RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mold suggestion for 9x19 Parabellum?

Boolit Grand Master

NOE 358-124-TC-GC
    Why the gas check ? To stretch COWW supply I mix them 50/50 and 25/75 with pure lead , so I have a soft alloy. The gas check lets me use this soft alloy in 9mm Luger (sized .357) .
    38 special +P and 357 magnum (sized .358) with no leading.
    I was experimenting with soft , non hollow point , 9mm's to see if they would expand like a soft nose.
    I discovered this soft cast TC boolit is just the ticket in 357 magnum loads and also works in 38 special.
    It is exceptionally accurate to boot . To date no leading whatsoever at any sane speed but I'm not allergic to gas checks.... I use them if a boolit is cut for one.
    NOE also sells this mould plain base and hollow point.
    After trying many 9mm boolits the 124 TC has worked best in 4 different 9mm pistols, three 38 special revolvers, one 357 magnum revolver and one 357 magnum rifle .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Dont know what guns your shooting said 9 in but I’ve found alot of the plastic fantastics prefer this lee truncated cone. Works with lube or powder coat well.
    https://leeprecision.com/search.php?...keep_https=yes

This is a really nice mold I’d like to get some day. Its a no lube groove from M&P molds, lots of folks here rave about them, they have several style 9mms, even a lube groove version of this one. https://www.mp-molds.com/e-shop/mold...no-lube-groove

Boolit Master

i cast the RCBS 09-124-TC for my own use and Son's. Two-banger, but time is of little import to this old retired dude. Run through the Star w/NRA loob, and everyone's happy...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master
    I use the LEE .358 128 gr. RF. sized at .358.
    Work up loads carefully. This not a 9mm boolit, it is a 38/357 boo lit, so it sits deeper in the case.
    .356 9mm boolits are too small for many if not most 9mm pistols.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    For those who have 9mm REVOLVERS I have had best results with Accurate 36-142H sized .357" in my S&W 940, which shoots to the sights with 3.2 grains of Bullseye.

Attachment 234352

Also shoots to sights as-cast and unsized with same charge in .38 S&W in my S&W Model 32-1
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

There may be much better choices but a Lee 125 gr rn 6-cavity mould with one lube groove has worked well for me both with lube and powder coating. I no longer lube my boolits but use the powder coat Smoke4320 sells (clear) which is the easiest and simplest method going for me. Still use my Stars to size the boolits for the 9mms and other calibers. My 9mms will accommodate boolit diameters up to .3585 though many will not and have to be sized smaller. My alloy with the above boolit mould drops at 130 grs. or a little heavier. Big Boomer
    Last edited by Big Boomer; 01-20-2019 at 12:55 PM. Reason: correction

Boolit Master
    I get good results from the Lee 358-125-RF cast of WW's but have gone as soft as range scrap with a BHN of 9. It'll cast .358, so you have the option of sizing it to whatever diameter your 9mm prefers. Mine are lubed with Carnauba Red. European 9mm's are often .357 in the groove and I've seen a couple of them really tighten their groups with the fatter boolit, provided the chamber will accommodate them.

The only improvement I'd want is a tumble-lube version of it. Another on the wish list would be a dual-purpose tumble-lube 140gr RNFP flat base for the 9mm and .357.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Lee 358-125-RF. It is perfect for the 9mm.
    +1 on LRFNs. I also have their limited-run 6-cav 359-160-RF which I use in subs/suppressed.

Boolit Mold
    For those that suggested the .358-125-RF. Just took a look at it and it has the crimp groove for .38/357 applications. When using in the 9mm assuming you taper crimp it so that the case mouth is right at the beginning of the crimp groove? Can't imagine you would seat it so deep that you went past the crimp groove?

Thanks

You need to load that one deep enough that all the flat sized part is inside the case. On mine, the flat part extends in front of the crimp groove just a little. I load them so the crimp groove is inside the case.

Boolit Mold
    Tazman, thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking, what is your favorite load with this bullet?

Wade

Boolit Buddy
    The H&G 275 is nice. Basically a 9mm version of the H&G 68 bullet for the 45 acp. MP Molds makes a very nice 8 cavity aluminum mold, and it really rains bullets.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190121_181138.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	234482
    Last edited by Sailormilan2; 01-23-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger1212 View Post
    Tazman, thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking, what is your favorite load with this bullet?

Wade
    I can't answer that yet. I have only been using it a short time as an experiment that worked remarkably well. I have only used one load so far and haven't had time to work with it more.
    At the depth I seated it, it functioned in every 9mm pistol I own including my Range Officer which I didn't expect. My Range Officer likes longer OAL length for best feeding, but I had no issues with the 125RF.

Boolit Master

My most used (almost exclusively) cast in 9mm is the Lee 120 TC (conventional lube)sized 357 for my several 9's. Works great @ 1.055" OAL in the modern guns that have no lead to the rifling and is accurate in my guns. Similar in design is the Lyman 356402 which has a longer nose, which I used until I discovered the Lee bullet. Lots of good bullets for 9mm, pick one and get started.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Buddy
    If you can find an MP 359-125 HP, they are extremely nice. I got one and got rid of all my other 9mm molds. MP does list a round nose design as well, that can be had in 6 cav aluminum if you don't like brass molds or hollow points. Looks like its in stock now

Boolit Master
    I prefer iron molds because they last with few problems if properly cared for. Brass mold are heavy and more fatiguing to use. Aluminum is more prone to damage.
    Obviously an H&G mold would be desirable, but hard to find in 9mm and costly. I own a number of 9mm molds including H&G, NOE, Lyman, Saeco, etc. My go to bullet for all my 9mm pistols is the 4 cavity Saeco #115. It is a 122 grain RN with a bevel base. Since I powder coat I prefer a bevel base handgun bullets. I have several loads that easily shoot under 1-1/2" groups at 25 yards with this bullet. It functions 100% in all my 9mm's.

Boolit Master

Can I suggest that you figure out your groove diameter, and how big a bullet your chamber will tolerate, before you buy a mold? I have a bunch of 9mm Beretta and Walther barrels, and all of them are about .3575" groove diameter, and they like their bullets .358" or larger.

I have a Browning HiPower race gun my father had built during the 1960s. It has a groove diameter of about .3575". If I assemble a cartridge with a .358" bullet, it will not freely chamber in the pistol. If I use Lead bullets small enough for free chambering, it Leads like mad. It gets jacketed only.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12