Load DataRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about 9mm 1911's

Boolit Master

Tell me about 9mm 1911's

Got one? Like it? Which one? How does it shoot cast? Do you wish it was a 45? I've never owned a 1911, but think I would like the weight and trigger for target work vs a poly wonder. Leaning towards a 9mm for low recoil and free brass, but I have 45 dies and mold as well.

Boolit Master

Well i have 7 1911's. 22lr .380 45 acp and 10mm. They all shoot cast great. And accuracy is awesome. And there not high end guns i have. Brands i have RIA.ATI Colt and chiappa.

I own a Springfield Armory Range Officer(stainless) in 9mm and it is superbly accurate with both jacketed and cast. It prefers boolits that load with a somewhat longer OAL. Really short RF nose designs sometimes do not feed well.
    I use Lyman 356402, Lee 356-120-TC( regular lube groove), and NOE 358-135-RF in mine with no issues. The chamber on this one is tight and boolits need to be sized .357 or they will have issues chambering.
    I lube with either tumble lube or White Label 50-50(using my lubrisizer) and have no issues of any kind either accuracy or leading.
    Group sizes are equal to what you get from jacketed with these.
    I have yet to have a malfunction of any kind with this pistol when using factory new ammunition. If I make a cartridge that isn't quite right, it may choke on it. Usually that is because I used ammunition made for my Beretta which has a much larger chamber and barrel.
    I used to own a Taurus 1911 in 9mm and accuracy and function were less than ideal. Failures to eject were common and the accuracy was mediocre at best. I won't recommend that one.
    I also have some 1911 pistols in 45ACP from Springfield and SIG. Both of them are also very good.

Boolit Master

My Ruger 1911 9mm is hands down the best shooting pistol I own I would buy it again in a heart beat
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I have just always liked the 1911 45acp , but last year my wife decided she wanted a 1911 in 9mm , and who am I to argue with the boss . She tried out several handguns a friend brought over for her to try , and decided on a Springfield 1911 A1 in 9mm . She thought we should go out dressed the same so I picked a Springfield A1 in 45 acp to match . Truth be told I enjoy shooting her 9 more , now I really can't say why but I just have more fun with her 9mm even when both are sitting on the bench at the same time . It could be I don't mind losing the 9mm brass .
    Strangely enough she likes my old 4 inch Colt combat commander in 45acp just as much . All my shooting is done with light loads so it has nothing to do with recoil . The 9 is a lot of fun just pick one that feels good in your hand and try to wear it out . I like adjustable sights .

Boolit Master
    Well, I have a rock island 9mm 1911 commander. My wife carries it. It shoots cast just fine. I also have a Coonan classic .357 magnum, it happens to love cast boolits. Surprisingly, the Coonan isnt unpleasant at all to shoot. Amazingly accurate as well. As a side note, I've been wanting to save up for a llama .32 acp mini-1911.

Boolit Bub
    I had a worked over Springfield, was super fun

Boolit Master

I too have a Springfield loaded 1911-A1. With a little tuning on the internals and a new set of frag grips with a magwell, I am happy. I have hit my 7" gong at 110 yards. At 50 yards it is fairly easy. The heft of the 1911 and with a standard 9mm load the gun becomes a pleasure to shoot.

Boolit Master

7 1911s, 1 of which I built in 9mm. If purchasing one, I'd highly recommend a ramped barrel and springfield 9mm mags to prevent nose dives. Ejection and extraction can sometime be problematic with tolerance stacking but can be overcome if problems persist with and oversized ejector and after market extractors. Although recoil is reduced, I prefer a full size (5") standard slide (no lightening cuts to reduce mass) and adjust slide speedmfor reliable cycling with recoil springs.

If I was looking for a reputable manufacturer for a 9mm 1911 who stands behind their product I'd look at SA. They brought alot of inovation to the 9mm in this platform and will make it right if it doesn't run.

Banned

best shooting 1911 I ever owned was a 9mm sti trojan. It outshot even the two les baers I had at the time and my gold cup match colt. best out of the box trigger on any handgun ive ever bought to boot. Was probably the stupidest gun thing I ever did the day I traded it.

I have only fired a full size 1911 in 9mm once or twice and remember it being a sweet ( low recoil) shooter. I absolutely love my new to me star 9mm BM which I believe is so appropriate sized for 9mm. It feeds the Lee TL356-125RN just fine and shoots wonderfully to the sights. $189 shipped from center fire systems right now.

Colt Competition Model 9mm

Stainless Colt 9mm Competition Model

Attachment 234371

I've had a Springfield Range Officer in 9mm since they came out. Fantastic, accurate, reliable. I have 1911s in .45acp as well, but the 9mm is just plain fun to shoot.

Groo here
    I got a "couple".
    Got them for cheep ammo,but they make nice carry guns.[I carry +P+]
    Really like the EMP 4 as they feed very well. [feel, sound smooth]

Boolit Master
    8 here as well ....like them all.

They're a no for me. I don't hate them. There's nothing wrong with them I guess. Something about my brain just does not like it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrHarmless View Post
    They're a no for me. I don't hate them. There's nothing wrong with them I guess. Something about my brain just does not like it.
    That's too bad. You are missing a lot of fun.

I have a Ruger Officer Model in 9mm (my 1st.9mm). Excellent sights & trigger out of the box. I like their integral (not staked) plunger tube and titanium firing pin which allows original design trigger parts. An unexpected bonus is the factory throated chamber. Never a failure to operate with the 2 boxes of factory rounds. Some teething problems with reloads, but forum members helped me overcome them. After arriving @ the correct OAL & learning not to use S&B brass, it runs without issues with 3 different cast boolet designs.

I also have a Ruger 1911 in .45 ACP (full size) & would hate to part with either.

Lately I find myself shooting the 9mm more: a strange confession for a guy that spent most of my adult life bad-mouthing the 9.

Henry

Banned

I used to think the same but after a season of shooting ppc with mine and kicking but I came back the next year to see about every top shooter in our league using 9mm 1911s. Now if you talking self defense a 1911 in 9 doesn't make sense even to me. If im going to carry a big heavy 1911 its going to be in 45. But something like the Kimber or springfield mini 1911s in 9 might just cover that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrHarmless View Post

Boolit Master

Got several 1911s in both .45ACP (Springfield M1A1, STI Spartan V, Sig TacOps) & 9mm (Para Pro-Custom, STI Spartan 9 with .38Super barrel by Eddie Jimenea).
    The 9s are mainly for ESP IDPA matches including the STI V for CDP class.
    The Sig is mainly for self defense (with flashlight) & the Springfield for plinking.
    The 45s eat PC'd CBs from 155gr to 230gr while the 9s from 120s to 160s.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast