Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To GC or not to GC that is the Question

Boolit Bub
    Bass
    You are right that in my case, I am in an aquire mode. There just isn't anything in my old head that isn't already known most of the board.
    However, I started the cast bullet routine as a boy without the money to buy j-bullets. I picked a mold without the benefit of advice, because it looked like what I thought a bullet should. Most of these were gc designs and shot without gc. Started with handguns,32's, 38's and then 44's. Later rifle calibers were added. I found with a new caliber I would start shooting without gc and if the groups weren't good then a gc was added. I wonder oft times if that big ring of bullet lube where the gc was supposed to go would serve as a gc till velocity got to high. Shooting to find out is my approach. The lube I use is made from T/C bore butter and bee's wax, half and half.
    NRA life

Boolit Bub
    So if I am shooting a 500 s/w 700 grain bullet going about 1200-1250fps do I need a GC? The velocity is low but the pressure is high.
    When they come for your guns, give 'em the ammo first.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Pressure might not be so high because the bore size is so large. However, peak pressure could be quite high if using a very quick powder. How much lead splatter in the forcing cone area? If too much, then a gas check would be nice. ... felix
    felix

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12