Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: anyone loading wc297 in the 300 bo?

Banned

anyone loading wc297 in the 300 bo?

I got my brass all prepped and loaded three rounds to set the dies. I used 19.5 grains with a 125 sierra jacketed. Load data on there web site said 18.5 with 110 so im GUESSING a grain more with 297 should be ball park. Youd probably laugh but I don't even have an upper. the two bare lowers and build kits showed up today and it will be at least a month before I can afford the bo upper. They sure are cute little buggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I got my brass all prepped and loaded three rounds to set the dies. I used 19.5 grains with a 125 sierra jacketed. Load data on there web site said 18.5 with 110 so im GUESSING a grain more with 297 should be ball park. Youd probably laugh but I don't even have an upper. the two bare lowers and build kits showed up today and it will be at least a month before I can afford the bo upper. They sure are cute little buggers.
    You are going to love it. With a bullet weight range from 85 grains to 230 grains how could you not? It is very miserly on gunpowder for the performance that it gives. If I give up all my AR-15s, this would be the last one to go. I have stocked up on 110 grain bullets because I think that might be the best overall weight.
    Did you mean w296 on that powder? I have used it, h110, and LilGun for supersonic loads only and all three performed well.
    Cranial emission here- I realize you are talking about Surplus Gunpowder. Whoops, sorry.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Texas by God; 01-18-2019 at 02:25 PM.

Banned

no its surplus wc297 which is a tick slower then 296. Kind of half way between 110 and 1680

no its surplus wc297 which is a tick slower then 296. Kind of half way between 110 and 1680
    Anyone have 297 for sale currently? I haven't seen any for several years.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Banned

I haven't seen it in years either. There is some wc820 ive seen recently

I haven't seen it in years either. There is some wc820 ive seen recently
    I've not used WC820. What's it similar to in burn rate? Do you mind sharing a link for who's selling some?

Banned

my mistake. I looked at the suppliers I use and its all gone again. 820 is for all practical purposes aa9. When accurate arms first started selling powders they were repackaging surplus in fancier cans. When the supply started drying up they had powder manufactures make new powder to the same specs. Early in the surplus market there were some odd batches of 820 that supposedly the government experimented with in the 30 carbine. One was faster and about the speed of aa7. the other was slower and was closer to 110 but a bit faster. 95 percent of it was basically aa9 which is what was used in the 30 carbine. One downside to surplus is it tends to vary a bit lot to lot and if you buy it you should buy a bunch because if you run out and more comes out 5 years from now chances are your load development is out the door. For most reloaders that don't load 10s of thousands of rounds buying aa9 makes more sense. Its not a lot more expensive today because the cheap surplus is a thing of the past and when you run out you can go to the gunshop and buy another jug. the golden days of buying 8lbs for 60 bucks is long gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by usbp379 View Post
    I've not used WC820. What's it similar to in burn rate? Do you mind sharing a link for who's selling some?

Boolit Buddy

God, when I started using 820 it was $40.00 a keg and there was no hazmat charge then! I'm getting old!

Boolit Master
    I use 297 in several rounds including 300bo. I just use 110/296 data.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Banned

the first batch I loaded up doug I used 296 data for. If I feel the need for more Ill try sneaking up a tad later. in allreality 50 fps doesn't buy you much on a deer anyway. Do you get good accuracy in your bos with 297? Seems to me that it would be about the ideal powder. Full power loads give 100 percent case density, its a tad slower then 296 and a tad faster the 1680 and has flash suppressant so its going to burn cooler and give less muzzle flash and maybe even a bit less noise.
    Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    I use 297 in several rounds including 300bo. I just use 110/296 data.

Boolit Master
    I get good enough accuracy. I just blast steel and rocks with it. I mostly shoot subs with it.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle