Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Lead remover

Boolit Master
    I've found that a Bhn 11 to 14, .431 sized gas checked boolit of 220 to 250g and a stiff charge of H-110, 296, or WC820, will remove any tuff leading in about 6 rounds. I use this method for revolvers, and have yet to try it in my rifles.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

yup,I shoot the lead out also Shuz.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Banned

I agree with one of the recommendations of M-TECs
    https://sharpshootr.com/no-lead/
    Best I have run across.

Boolit Master
    I'd bet that many don't realize this topic has been discussed here at CB.GL Forum approx. 650 times.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Best...w=1093&bih=501

Search engines work.

Anyway, I have read quite a few of them & "chore boy" with some Ed's Red gets my vote for the easiest solution for me.

I have both here at the house & for the little bit of leading I have had build up in the past, they took it right out. I even take a portable cleaning kit with me when going to shoot & there is a bit of chore boy in the kit for when I am working up a load & may get some leading.

Inexpensive & easy... That works fine for me.

G'Luck! in your choice among all of the suggestions...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I'd bet that many don't realize this topic has been discussed here at CB.GL Forum approx. 650 times.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Best...w=1093&bih=501

Search engines work.

Anyway, I have read quite a few of them & "chore boy" with some Ed's Red gets my vote for the easiest solution for me.

I have both here at the house & for the little bit of leading I have had build up in the past, they took it right out. I even take a portable cleaning kit with me when going to shoot & there is a bit of chore boy in the kit for when I am working up a load & may get some leading.

Inexpensive & easy... That works fine for me.

G'Luck! in your choice among all of the suggestions...
    Yes indeed
    But, then that would exclude all the most recent space-age advances

Boolit Master
    When I heard about the Kroil I was skeptical, but I tried it. The gun in question was a brandnew S&W 617. The barrel was pretty heavily leaded about halfway. The lead seems to peel right out with the first patch after soaking with Kroil.
    I was shocked
    Last edited by Lefty SRH; 01-19-2019 at 07:52 PM.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master

PB blaster works too. Learned that trick from a friend.

Yep,guess you know Chor Boy works good by now.We all like it.In the solvents,I found Montana Extreme Cowboy Blend to do a fine job also but for the heavy work,no doubt,it's Chor Boy.

Boolit Master
    Just make sure the Chore Boy is not steel..... Take a small magnet to check it.

Kroil works wonders.....

I have three cans of the Outer's Foul Out foam. I'll squirt the barrel full and let it set for maybe 30 minutes if I can stand it that long, then get a nylon brush several passes through the bore from chamber to muzzle. Then I'll wipe a few dry patches through and lastly I'll send some Kroil on a patch. Or two. Or three or four. You'd be surprised how much more junk will come out of the "clean" barrel.
    Last edited by Tom W.; 01-20-2019 at 12:33 AM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned

"chore boy" is all copper - and not cheap, as a result.

Boolit Master
    I can't argue that, just that I've heard that some is copper plated steel now.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Hoppes #9, wet patch, let it soak. Then a copper bore brush wrapped in copper chore boy. You can get the worst of the worst leading out this way.
    I have had the best luck with this method. Wrapping chore boy in the bronze brush.

Boolit Buddy

Copper Sources

Quote Originally Posted by repeat View Post
    Just bought a Marlin 1894 Cowboy and its got lead in the bore close to the throat but enough that I want it gone.
    I have not shot it yet but they must have at the factory.
    I have used everything I have,Butches Bore Shine,Hoppe's,Shooters Choice,M-Pro 7 and wore out a good new bore brush and still some is left.
    What are you guys using?
    Thanks
    https://search.domyown.com/search?w=copper%20mesh

20 ft. roll cost is $15.50 with free shipping. Works great been using for several yrs. now. afish4570

Check my old posts in 2011 and 2018. Chore Boys are getting hard to find made of PURE COPPER seems alot of copper plated steel out there. Careful and test with magnet. The $15.50 source will give you years of lead removing . 4" wide X 20'. Follow the recommended cleaning procedures by wrapping a piece around a well used cleaning brush or a brass jag. I found running it dry is quickest and then follow with oil, solvent Eds Red etc. afish4570

Boolit Man
    Thanks for all the help guys.
    I still have not shot this 44 mag rifle yet and the fouling is from the factory shooting it.
    I have spent the last 2 hours cleaning with steel wool and Kroil,it came out.
    If its a tight spot or a rough spot in the bore I expect it will smooth out with shooting but I also have heard they use lead bullets for testing and may not be sized to fit the barrel like I will use.
    Sharpshooters No Lead is a product someone listed and a local gunsmith recommended it also but I hope it won't be a future problem as I will shoot cast bullets .002 over bore size so they should not cause much leading.
    Thanks again

Boolit Man
    Just a quick note,Chore Boy is super hard to find here.I searched all supermarkets and next I will hit the hardware stores but I remember it well and will find some.
    I will also use the suggestion to shoot it out with 240 gr (12-14 hardness)with gas checks sized to .433 as my bore slugs at .431

Bronze Wool is also good to use. You can use that in place of the Chore Boy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    I can't argue that, just that I've heard that some is copper plated steel now.
    absolutely correct = the cheap chore boy imitators.

Boolit Master

I have NEVER had leading in any of my barrels handgun or rifle.
    If you make the bullet big enough to fill the bore, you won't
    have leading, unless your loading very hot rounds. I size all my
    bullets so if they fit in the chamber I shoot them no matter how
    bore over size they are. Mostly all my loads are gas checked
    except in the 9mm, and most of the smaller handgun calibers
    I use all water quenched wheel weights.
    Denny
    Last edited by leadhead; 01-20-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Boolit Buddy

You may find this handy. I use the tall skinny olive jars filled with Ed’s red or kroil to soak my semi barrels while cleaning the rest of the firearm. It doesn’t help with revolvers.

I’ve also started using brass (smoking) pipe screens on the tip of a pointed jag, usually with a patch or 2 depending on fit. You can get them at smoke shops in small packs or on amazon in large quantities. 3/4 and7/8 are common. Check with a magnet just to be sure, but I haven’t found any brass coated steel yet. I would avoid the stainless steel version.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelgunConvert View Post
    You may find this handy. I use the tall skinny olive jars filled with Ed’s red or kroil to soak my semi barrels while cleaning the rest of the firearm. It doesn’t help with revolvers.

I’ve also started using brass (smoking) pipe screens on the tip of a pointed jag, usually with a patch or 2 depending on fit. You can get them at smoke shops in small packs or on amazon in large quantities. 3/4 and7/8 are common. Check with a magnet just to be sure, but I haven’t found any brass coated steel yet. I would avoid the stainless steel version.
    I forgot about those pipe screens, but your mention of them brought it back. I have some out in the garage I have used just for that purpose, after seeing the Lewis Lead Remover a while back, & I use those brass pipe screens on occasion myself, but my only problem with them is not yet finding a pointy jag to hold them ( I have not looked for one a lot though, as I forget about them since I do not use them often enough) & so I keep dropping them. I find small items hard to pick up and not just those little screens...
    They do work though.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast