advertised as a good powder for reduced loads such as cast bullet loads. I have an 8-pound keg that is nearing the end of its contents. I have used it in the 7-30 Waters, 30-30, 445 SM, 44 Magnum, and the 270. It is the best accuracy I have found in the 270 with the Lyman 280642 and the sized down 287346. I think you will find a use for it. Good-luck...BCB

I've also used several pounds of it and was very pleased with its performance in .30cal. (including metric .30's), 8 x 57mm and .45-70 cartridges, but not in the .357Mag. Variations in velocity (extreme spreads & standard deviations) are consistently low with 5744 in the aforementioned cartridges, plus it flows through powder measures quite readily. I wish there was a milsurp clone of it for I'd buy it in an instant!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Maven
    I've also used several pounds of it and was very pleased with its performance in .30cal. (including metric .30's), 8 x 57mm and .45-70 cartridges, but not in the .357Mag. Variations in velocity (extreme spreads & standard deviations) are consistently low with 5744 in the aforementioned cartridges, plus it flows through powder measures quite readily. I wish there was a milsurp clone of it for I'd buy it in an instant!

Maven,

What type of loads do you use in the 45-70? I've heard good stuff about 5744 used in this caliber. Boolit weights, charge weights etc. I've used 4064 for much of my loads over the years and wonder if I'm missing out on a better choice of powder.
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sharps, I use 27gr. of 5744 with CB's of 345gr. (Lee 340gr. & 405gr. HB) - 465gr. (LBT) in my Marlin #336 (22" microgroove bbl.) and can slightly better than 2 m.o.a. accuracy on a good day. 13gr. of Unique also works well (one big hole @ 50 yds.) and am going to try WC 820 in the near future. I'm thinking 15 - 18 gr. (Well, maybe 17gr.) should suffice for target work. Btw, I use a thin paper disk cut from a subscription card (7/16" punch) atop the powder, even 5744, to keep it next to the primer. Said disks also enable you to tell at a glance which cases have powder in them. Although you didn't ask, the rifle is equally accurate with BP (70gr. by weight of FFFg) or Pyro. P (70gr. by volume).

5744 is my "go-to" powder in the 45-90. It's very accurate and it fills the case just enough that fillers aren't required. I use 28.5 to 30 grains in the 45-90 with Fed 215 primers and an LBT 520 grain LFN slug lubed with LBT blue.

Boolit Master

This is Accurate's load data for 5744 and using CCI 200 primers .
    Cowboy action loads

300 gr plain base bullet , 27.9 gr for 1405 fps - 31.0 gr for 1597 fps at 18,500 CUP

405 gr plain base bullet , 24.7 gr for 1192 fps - 27.5 gr for 1355 fps at 18,800 CUP

500 gr plain base bullet , 22.5 gr for 1063 fps - 25.0 gr for 1209 fps at 18,700 CUP

Other Accurate loads , these are listed as max
    Lm 340 gr HP 30.0 gr for 1495 fps
    Lm 378 gr GC 28.5 gr for 1418 fps
    Lm 475 gr GC 27.0 gr for 1253 fps
    Lm 530 gr RN 28.5 gr for 1280 fps

I see they are holding these loads at around 18,800 CUP or less to be safe in Trap Door rifles .

Johnch
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

30 grains gives me 1375-1412 fps in my Pedersoli Sharps. If I up it to 32 grains I get very flat primers and 1500 fps. My guess is that load must be generating 35,000 or so. The Pedersoli is rated for 28, 000 so I try not to exceed 30 grains. besides, that crescent butt plate digs deep into my shoulder after 20 or so of those brutes.

Super Moderator

............I remember years ago that some of the silhuette guys at the range were using it (in what I don't know). This was when it was a surplus powder Accurate was selling. One of the guys asked me if I wanted what he had left over. He said he was disgusted with it as it was really dirty.

I bought a pound of it much later after Accurate had the Czechs making it for them. It produced some pretty good results for me in a few cartridges I tried it in. I'm rather fixated on 4198 though

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    I just knew that powder had to be good stuff with all the data for it in the manual. I seen it listed for 308, 30/06, 30/30, and 45/70 too IIRC. Great, I have all those calibers and just love crossover powder to save space..

