Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: What is this?

Boolit Buddy

What is this?

I picked up this 20 gauge double barrel with the idea of a wall hanger. Maybe I'll practice my carving skills on the stock. I'm just wondering what it really is. Is it a modern reproduction kit gun which was the makers first kit? Is it a cheap Indian type gun? Or is it a poor man's gun from way back? Or somebody's attempt at building from scratch? All metal is a polished type silver. The barrels are deep browned. The barrels are not held in by wedges but by a screw at the front of the stock and a screw through the front of the trigger guard. No time was spent finishing the metal parts other than with file and sandpaper. Surprisingly, it has well done checkering. It also has a silver patch box. The bores are in quite decent condition other than not highly polished which fits in with the rest of the gun. It has very thick barrels. There are no markings anywhere on the gun other than the number on the inside of the locks and I found a number stamped into the stock when I removed the buttplate. Opinions!

The number stamping on the lock makes me think that it's modern in origin. Most likely a kit someone put together. Are there no other markings at all?

Boolit Buddy
    Nope, no other markings at all on the locks or other parts (except for a number in the end of the buttstock). No serial number.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Kit built; not very old....my take on it
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    The cap box in the butt stock is a clue - very common on singles and doubles that were sold through magazines back in the 1960's - heck, I can even picture the ad in my mind but don't remember the company that sold them. Turner Kirkland also offered some IIRC though Dixie - IIRC - they were made in Spain.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    The cap box in the butt stock is a clue - very common on singles and doubles that were sold through magazines back in the 1960's - heck, I can even picture the ad in my mind but don't remember the company that sold them. Turner Kirkland also offered some IIRC though Dixie - IIRC - they were made in Spain.
    This is actually ringing a bell. As I mentioned, whoever made it didn't spend a lot of time on the finishing of the parts. Guess they wanted to "get a huntin" I'm surprised at how thick the barrels are.

Boolit Master

Looks like one of the CVA kits

Boolit Buddy
    I had a good look at the lock internals. Very crudely done, the crudest I've ever seen.

Boolit Master
    My guess is it was sold by Century Arms, as I remember drooling over their ads back in the early 70's. I think the double was $59 and a single barrel was $19.95 or $24.95 and I wanted one BAD! If anyone has a 1971 GUNS magazine I'm pretty sure you will find one of the ads

It's not a CVA, I have a 12 gauge CVA double, they don't have a patch box, and they use a single wedge to attach the barrel to the stock.

Boolit Buddy
    It's not a Navy Arms either. The Navy has a walnut stock, engraved locks, chrome lined barrels.

Boolit Master
    in the 60's-70's sears sold muzzle loading shotguns through their catalog. they were Indian made.