Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: surplus pistol powder

surplus pistol powder

With all the crazy shortage with pistol powder i ran into some surplus powder the other day at my local gun and reloading store.
    The surplus powder ran very well through my 45 acp and my 9mm but i have no idea what this stuff is. ( smoked like Unique)
    Here is a pic >>>>>>Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0489.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	109246

Just wondering if anyone has seen powder sold like this before ?

Boolit Buddy

I have seen some of that running around by me. Seemed it was pulled down shotgun powder. Price seems a little high but you do what you can.

I agree the price does seem high but i have seen no pistol powder come into this area in a while.

There was a "Russian Unique" surplus powder going around for a while. Could be that someone decided to make some profit on some 50# barrels of the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    There was a "Russian Unique" surplus powder going around for a while. Could be that someone decided to make some profit on some 50# barrels of the stuff.
    I think you might be right !! ( I remember the guy said it was like Unique) Not to say that's what it is But !!

Boolit Grand Master

Any load data? Canister powder equivalent?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I saved and enlarged the picture. there appeared to be load data on the label. The price on the label was 21.99. If that was correct, that is not bad compared to what I've seen around here. I have to use red dot, herco or 700X, since pistol powder is so scarce.

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Any load data? Canister powder equivalent?
    Like mikeym1a said there is load data on the label . ( I have no numbers or anything telling what this powder is)

Boolit Mold
    I bought some of that stuff at the Richmond Virginia gun show on Saturday. The guy said that they had loaded all the ammo on the table that was for sale with that particular powder. I bought an 8 lb. jug. After thinking about it, I went back and bought another 5 one pound containers.

Sunday, I loaded up about 10 rounds individually, of 45 ACP, 38 special, 40 S&W. and took them out to run them through my chronograph.

The granular appearance of the powder was that of a large flake, looking like small paper wads of a shotgun shell. From what I can tell from reviewing the load data on the label, the burn rate is about the same as VihtaVouri N340. That is as close as I could come.

This powder would NOT meter through my Harrell’s powder measure. With no change on the dial, the powder charge could be from 2 to 6 grains. I was almost in a panic. I remembered that the guy said that all the bullets for sale on the table were loaded with this powder. So I loaded the powder in my Dillon S1050 and to my surprise, the powder metered perfectly from the Dillon.

I am worried about the 45 acp. Here is the load data.

38 special. 158g Label recommends 4.9g producing velocity of 950fps
    My load: 158g @ 4.6g 796 to 897 fps.

40 S&W 165g Label recommends 5.8 producing velocity of 1050fps
    My load: 165g @ 5.5 producing 898 to 940 fps

45 acp 230g Label recommends 5.8 producing velocity of 850 fps
    My load; 230g @ 5.5g producing 1188 to 1199 fps

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron of Va View Post
    I bought some of that stuff at the Richmond Virginia gun show on Saturday. The guy said that they had loaded all the ammo on the table that was for sale with that particular powder. I bought an 8 lb. jug. After thinking about it, I went back and bought another 5 one pound containers.

Sunday, I loaded up about 10 rounds individually, of 45 ACP, 38 special, 40 S&W. and took them out to run them through my chronograph.

The granular appearance of the powder was that of a large flake, looking like small paper wads of a shotgun shell. From what I can tell from reviewing the load data on the label, the burn rate is about the same as VihtaVouri N340. That is as close as I could come.

This powder would NOT meter through my Harrell’s powder measure. With no change on the dial, the powder charge could be from 2 to 6 grains. I was almost in a panic. I remembered that the guy said that all the bullets for sale on the table were loaded with this powder. So I loaded the powder in my Dillon S1050 and to my surprise, the powder metered perfectly from the Dillon.

I am worried about the 45 acp. Here is the load data.

38 special. 158g Label recommends 4.9g producing velocity of 950fps
    My load: 158g @ 4.6g 796 to 897 fps.

40 S&W 165g Label recommends 5.8 producing velocity of 1050fps
    My load: 165g @ 5.5 producing 898 to 940 fps

45 acp 230g Label recommends 5.8 producing velocity of 850 fps
    My load; 230g @ 5.5g producing 1188 to 1199 fps
    Wow........if your chronograph is correct that is high pressure!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Are you sure of that 45acp reading? That would give me serious pause
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Mold
    I trust the results of the chronograph on the 45. What I don’t trust is exactly how much powder I had in the case. It is possible that somehow I had mischarged the cases. I strongly suspect it was human error on my part.

I admit I was a bit frustrated by the fact the powder would not meter, and I had to drop and trickle each charge. (And the fact that I might have just bought $250 worth of powder, that I could not use in my progressive machine) If it would not meter in a Harrell’s, then why would it meter in a Dillon? But it does. Motivated by the powder drought, I sure bought a **** load of it.

So I will repeat the testing sometime this week. The 38 and 40 velocities were within the range expected from the load data on the label. The 45 was not.

Boolit Bub
    The Russian Unique (brand name is Salut) is green/gray in color, pretty different from most US powders. And it meters pretty well in a Dillon too.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by medalguy View Post
    The Russian Unique (brand name is Salut) is green/gray in color, pretty different from most US powders. And it meters pretty well in a Dillon too.
    Thanks for the information. So it is probably Russian Unique, AKA “Salut”

I never checked the burn rate of Unique, the closest I got was VihtaVuori N340.

Here is a photo of the granular structure of the Surplus Powder, and a photo of the label. What do you guys think?
    The big jug has less load data than the small 1 lb bottle.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SurplusPowder.jpg  
    Last edited by Ron of Va; 07-09-2014 at 10:59 AM.

I just checked the load data on my one pound bottles. The Data is the same except below the 185 gr 45 acp, i have data for the 200 and 230 gr in 45 acp. The pic of the surplus powder does look like the powder i have. The place i got the powder from is local in my area and they go to and sell At gun shows in several other states. ( I bet we both purchased from the same folks ) If so ! they are great to deal with . I buy most all my powder from them.

Boolit Mold
    Sounds like we bought from the same guys. North Georgia Arms.

I think some call them that . North Georgia Reloading

Oh !" By the way Ron of Va" Welcome to the forum .
    Last edited by yancey; 07-09-2014 at 05:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I just loaded some 45 ACP; Mihec 202 gr HP, sized .452, CR Lube, 6.2 gr SPP ( my 4# container also has 45 200and 230 gr loads). No chrony available, but no pressure signs, good accuracy, lots of smoke, may be a little less dirty than unique, bore looked good, recoil in the H&K tactical and Ruger P90 was minimal. Seems bulky; no way to double charge the 45 with my load. The fellow I got my stash from was very reticent to discuss any loads, or any comparable powders, or where it was from or what it had been used for. He recommended a 15 % reduction from the label. I don't see the need for that so far; also had good results in a 44 Special.

oh, forgat to say, meters very well through a Star, suspect it will be fine in the Dillon.
    Last edited by denul; 07-09-2014 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Upate on metering

Boolit Buddy
    I was able to use the chronograph this morning.
    I just had time to fire 7 rounds in the 45 ACP with the above 200 gr. Mihec.
    High, 967, low 930, , average 942, standard deviation 13
    I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by denul View Post
    I was able to use the chronograph this morning.
    I just had time to fire 7 rounds in the 45 ACP with the above 200 gr. Mihec.
    High, 967, low 930, , average 942, standard deviation 13
    I hope this helps.
    Hey , Thanks for the info on the 200 gr Mihec >>>>>>>>>>>>That is my favorite i like to shoot out of my 1911.
    The ones we tested were the 230 gr extreems out of one of my buds pistol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast