Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersPBcastco
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: 218 Bee with a fast twist

218 Bee with a fast twist

Hi, here I go again with another odd question, does anyone have a fast twist 218 bee (1:7.7) and if so do you shot heavies (70-77gr) and if so with good results?

Thanks

Andy

Boolit Master

I'd think that with a small case like the Bee and really heavy bullets you would get rainbow trajectory. A 1-12 twist might serve you better if heavy 55-65 gr. bullets are your goal.
    The 218 Bee likes 45-50gr bullets.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

I reckon, you are right about the the rainbow trajectory, 55gr are probably the max to achieve a flat shooting bee. At this stage I am just shooting the breeze, but I read years back about someone shooting a bee with heavies, but can't remember the details.

As I said for the moment this is a hypothetical, the bee would top out at 2200fps, if zeroed at 200 yards it would be -16" at 300 that's a big rainbow!

If you are looking for flat shooting it pretty much a swift affair, even that will lose 7", even the Weatherby rocket will lose 6" between 200-300 yards!
    Last edited by andym79; 01-21-2019 at 06:31 AM.

Boolit Mold
    I have a new 1 in 10 in a 218 Mashburn Bee on a Ruger #1 The reason I stuck to the mbee round is there is a sbh in the works also .
    I have not gotten passed ff yet. Using Hornady brass has worked well so far All ff has been with 55 grn fmj Have a nice day DON K

Boolit Grand Master

A fast twist .218 bee might be fun with cast bullets in to 60-65 grn range. With these cast bullets powder capacity might be close to optimum for the desired velocities. With jacketed and the higher velocities it will be "wanting" but with cast bullets it may be a good little close range varmint thumper and plinker. Think about a 65 grn flat point at around 1800 fps for small to medium varmints and garden pests. It could probably be loaded with standard powders and reduced or maybe even starting loads with no need for orientation or fillers, or any other specialized work other than a appropriate expander.