MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aguila Colibri

Boolit Master

Aguila Colibri

Finally got around to shooting some of these today in the shop. I shot them into a pine 4X4. The were still visible on the surface of the wood after firing. Shot pretty tight from across the shop. They were quieter than a cap gun. I was shooting the wife's Bearcat. If the weren't 6 bucks a box of 50 I'd buy a brick of them.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    I bought a case years ago. Can't remember how much they were but I sure liked them. Good for knocking raccoons off my deck.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

They were great for playing around in the quiet they make a sub sniper one that will cycle semi auto actions to lots of fun to bad there hard to find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Colibri's are fun, back when they were cheaper I use to shoot them in the basement instead of an air rifle. I had a bag of sidewalk salt for a pellet trap and they would only go in about 3/4" and with a lot less noise than my beeman R7 pellet rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Love colibris in the guns that done like CB's. When I shoot the CB or colibiris out of my Remington Mod 41 TargetMaster, they are eerily silent. The pin hitting the rim is louder than the actual report. Love to use them in the back yard. I prefer the Colibri as I don't have to brush out the chamber as often and there is no buildup

Colibris are meant for handguns; Super Colibris for rifles. I use the Colibris in rifles but am vigilant to make sure the bullet exits the barrel. Be careful shooting wood; I used an oak block once and the bullet rebounded back and hit me in the shin! I always try to keep some Colibris around!

Boolit Grand Master

I use to use them for testing in the shop when they were 1.59 a box, now I can't afford them and use CCI CB caps.

Boolit Master
    They are great for backyard safaris.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Banned
    they are kind of screwy when you get down to it. They do have the tendency to work best in a break action pistol... but short rifles like say a 10/22 carbine are fine.

Just don't expect to much from them. They don't always get out of the barrel, and other times youll get one with to much power. It can be rather embarrassing when you get a "energetic" round that goes through a squirrel at 20 feet but the rest wont GET to the squirrel

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Colibris are meant for handguns; Super Colibris for rifles. I use the Colibris in rifles but am vigilant to make sure the bullet exits the barrel. Be careful shooting wood; I used an oak block once and the bullet rebounded back and hit me in the shin! I always try to keep some Colibris around!
    I agree... be careful to make sure they exit the barrel. I use the Colibris in my Norinco JW15 to cull squirrels. Tried them in my Winchester single shot 22 and found they don’t exit the barrel.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Sportsman's Guide sold them around 12 years or more ago at $5.00 a brick. I bought a case.

I found they exit and work great in handguns but are very iffy on rifles. They are quite and fun but be sure to check your bore in rifles.

For rifles I like CCI 22long CB caps. [I like the longer case than the shorts so no ring of crud gets left]

Boolit Master
    The Aguila SSS are good rounds from my bolt action rifles, especially after I have cut maybe 2-4 gr off the nose with my DIY flat-nose maker. Surprisingly good groups at 50 yards. I have a box left, somewhere. Probably in the bag with my "exotic" ammo. I've been hesitant to try the Colibri Super through my 77-22 and 455, even if they have "shorter" barrels. I do like CCI Quiet HPs.

I have a old savage 24 that is sighted was sighted for Colbri to use on pest around the house. I never had any trouble with them being stuck in barrel or erratic powder charges. But that was a good while ago maybe their QC
    has went down hill like every one else's. I switched to CCI CBs and a little louder but more useful.

[QUOTE=AndyB1;4554427]
    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorS View Post
    They were great for playing around in the quiet they make a sub sniper one that will cycle semi auto actions to lots of fun to bad there hard to find

Winchester 22 LR subs cycle my CZ512 fine. With the GEMTECH can, it's "Pffft"

Attachment 234356
    The subject is Colibris. They won't cycle any auto.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The colibri and super colibri's won't cycle a semi but the sss super sub Sonics will but they sound like a regular.22

Learned to hate 'em. Yes, they work and are super quiet, but they leave a ring of HARD fouling in the chamber which is a PITA to remove. And you do have to remove it before going back to normal ammo, especially in single shots with tight competition chambers.

Bought a brick over ten years ago, and there's half of it left. Switched to CCI Quiet.
    Cognitive Dissident

I have an old Mossberg single shot that is used for dispatching trapped critters. The barrel hadn't been cleaned for some time and the first shot with Colibri got stuck in the barrel. Problem solved after cleaning the barrel but when fired into a 2x4 at only inches from the muzzle, the bullet had just barely penetrated the wood. I later learned the Colibri was for pistols and the fact that the old Mossberg had 24" barrel Colibri was not for me.

CCI CB Long or Short is the go to ammo for me.

Curious about the "sticking in barrels" thing. What I have was bought a long while ago, circa 2000 - 2001 I think. I fired 100+ rounds of it through an 18" barrel Hopkins & Allen 922 which I had relined. Never had one fail to exit. In fact they exited with enough MV that I once killed a skunk at 20 yards. Wonder if it's been "detuned" in more recent years. Tempted to pull out a box and try it again.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31891DD9-5F8A-423B-9F0A-3EAA77A95A32.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	234617

From the Bearcat
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Super Moderator

I use the Super Colibri's on Skunks. I shoot them in the head with my Single Six, and luckily I haven't had to take a second shot on one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast