RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roll crimp 12 ga.

Boolit Master

Roll crimp 12 ga.

I just received my roll crimper. In the Lyman shot shell manual it only list fold crimp loads for buchshot. Can that be used for roll crimp with 10% reduced loads?

Made up a dummy round. AA HS hull- AA12 wad- 9 pellets .310 rb. How does this look. Seems the tool is easy to use. Short learning curve. It is the Russian roll crimper.
    First loaded rounds. I think I like this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0642[1].jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	234221Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0643[1].jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	234248

Thanks in advance for any info.
    swamp
    Last edited by swamp; 01-18-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master

I haven't loaded 12G slugs in a coons age... But was watching a vid where you do it on the drill press... I always said IF I loaded the m again, I would get that!

With a card you should be able to use same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFAk6YALuQQ

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I am loading buckshot, but I think that if the weight is the same the load data should be good.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master

There are many tests indicating that the same weight of buckshot will produce same or a little less pressure than birdshot. However, don't assume you can increase weight. If there's room for your buckshot in a birdshot load, go for it. (summarized and plagiarized from Reloading for Shotgunners, 4th edition.
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master

those actually look pretty dang nice.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Is that he AA hull on the left? If so did you trim it or roll it with the old star crimp in place? Very nice Swamp!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    The AA is the lone shell. It is trimmed. The trimming left a little bit of the fold crimp. The others are new primed Rio hulls. Thanks for the compliments. The test will be to see how they shoot.
    swamp

Swamp: Those do look nice.

I would like to know how many turns of the handle and how much time to do each one?

Always looking for ways to do portable reloading and my current interest is in Shotshells, primarily with slugs and buckshot which mostly need to be roll crimped.

You can load a shot shell with hand tools but roll crimping is generally done with a hand drill or drill press. The manual type tool has been around for a long time, but few of us appear to be using one.

Can you elaborate on your process a little more?

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I have that Russian roll crimper. It works very well. Using it horizontally is a little unhandy but a vertical mount can be easily built. Gp

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0644[1].jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	234268

It is a Russian, but I got it off of Amazon. Wasn't counting turns or time. It wasn't very long. With the new hulls went pretty fast.
    Dropped the charge with an old Pacific DL-105 because I had a bushing that thru the charge I wanted. Seated wad. Dropped in 9 .310 rb, overshot card and crimped.

Was too involved in getting them right, looking good and learning how roll crimping worked I wasn't in any hurry. I guess about 2 minutes per shell. Depending on how many times I dropped the round balls. That is annoying. I use the 310 rb because 3 to a layer fit perfect in the AA wads.

Next time I will do it all by hand. Find a dipper for the charge, seat wad with dowel, and crimp with tool.

So far I enjoy it and find it relaxing. Now I have to cast up a bunch more of the 310 rb.

Hope this helps. I decided to try this from reading this thread.

swamp

I roll crimp fired AAHS 12ga & 410 hulls without trimming the fold crimp. The AAHS hulls are the only fold crimp hulls i found that i can roll crimp without trimming. I use the bpi roll crimpers and a drill press.

BB

Boolit Master
    I have an antique roll crimper like that. It works very well.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master
    Here's my 20 from Ebay. Works fine.

Attachment 234370

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Here's my 20 from Ebay. Works fine.

Attachment 234370
    That looks like the same tool. Forrest Camping is the name of the outfit. I also got the crimper and shell holder for 20 ga.

So far I am real happy with it. Loaded some Lee slugs last night and looked real nice.

swamp

Boolit Master

Swamp - your results are great! Better than mine with the BPI tool so far.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    When I bought the crimp tool , I also got the adapter to use the crimper in a drill press. I don't think I will be using it. Using the tool bench mounted works well and I get a better feel of it crimping.

Almost got the BPI tool but went with this one. Saved a little money and it works well.

swamp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    When I bought the crimp tool , I also got the adapter to use the crimper in a drill press. I don't think I will be using it. Using the tool bench mounted works well and I get a better feel of it crimping.

Almost got the BPI tool but went with this one. Saved a little money and it works well.

swamp
    Your results speak for themselves. Well done Sir.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    When I loaded the first of the roll crimped slugs( Lee 1 oz.) I found that the hulls were just a bit too short. The crimper was marking the slug. Made the hulls longer and now it looks like factory.

Also made hull trimming jigs out of the 3/4 pvc. Work better and faster than the trimmer. I put a layer of masking tape on the inside and it holds the hull very nice with no extra play.

Learning something every day. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0645[1].jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	234526

swamp

Boolit Man
    take some pictures of your homemade PVC hull trimmer and some how-to notes

Boolit Master
    It is just a piece of 3/4 ID pvc. I have made 3 so far. I cut it to a little longer than length I need to trim the case to and square the ends to final length. A layer of masking tape on the inside holds the hull snug. A utility knife works well to trim the excess. The three were done to get the length right and the ends square. In the end used my barrel facing tool to square them up. Faster than a square and a file. Wish I had room for a mini lathe.

If you think a pic will help I will post. I think the pvc idea was posted earlier on the thread.
    Here are a couple of pics, Don't know if they will help or not. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0647[1].jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	234558Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0646[1].jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	234559
    swamp
    Last edited by swamp; 01-23-2019 at 06:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast