Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reloading problems yesterday

Boolit Buddy

reloading problems yesterday

I was sizing some 222 Remington yesterday, and discovered a couple of things that in 50 years of reloading that I have never seen before. The first problem was I lost a priming pin in a case. Odd thing to have happen! Bent the stem of the old RCBS decapper pin a bit. Upon shining a light into the Rem. case I could see not only the end of the primer punch but something else besides. Looked in the primer pocket { this was a deprimed case} and I could see a bit of what looked like a primer inside of the case. Used a punch through the hole and knocked out a spent primer! So I tried to get the decapping pin out of the case, no go. Wouldn't come out, even with a hemostat gripping the end of pin and still wouldn't come out. So I sacrificed the case and hacksawed the back of the case in two pieces. The primer punch was bent into a spiral, after hitting the primer and deflecting the punch to the side of the case it hit the inside of the wall and ran around the inside of the web! A bit later I had another case that wouldn't deprine. Upon looking inside of the case I could see something but couldn't tell what it was. Cut the case into two pieces and discovered a what looked like a 50 grain bullet nose down inside of the case. The primer punch had gone through the rear of the bullet and displaced the bullet jamming the bullet into the inside of the case, and it wasn't going to move. This time it didn't break the priming punch. These were cases I had purchased from another member, they must have been stored in a bag or something, and the primer and bullet managed to work there way into the cases. After a lifetime of reloading I thought I had seen it all, but that really wasn't true. The toolman.

Boolit Master
    You go through the rest of the cases peering inside to see what other treasures await you?

I cant figure out how that even happened.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Makes me want to look at some of my 22-250 cases that I have purchased as "once fired" brass. I can see how these small caliber cases could easily hide "surprises" inside.

just a thought...maybe a quick "shake" would identify any foreign objects.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Have had the same problem with RCBS dies. Not a fan of headless decapping pins. I always check the expander ball tightness on RCBS dies and put blue lock tight on the threads on t4eh expander ball. Very tight flash holes can be a problem. .223 brass from Guatemala was the culprit on one occasion.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Ha strange things...

I once got a 25ACP case stuck to a pilot/depriming pin... managed to size a few cases with it stuck on there too!!

Just last night, re forming 6.5/06 cases I managed to fold and fold back a shoulder PERFECTLY only reducing the length of the neck...

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Moderator Emeritus

I was with a friend that "lost" a depriming pin while reloading. I found it when I shot his contender and opened it. The pin was in the 7tcu case after I had fired it. Why it stayed there instead of shooting out has always been a mystery to me. I believe it was because most of the powder burn was above it but weird things can happen.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I've bent a few RCBS pins, usually on a Berdan primed case.
    I went through enough, I scrounged the pins from old automotive U joint cups to keep from buying them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

I've broken pins because of pea gravel in the case. Add a cobweb or two and the pea gravel won't shake loose. When I reply to those threads about "best dies" I often mention the advantages of having the same brands. That gives you the option of swapping pins or rods and continuing to work vs being dead in the water. I also keep a few spare pins and even a rod on hand.

Foreign objects in a case are pretty common but a bullet is defiantly odd! I have had smaller cases nest in larger cases and even spent primers. The last time I broke a pin in my Lee Depriming die I bought 3 extras.

2lr cases are the worst. I've pushed the pin completely though.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Several years ago I began de-priming all my brass by hand using the Lee brand de-priming plunger with "unbreakable" pins (which are very breakable). Then began to use the de-priming pins that come with Lee sizing dies which are slightly smaller and allowed me to clean the brass in a vibratory tumbler with walnut media and got most of the primer pocket crud out. Then got into using stainless steel pins with water/citric acid/Dawn dish detergent and drum and still de-prime by hand. For me its the only way to go. When you place the de-priming shaft down into a case, you can feel whatever is in the case in the event of a small pebble, etc, in the case of rifle brass. Straight wall cases are seldom a problem. Big Boomer

Banned

ive hit old primers in cases myself. It comes from tumbling. Sometimes a dead primer gets into the pile of decapped brass and dumped into the tumbler. Ive even had tired brass lose a primer in the tumbler.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boomer View Post
    Several years ago I began de-priming all my brass by hand using the Lee brand de-priming plunger with "unbreakable" pins (which are very breakable). Then began to use the de-priming pins that come with Lee sizing dies which are slightly smaller and allowed me to clean the brass in a vibratory tumbler with walnut media and got most of the primer pocket crud out. Then got into using stainless steel pins with water/citric acid/Dawn dish detergent and drum and still de-prime by hand. For me its the only way to go. When you place the de-priming shaft down into a case, you can feel whatever is in the case in the event of a small pebble, etc, in the case of rifle brass. Straight wall cases are seldom a problem. Big Boomer
    if you think lee pins are unbreakable you have loaded enough ammo on a progress press. Ive broke a few of them. All it takes is to tighten the nut up a bit to much and a old primer or an off center drilled primer hole or a shell plate that is a bit sloppy. Deprime all my brass in a separate operation? It might work for you but id rather be shooting then loading.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    What LS said, ^^^^^^ . don't need a progressive to break them just load enough.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Grand Master

I think nearly everyone has broken a pin or two. Whether you deprime and tumble separately or load on a progressive. If you have have not then you will, sooner or later. I've made pins from pop rivets and finishing mails in an emergency. I also keep a few spares on hand. Those sets of plastic drawers are a nice addition to a loading bench!

I get lots of brass from around gravel pits, dead end gravel roads and even a few ranges that get bits of gravel in them. I'm pretty much a slow and easy type of guy and usually can feel a berdan primer but not always. The bit of gravel seems to let the pin scoot by it to the side, thus inducing a side load that the pin is not up to handling.

I like the Lee universal depriming die but I run it with the collet tightened down more than recommended. I would rather chance breaking a pin than putting up with the aggravation of resetting the die.

Banned

I have been using
    http://www.squirreldaddy.com/3-Heat-...p/sd24-112.htm
    Big upgrade for the Lee Decapper

Boolit Master

I use the squirrel daddy pins too.

Boolit Master

I found and now use a MIGHTY MITE de priming die. I even broke a few of the LEE manual jobbers (hammer smack) too...

I mostly use it for crimped primers in 223/556 & 357SIG small flash holes.

I chuckle at UNBREAKABLE decaping pins claims. This mighty die carries same unbreakable claim... along with a spare decaping pin.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Grand Master
    Just recently I was doing my standard strategy of decapping and sizing a big batch of cases... this time a mixed batch of 32 S&W Longs from a variety of sources. I just got going good really when I started having cases "feel funny." It should have been enough to warn me but I kept going for another case or two, then it all went South on me. My Lyman TC die suddenly had a bent decapping pin. I thought I had it straightened out, but the next cartridge was enough to finish it off. Those little pins from Lyman are cheap have and come in packs of 5, 10 or more over the years, so I put in a fresh one and kept going, but if the main shaft of the decapping rod gets bent, it's best to replace it because pins start bending and breaking with regularity.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I broke a RCBS headed pin last summer, made one that lasted 2 rounds. Bought 10 pack @ LGS haven’t broken one since. Got a good supply now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast