WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .30/30 with 34" barrel. Am I out to lunch?

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    After you lube and size your boolits tumble lube them in JPW and let them dry for a few days. If the boolits fit to start with then with the JPW you shouldn't get any leading.
    Tom, how do you go about doing the tumble lube with JPW. I'd like to try that on a few of my cast loads too.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Well you bested me on this: I already put in a feeler 1 year ago to E. Arthur Brown for one of his Custom single shot drop actions with a 29" barrel in 30/30 for cast bullets as my retirement rifle! I do not think he can go 34"
    If I had to pick the best cast bullet target cartridge it would be the 30 WCF
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Since Green Mountain and a couple others offer barrels of 35", I'd think any custom gun maker can build a gun if they don't mind getting the barrel from a supplier who carries them. My current build is a Rolling Block with a 34" GM .40 caliber barrel that is #3.5 weight. It will be used for bench rest, or mid to long range shooting.

I've got four other old single shot rifles with 34" barrels. Some came from the factory this way, while others are guns I've built. Have two Ballard rifles in .45-70 and .44-100 with 34" barrels. A #1 Rolling Block 34" in .44-77SBN. And a Hepburn Match B with 34" in .32-40. And the other #1 Roller in .40-50SS with 34" that is finishing up now, that will be number five.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Well you bested me on this: I already put in a feeler 1 year ago to E. Arthur Brown for one of his Custom single shot drop actions with a 29" barrel in 30/30 for cast bullets as my retirement rifle! I do not think he can go 34"
    If I had to pick the best cast bullet target cartridge it would be the 30 WCF
    I had one of his 97D rifles in his proprietary 30-30 improved. It was the worst and most expensive gun mistake of my life. The barrel is fixed to the receiver by epoxy which means no one will work on them and the extractor/ejector is very fragile.

Boolit Master
    Are you sayin E Arthur Brown fixes his barrels into the receiver with Epoxy????
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master
    The barrels are threaded,not just glued............but ,the threads are locked with a 'sealant'.....which is not spec ified...........but if epoxy ,then removal is problematic...............this is by no means unique.....Howa bolt guns have barrels epoxied in the tenon threads..........and are they hard to remove?............not if you have a hydraulic fixture that can apply the 3000 odd ft /lbs needed to unscrew the barrel................I think saying no one will work on them is a bit extreme............after all,how many cast bullets does it take to wear out a 4140 barrel?.........They are a price point well below most other ss .............and falling block extractors are traditionally weak.......dont jam cases .
    Last edited by john.k; 01-21-2019 at 11:05 PM.

Boolit Master
    I’m not saying that there would be anything wrong it’s a 30-30 as a target rifle.

But, I don’t see it in the winners circle in the USA cast bullet comps, either breachseated or fixed.

Think it would hold it’s own thou no doubt about it against most things

I’m not sure but it may have to be stoked up pretty high to get to 500yds with a decent b.c. Bullet.

Or go through the zone when the bullet is not tipped.
    1500 fps with a good design maybe?
    Last edited by barrabruce; 01-21-2019 at 11:29 PM.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slug View Post
    I"m thinking of ordering my dream rifle.
    I like the looks of a skinny long barrelled single shot, and the .30/30 is an excellent C/B cartridge.
    So, I'm thinking of an 1875 Sharps, with the long barrel.

Are there any logical reasons why I shouldn't go this long?

Comments, complaints and criticisms welcomed.

TIA
    I think that with a barrel longer than 28 inches you'll see dimensioning returns on velocity with the 30-30. You might also think about what profile you want the barrel in. Even with a 28 inch 45-70 barrel the 75 comes in at over 10 lbs. Even at 28 inches the rifle won't be much longer than a 24 inch barreled lever gun, so if you can deal with the weight it won't bother anything when carrying it for hunting.
    CSA is set up to profile barrels now, so you could get a round blank from McGowen and have CSA profile it during the build.
    Don't forget to have them put the single set trigger in , and it might not be a bad idea to have it drilled and tapped for scope blocks during the build.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Tom, how do you go about doing the tumble lube with JPW. I'd like to try that on a few of my cast loads too.

I have an old plastic glass that I got from Olive Garden some years ago. I'll put a gas check on, size and lube the boolit, a put a handful or so into the cup. Put a small glob of the JPW , put the lid on and just gently roll them around for a bit. The heat from your hands (or the ambient temperature in the room) will melt the wax. It doesn't take long. Then I'll pick them up with needle-nose pliers and set them nose up on some wax paper or parchment paper and let them dry.....

So far it works on both of my 30 cal. rifles, the 30/30/A.I. and the 30-06 A.I., and the fire forming loads too!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned

aside from concerns over consistent accuracy with the .30-30 cartridge, barrel length and balance is a big consideration for any offhand shooting. i had a .45-70 with a 34" barrel that was a bear for offhand and was much better when it became 30".

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger #1 in 30-30 with a straight barrel no taper on it. keplinger trigger. Have to watch how I position it on the benchrest and rear bags, Way too muzzle heavy And its for sure no lightweight either. Frank

Boolit Master

I have a Uberti 1885 Highwall that has a 30" barrel and 30-30, it's a delight to shoot off a bench but freehand is somewhat troublesome because of weight. However, dead on accurate with tang sights.

Boolit Buddy
    OK, lads:
    I bit the bullet and ordered it this morning.
    34 inch, half round, light contour, 12 inch twist.
    Six to eight month wait. Also another six to eight weeks to cross the northern frontier and then get to me.
    Hopefully, before the next winter.
    Thanks for the comments and encouragemant.
    Jacketed bullets, what a relic. A throwback to the twentieth century. Real men shoot cast.

A lifetime of happiness in five simple steps:
    Kiss French, ride German, shoot Swiss, eat Italian, drink Scotch.

Going to be the longest 8 months of your life! I hate that waiting when I'm excited about a gun build, and know it's going to take a long time to fruition!

Boolit Master
    Slug,
    Where did you get it?

Why not three feet?I'd love to hear it go off!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Why not three feet?I'd love to hear it go off!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    36" becomes an issue with suppliers. Not many make blanks long enough to end up with a 36" barrel when finished. Several make 35" blanks so a 34" finished length is doable.

Boolit Buddy
    From C Sharps Arms in Big Timber, Montana.
    They're the only ones who make an 1875 repro.
    I have one in .30/30 already, but it has a stubby 26 inch barrel.
    Also, one in .38/56 with a 30 incher which is getting closer.
    I need a 34 inch, well, just because....
    I may have a firearrm fire sale in a few weeks.
    Jacketed bullets, what a relic. A throwback to the twentieth century. Real men shoot cast.

A lifetime of happiness in five simple steps:
    Kiss French, ride German, shoot Swiss, eat Italian, drink Scotch.

Boolit Master

I have a 30" Uberti 1885 Highwall replica 30-30 that is a joy to shoot; color me envious.

Boolit Master

More than a few years back I worked for a smith that was making single shot 50 BMGs. He was getting some of his barrels from Orion barrel company. He got an order in for a 3" diameter barrel that was 60" long and Jerry did it. The finished rifle weighed 165 ( if I remember right) pounds and shooting off the bench was like shooting a 22LR. but with much more knock down power.
    Last edited by John Taylor; 02-06-2019 at 12:35 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast