MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: I went to the gun store today

Boolit Master

I went to the gun store today

There is a good place to shop for gun stuff in Kalamazoo and I have mentioned it before on this forum. It is On Target out on West Main near Kalamazoo. They have had used equipment consistently over the years and have had estate sale type items regularly for good prices. Today it looked like several reloaders had either given up on reloading or passed on to better things leaving this world of pain and strife behind. There was literally a pile of reloading presses on the floor and a bunch of partial cans of powder and obviously old unopened cans, lots of common numbers and some a little obscure. The brass aisle was hard to walk through because of the flatrate boxes of brass and there were lots of boolits that someone had cast , sized and lubed but did not get around to loading up and shooting. Lots of 22 rifles were in the rack and a bunch of 91/30 rifles which were almost $300 which is probably why they are still there. All in all it was a little crowded with supplies in stock, Like there wasn't another panic just around the corner.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

I wish there was something like that round me. The local gun store wants 32.00 a pound for rifle powder and only carries odds and ends.

Boolit Master
    Been there a few times. I'm about 25 miles away. You just never know what you're gonna find there.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I stopped by the local gun store and it was gone not sure what happened or why store was cleaned out looked like they even took the dust. Saw video on line about they didn't want to sell to black people. Not sure if this had anything to do with them closing or not. Watched the video as always it only started after there was a problem and store owner refused to sell weapon because he thought it was a straw purchase for second man with customer. Man in video admitted he had bought guns there before. I have seen people of all walks of life shop in the store. It would be stupid to limit or insult your clientele. I never really liked owner but it was nice to have store close. It was here one day gone the next.

Boolit Master

On Target used to have scratch and dent safes for sale on occasion. Any idea if they still do tha sale?

Boolit Buddy
    There are a few shops I visit that usually have used reloading gear. Mostly die sets, brass and some bullets with the occasional press. Nothing like what the OP described... I would think I was in reloading heaven at that shop in Kalamazoo!

About once a year I seem to run across a flea market or rural shop that has a box of gear that appears to have been the sum of a reloader's outfit. Fortunately on those occasions I've had enough cash to purchase the entire lot. The last time it happened was early last month. I picked up a large plastic tub that contained a decent amount of reloading gear that included two presses. While inventorying everything I began to wonder why these items were available and what happened to the previous owner. Much of the gear appeared to be from the late 60's/early 70's. There were detailed notes and logs that showed he was organized and methodical. The guy had his act together and had decent gear. The gear was dirty from sitting, but cleaned up very nicely... Obviously well cared for. It started me with having some thoughts on what will happen with my gear and what will my family be able to do with it.

Since then I have inquired with a couple local shop owners whom I have long customer relationships with about their thoughts. Long story short, reloading popularity it nowhere near what it used to be. It seems many local shops do not see a thriving market in it any longer. I was also told that some shops owners will offer the sellers a consignment deal on any gear they wish to sell rather than buy it outright. Frankly, I have found that to be true, I just never gave it much through as to why.

I began reloading with my father at around 12-13 and on my own when I left home at 18. That's been over 45 years ago. I still have my fathers gear and have added to it many times over the years. My wife and I have been discussing what options are available for her and the children/grandchildren should I pass before her.

In the meantime, I plan to continue "saving/rescuing" the gear I find to clean, restore and use if only out of respect to all those fellows who dedicated themselves to this fading hobby. Hopefully, some of the few reloaders left when I pass will feel the same about my gear.

Thanks, Isaac (not mine, but my grandfathers name by the way)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    On Target used to have scratch and dent safes for sale on occasion. Any idea if they still do tha sale?
    They have had scratch and dent sales on safes that I recall. Everything else is either new or used as far as I know.

Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

I LOVE gun stores that have bargain tables. Treasures to be found. I found a Bianchi leather holster, a GI 1911 mag(new), and a loose pair of Warne rings for $30 out the door at my LGS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

In this store, On Target, I have traded used and found brass for merchandise on several occasions but the last time I did, when I started in on the "I have some brass to sell" speech I was cut off with " well so do we " in answer. Now it is truer than ever, they do have some to sell. Examples would be 45 and 38 brass for about $.03 ea so I conclude that the market has about crashed for those. Once I got one of those Chinese tokarev pistols in 7.62X25 for $20 and a fairly large box full of sorted once fired brass in different calibers. Once I got dies powder, brass and precast 500 gr bullets to start up loading a 45/70 trap door rifle that My grandfather had forever. The good old days were really good.

Someones tag line somewhere says " buy it cheap and stack it deep" That is good advice and now is the cheap time.

I LIKE IKE

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB1 View Post
    Anything you want you can find right here ----- on the internet.
    True, but not as much fun as seeing, handling, and haggling the price for it in person!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by AndyB1 View Post
    Anything you want you can find right here ----- on the internet.

It`s just the cost of shipping that adds up on the final cost.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

When the next scare happens, the demand will thrive. It most certainly will happen and it might be sooner than you think.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master

I really mis those old fashioned gun stores that I remember as a kid. Gear stacked or laying every place. The smell of cosmoline and gun oil. The group of old guys drinking coffee and arguing over some gun related subject or political event. The guy at the counter that actually knew something about guns or reloading. Good times!

The internet has a lot going for it, for sure. It makes it easy to shop prices and look for sales. But you can't touch or handle the goods before buying. You can't smell the gun oil and leather.