Maven, you did mean for your 1895 when you said this,

"I use 27gr. of 5744 with CB's of 345gr. (Lee 340gr. & 405gr. HB) - 465gr. (LBT) in my Marlin #336 (22" microgroove bbl.)..."

didn't you?

I noticed a couple of you guys listed it as used with 44 mag also. I couldn't find any data for it under rifle or pistol though. Whats a starting load for it there? (I use Lymans 180gWC, 245Keith, 300GCKeith, and the Lee 255gSWCGC).

This is a great board! I love the atmosphere here. You guys are supercool.

I noticed a couple of you guys listed it as used with 44 mag also. I couldn't find any data for it under rifle or pistol though. Whats a starting load for it there? (I use Lymans 180gWC, 245Keith, 300GCKeith, and the Lee 255gSWCGC).

It is very close in burning rate to IMR 4759 and IMR 4227; Use their starting loads and work up.

Boolit Master
    Scrounger, I just looked on Accurate's web site and found data you are looking for. You have to have Adobe Reader installed to view the load data, but it's there. sundog

http://www.accuratepowder.com/

Boolit Grand Master

For me, the stuff shoots well in every thing I have tried it in with cast. Probably will always shoot more 2400, Unique, Red Dot, and 4759 than anything else. However----If I came up with a real deal on a quantity of anything that shoots well under cast, would not turn it down.
    1Shirt

Boolit Master
    Its the only powder that gave me an ES of 1 in 3 shots.
    I don't use it because I'm "frugal" read Cheap bas****. If powder isn't $10.00 a pound, I don't buy it any more.

Great stuff.
    David

Edward429451, My Marlin is a #336 (ca. 1992) and is identical in appearance to my #336 in 30-30Win. (The magazines are different lengths of course.) Btw, the factory trigger pull on the .45-70 is quite good, not so on the .30-30.

Boolit Buddy
    They made 336's as 45/70's? Never knew that.

My 1895G had a real crunchy trigger when I first got it but I sprung for one of those 'Happy Trigger Kits' from WWG in AK.(89.), and like it a lot. It's like a whole different gun. It went in real easy too. Still the sizing/accuracy/load issues to work out for it but now I just have to think about pulling it and it goes.

Lotsa good new data for me on that site, thanks.

Boolit Master

Back when 5744 disappeared the first time

Bill Falin told me not to worry that it was such a good powder for them that they would find another manufacturer capable of making it, but right then tey had several other projects that had to be finished and marketed first. Sure enough along came XMP5744 in a couple of three years.

Now Western Powder may NOT have the same feelings about it so I would suggest a quick email (by one AND ONLY ONE person) asking about future plans. They were VERY responsive to a question posed to them recently.

SMALL companies are GREAT, one can still contact a higher level person without some salesOgeek with NO technichical knowledge responding.

Just an opinion and we know all about them . . . DON'T we?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range. txpete's Avatar
    its all I burn in my 45/70,great powder.
    pete

I've went through close to 11-12 lbs of it since it came out, mostly in 45-70 but some in 38-55, 45 Colt and 44 Special. In 45-70, started with the load on the bottle of 28 gr and 405 bullet and found it left lots of unburned particles both in the gun, both action and barrel, and out in front where it was blown. Tended to clog up the sear engagement surfaces of the Browning Single Shots I was using it in, and the hammer wouldn't stay cocked when closing the action; plus was a pretty stout load when shooting a lot. Filled the action of my Browning '86 with particles. Dropped the charge to anywhere from 22.5 to 24 grs and all these problems ended and the accuracy increased significantly. Never could get a load for the 38-55 that would outshoot either 4227 or 3031 so quit using it in that caliber. Tried it in both 45 Colt and 44 Special pistol loads, but also couldn't get it to outshoot other loads I was using, so quit using it in pistol loads also. Wouldn't be without it for the 45-70 though.
    McLintock

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast