Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: opinions please

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, I've been watching this. 45-70 is the caliber I want. I have a Henry in .45 Colt and it's my favorite shooter. I cast my own and want a 45-70 real bad. Looks as though it's Henry or Marlin, still not sure yet.
    You will hear the term of a light 45-70 when you put a heavy bullet on your 45 colt. Often, 45-70 cast bullet shooters settle on a sweet shooting 300-350 grain bullet of which is attainable with modern 45 colt rifle shooting Ruger loads. Just my .02.

I hunted mainly with the .45/70 for close to 40 years in Montana, and it never let me down.
    smkummer, I like the half and 2/3 magazine Marlins, too. And a 200 grain .35 bullet gets the job done.

I used a rusty Glenfield 30/30 as a "project gun" and rebored/rechambered it to .356 Winchester.
    Grey Cerakote and a "deluxe" Walnut stock from Marlin completed the project.
    I normally don't feel the need for scopes on a lever but this was my "long range" lever, so it had an illuminated 2-7x Mueller. The first load I tried in it (200 grain Hornady FTX @ 2375 fps) shot pretty darn well, 3/4" groups at 100 yards.

Boolit Master
    For awhile I was interested in a 45-70 until I shot one. {A guide model.} To much muzzle jump and recoil for my liking. (cartridges shot were store bought)
    After that recent experience I don't think I'll find better lever's than those I already have. 32 specials & 2-Savage 99 300s.
    Although there are many who have interest in owning a 45-70 usually after they already own a preferenced deer rifle in a different caliber. I have yet to figure out why that is?_>why not the reverse in buying?
    My only suggestion:

Buy one having a longer length barrel surely will enhance your targeting ability. Guide model on the other hand with its short barrel? may or may not inhibit those same shooting skills.

I hunted first with a .45/70. I never had any use for a .30/30 or the like.
    I hunted where there were moose, elk and big bears. Bison too were around, although I never drew a tag for one.
    The .45/70 is a bit overkill for deer, I suspect many want one because of it's rich history, it's being known as a classic round, and it is BIG.
    They do have recoil with any but the mildest loads, especially out of a lightweight lever carbine.

Since moving to Arizona a few months ago, I am shooting my pistol round levers more, .45 Colt and .44/40.
    Much more pleasant, although loaded stout enough they too get your attention when fired out of a 5 to 6 pound carbine.

Sandog
    You may have never heard of a Miroku going back but its pure speculation to say one has not ever been returned. Even BMWs go back for repair.
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Well, it's probably safe to say that a Miroku having to be sent back is far, far, far more rare than a Marlin or a Henry going back to the factory for an issue.
    I never said a Miroku has NEVER been returned. I said I've never heard of it.

Boolit Master
    I currently have three Miroku made guns and I've had several more that I traded off or sold. I've never had one single problem with any of them. Their fit, finish, and overall workmanship is truly outstanding. Typical Japanese quality.....a lot like their cars. I've got to agree with sandog on this one. I only wish they made a larger variety of guns. FWIW, I also own a variety of other manufacturers guns and most have been pretty good. The ones I've sent back the most have been Rugers. I've sent back several handguns, one shotgun, and a couple of rifles. They did fix them to my satisfaction, but it's a pain in the you know what to have to go through all that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1024.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	234632

Heres a shot of a new Henry CCH in 357 Sandog. Im thinking the CCH on this gun is outstanding. The other side looks just as good. Its a carbine model. I cant for some reason get the other side to load.
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

That's a nice looking rifle, BigAl.
    An unusual tiger stripe case color job, but very vivid colors, and nice wood.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123