Load DataWidenersRepackboxPBcastco
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Has any body tried PP .270 j-words to 7mm

Has any body tried PP .270 j-words to 7mm

The title says it. Wondering if anyone has tried to PP 270 cal j-words for use in the 7x57? If so how did it work out?

Lots of people have patched up jacketed bullets to shoot in a larger bore rifle when they couldn't get bullets of that size. If you try roughen the jackets of the 270 bullets between two files by rolling them back and forth between the files. It gives the paper something to hold on to. Without that roughening the bullet tends to squirt out of the paper jacket and accuracy is nill. Brodie

Boolit Master
    Yes.
    Exactly as old coot said.
    Roughen up the bearing surface so the patch will stick to it.

Wow! That's something I've never heard of before.

Wii give it a try.

Boolit Master
    I have done a 308 to 314 for a 303 Brit, shot a couple of decent groups just to see if it would work. As Old Coot says roughen up the jacket. I also used a light wax or lube and let the patch just go over the ogive. Also expand the neck and bell the case mouth as you would do for cast.

Never tried J-bullets but the RCBS 270 boolit patched works a treat in my 7mm TC-U Contender.

Boolit Buddy
    I am planning to use a Lee .277-135 RF paper patched for my 7X57 Mauser Winchester Model 70. I need my patched bullet to be .279. I tried to size down Lee 285-130 RF cast in 30/1 lead/tin and even after easily sizing as cast down to .285, the next step down to .279 was too much. The new mold comes in tomorrow....to be continued...
    NRA Lifetime member since 1956, NRA Endowment Member. Reloading since 1954. CBA Member Navy Vietnam Veteran USS Intrepid CVA 11

Quote Originally Posted by rockydoc View Post
    I am planning to use a Lee .277-135 RF paper patched for my 7X57 Mauser Winchester Model 70. I need my patched bullet to be .279. I tried to size down Lee 285-130 RF cast in 30/1 lead/tin and even after easily sizing as cast down to .285, the next step down to .279 was too much. The new mold comes in tomorrow....to be continued...
    Looking forward to seeing your results

Boolit Master
    I have that Lee 277 135. Its been dropping .280 for me so you should be fine.

Boolit Mold
    Used .303 British pulls (174 grain target slugs and 175 grain soft points) paper patched to .324" out of the 8x57 Mauser. They shot well, expanded well, and contrbuted to the jerky supply quite satisfactorily. I think the cannelure was a help in this business.
    Last edited by Optimist; 06-10-2019 at 03:49 PM. Reason: left part out....

Boolit Man
    If its worth anything I used to paper patch .284 cast spire point bullets in my 30-30 loads for lever gun fun.
    They really worked great. loaded them single shot but had consistent accuracy out to 250 yards and hit clay pigeons and then their left over pieces.
    KW
    Lifetime Reloader
    Veteran
    NRA- Benefactor

Boolit Grand Master

I haven't patched "J" bullets for larger bores but have patched a few .301" boolits for .308 and .303 British. I found that with the smooth sided boolits the thicker patched did not work well for .303 British... for me anyway. I wound up Knurling the "slicks" up about 0.003" then patching for the .303 British and that turned out not badly. Was it the extra 0.003" diameter, the knurling holding the patch better or a bit of both?

Having said that, Ross Seyfried wrote an article several years ago about doing just what you are looking for and that is patching up readily available bullets for odd caliber guns where "J" bullets are not readily available. Not that .270 and 7mm aren't readily available but the difference in diameter is about what Ross Seyfried was addressing.

As stated above, he found that roughening up the jackets between files helped keep paper patching on the bullets and his results were very good. IIRC he used up to 3 wraps of paper where necessary with good results (contrary to my attempts). I suspect the roughed up jackets were the key there. Several knowledgeable folks here have said that boolits with lube grooves are better to patch than smooth boolits ("slicks"). For BP cartridge and soft lead slicks seem to work well but for smokeless loading we don't tend to get the obturation the BP/soft lead guys do. I'd rough up the jackets if I were to try it.

I have an electronic copy of the Ross Seyfried article. If you are interested PM me with your e-mail and I will send a copy.

Longbow

For a long time I have been wanting to shoot 125gr bullets in one of my 303's but with the throat size I have been hesitant. I have thought of patching .310 bullets to fit the throat, a trick that worked well with very short cast boolits at subsonic.

For my oversize throat 22 hornet I seat the bullets in a paper hand towel cup in unsized necks (soaked in molten waxy lube to 'glue' the bullets in place). The theory is that the arrangement delivers the bullet straight into the bore. This works very well. The waxy lube also lubes the bore, keeping it copper fouling free.

So, following the comments on patching j-words, I am motivated to buy some of those light weights and patch them up and see what happens. The idea is to drive them very fast (for a 303). With the right powder, 3000 fps can be achieved.

I have seated jacketed 303 bullets in unsized neck using the paper cup trick and those shot very well. Of significance is the fact that there is about zero neck tension.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''