RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lee neck sizer question

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I will add my 2˘ on top of tigweldit's 2˘.

I've own many Lee Collet neck sizer dies...maybe 15 of them?
    anyway, two of them (that I bought new) were 'sticky' during use, even after I cleaned them. I compared the insides of these new sticky dies to older Lee Collet NS dies I own. The new sticky ones were rough (machine lines) where the old one's were smooth...as in polished smooth. Once I polished those areas on the New dies, they functioned much better.
    Mine looks like it was cut with rusty pry bar rather than a sharp cutting tool. I am curious how you polished them without loosing concentricity. Since they are so large in diameter, it's not like I can chuck them in a hand drill or press. Although, I suppose I could jamb the collet over a tapered punch and then chuck the punch, but that will not address the compression/concave part.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Banned
    ive been paying more attention to the issue and I think I have it figured out.

It doesn't like Remington brass. Or federal brass if I chamfer the case mouth.

PPU it LOVES...

Boolit Master
    The Lee collet die does not like Remington or Federal brass?

I will have break the bad news to my collet dies!

I will second the posters that stood up for these dies. I own a good many of them and only time I get disappointed in them is where there is a cartridge that Lee does not make collet dies for.

Three44s

Boolit Master
    I had 2 of the Lee collet die sets in .243 and 6mm Rem.

The .243 dies worked ok on the short neck. My brass was WW.
    The 6mm dies did not work well on the long 6mm neck. The brass was RP 6mm brass and the neck thickness was tapered. The base of the neck was about .003 larger in diameter than the neck dia the case mouth. So when I sized case necks the die would reduce the base of the neck ok but the case mouth was still larger than I wanted. Increasing the pressure put lines on the base of the necks. The Lee die would have worked if I had turned my case necks to a constant thickness. Since my normal dies worked ok I got rid of the 6mm and .243 dies. I still have a set in .22 Hornet and 7mm Rem Mag I want to play with.
    The .243 dies worked ok but I no longer have a .243.
    EDG

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
    Mine looks like it was cut with rusty pry bar rather than a sharp cutting tool. I am curious how you polished them without loosing concentricity. Since they are so large in diameter, it's not like I can chuck them in a hand drill or press. Although, I suppose I could jamb the collet over a tapered punch and then chuck the punch, but that will not address the compression/concave part.
    It's been a while??? ... but I recall making a redneck felt mating part and mounted that on a 1/4" steel rod, then spin it with a drill
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I use and like the Lee collet die. I full length size and bump the shoulder with Redding dies each time. After I started using John Valentines instructions the die really works well, almost no measured run out.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...-dies.3753910/

I'm a bit lazy when it comes to polishing things. I take the die apart, cleaned and greased the die body and collet at the taper with Super Lube grease from Harbor Freight.
    Works fine.
    Leo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12