WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roll crimp 12 ga.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    I have an antique roll crimper like that. It works very well.
    I have at least one big clay target box full of old shotgun reloading tools, mostly roll crimpers in various gauges. It seemed that at least one of them "followed me home" from each one of our local gun shows since they are still relatively inexpensive and make great antique display items to go along with my other shooting related collectibles. (I have a collection of about 70 + glass target balls from the late 1800's that were used for shotgun target shooting before there were clay targets.) It's surprising how much variety there is in the old crimping tools, both in design and colours. I've used many of them to roll crimp shotgun shells, mostly BP loads to shoot in old short chamber Damascus guns. I have one old 12 gauge roll crimper that that broke apart where the cast frame clamps to the bench and I plan to tear it apart and adapt a spindle to the crimp head so that I can use it in my drill press.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    I have a collection of about 70 + glass target balls from the late 1800's that were used for shotgun target shooting before there were clay targets.
    All I can say is big WOW!

Boolit Master
    Chronoed some 12's and 20's today.

Lyman 525 roll crimped in a Bornaghi factory trap round:

I remove the original crimp and 1 oz shot. Re-fill with slug. Get a nice and easy 1200 fps practise slug that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    All I can say is big WOW!
    Yeah ... what can I say? A few years back my wife and I were performers in a friend's recreated Wild West Show and we were shooting aerial targets (balloons) with lever action rifles and single action Colt handguns. I started researching the original Wild West Shows and found out that they used the shotgun glass target balls for aerial targets long after the shotgun crowd had switched over to clay targets. They could be carried in a bag across the saddle of a horse and tossed into the air by an assistant while the main performer shot them from another horse riding along-side of the assistant. Well, of course I had to have "one or two" original glass target balls for myself just because they were so interesting ... and one or two turned into a dozen, then two dozen, and then an entire collection of about 60 to 70 variations of target balls, some glass, some pitch or charcoal, and even some of the early glass target ball replacements such as re-useable metal propellers that were launched into the air, shot, and then picked back up and re-used. You know how these things go ... you just can't help yourself once you get started! LOL ... (And the clay box full of vintage reloading tools cost me about 1% of what I have invested in my glass target ball collection!)

Last edited by Reverend Al; 01-25-2019 at 10:51 PM.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Very nice!
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master
    Great pics!

I have an octagon barreled Colt Lightning 22 short pump rifle from that era. You can call me Annie.

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Great pics!

I have an octagon barreled Colt Lightning 22 short pump rifle from that era. You can call me Annie.
    OK ...

By the way, Annie Oakley was very seriously injured in a train wreck which left her in very poor health for the rest of her life, but she never stopped shooting or promoting the shooting sports as a recreation for women to enjoy. She shot Trap shotgun all of the rest of her life long after she had stopped performing in the Wild West Shows.

Rev: it's the Lays Potato Chip Syndrome. You can't eat just one. We all pretty much have it,,, I know I do!

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12