Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: CH4D point forming dies parts for .308 &/or .321

Boolit Buddy

CH4D point forming dies parts for .308 &/or .321

Ladies & Gents,
    I am fortunate to have found several CH & Herters swaging dies. I'm good in 45 & 35 for now. However I'm still trying to expand into a couple new directions. There are dies in the sets that would make great core seat dies for .308 & 318. I just need the 3/4 point form die bodies from CH with nose punches to complete existing projects. I've connected with CH, they seem to have little interest in supplying for their swaging dies. Corbin is beautiful hardware but out of my cash flow limits. BTSniper was kind enough to reply & may be a viable option if I can't source less expensive parts.
    Anyone have a other source of die parts? I currently don't really need the .318 die & nose punch other than for a core seater for the .321 caliber. I would like to find a supplier that could produce a point forming die(s) to begin in .308 +/- .000 - .001 as some of my older rifles could like the slightly smaller diameter. Once I find a quality product at cost effective price there is need for .321 & .223 point forming dies too. In fact I believe a body made to fit the old Herters sizer die sleeves could be a lot less expensive to machine. These take simple straight inserts, with a shoulder a the bottom, bored for the sizing needs internally, with 3/8-1/2" threads at the top to lock in place.
    Of course if someone has a CH die body with the nose punch I am interested. But I see a genuine need for a supply. We need replacement parts all the time, at affordable cost. The last set of CH (101??) dies I found clearanced priced out at $40. Just try to get a set now for less than 300.
    Any help here is welcome...
    Carl

Vendor Sponsor

First thing to determine is if you are looking for CH 101 series swage dies or the 105 series swage die.

Brian
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Vendor Sponsor

The 105 series was a smooth bored die of same diameter all the way threw (just like a core seat die of more common swage dies), the internal punch had a concave shape to to match a bullet tip while the base punch was typically flat, I suppose it could be the other way around actually with the base punch having the bullet profile, either way they where ment to make half or three quarter jacketed bullets where the jacket does not extend up to the ogive (curve) of bullet tip.

The 101 series die was more common and popular from what I saw. The nose profile is machined into the point form swage die allowing for JHP bullets.

It sounds to me you are looking for the 105 series dies, I haven't seen any in all my days from ch but have worked with a lot of the 101s.

It was long time ago, before new owners took over, that ch offered any swage dies smaller then 9mm.

I don't know of any one making or offering swage dies like the old ch 105 series.

Brian

P.s. I think I got the 101 vs 105 differences correct.
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks BT for the input, your notes are always informative & helpful. My compliments.
    You are correct the 101 is a "3/4" style die, the 105 is a straight wall. I currently have sets in 101 in 357 & 451. Complimented by Herters in 224, 318, 357, & 308,; they make great core seaters & wadcutter product. The 357, 224 dies even have a step to swage a jacket smaller locking a core in place. But the CH 101 die body in 308 is my main goal currently. In a FP design it will serve for many of my reloading needs, both handgun & rifle. I really appreciated your response to my earlier email & am still considering our potential working together. Just need to improve some cash flow.
    Thanks again, Carl
    A info request: With your suggestions in the email what kind of ogive is available for the point form die? I realize it will be limited due to the .187 meplat you mentioned. Also would there be options for the shape of the meplat, ie RN, pointed, Truncated cone, HP?