WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question: Making a New Caliber

Boolit Buddy
    Yes much like 401 wsl but with a heavier 41 cal booolit with less velocity

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crankycalico View Post
    in theory if the 38 sw got stretched out to 38 special length, and used 38+p pressure, consider the velocity you could get with the 200 grain bullets.
    The same as a 38 special using +P pressures with a 200 grain bullet.

I'm all about doing things because you can, but this one seems like an awful lot of work to duplicate something that's both cheap and easy, with no discernible benefit. What am I missing?
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    The 28 gauge sounds like a cool project . How did you grove the barrel? Your selph or send it out
    About 20 years back I built a rifling machine. It has a sine bar that can be moved to change the rate of twist. So far the fastest twist I have done is 1 in 8.5", from there I can go all the way to strait. Smallest caliber I have done is 7MM and the largest is 72 caliber. It takes a different cutter box for each caliber. I can do 2,3,4,5,6 or 8 groove. So far I have done 4,5,6 and 8. I did a Wh hex bore several years ago but have not built a rifle around it.itworth

that's starting to sound like a 41 Rem Mag ,think marlin made some levers .Or 414 max/super mag ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    About 20 years back I built a rifling machine. It has a sine bar that can be moved to change the rate of twist. So far the fastest twist I have done is 1 in 8.5", from there I can go all the way to strait. Smallest caliber I have done is 7MM and the largest is 72 caliber. It takes a different cutter box for each caliber. I can do 2,3,4,5,6 or 8 groove. So far I have done 4,5,6 and 8. I did a Wh hex bore several years ago but have not built a rifle around it.itworth
    John,
    Do you still have that custom rifling machine setup?
    Would you consider rifling a Blank in .25ACP with 8 grooves/lands and 1 turn in 8 inch twist?
    Would you start out with a used .22LR barrel and bore/ream/lap it first to the correct starting bore diameter?
    These Questions intrigue me greatly.

Chev. William

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    John,
    Do you still have that custom rifling machine setup?
    Would you consider rifling a Blank in .25ACP with 8 grooves/lands and 1 turn in 8 inch twist?
    Would you start out with a used .22LR barrel and bore/ream/lap it first to the correct starting bore diameter?
    These Questions intrigue me greatly.

Chev. William
    So far the smallest caliber I have done is 7MM. Each caliber has to have it's own reamer to get to the proper size and it's own cutter box. When I first started reboring barrels I told myself I would never do anything under 32 caliber because of the difficulty making the cutter box and cutter. The 7MM was done for a customer that I made many barrels for and he could not come up with a 4 groove barrel in that caliber to replace an early Winchester. I have done many calibers up to .72 but I have not done many recently. I can get liners for the 25 ACP and you already have a source for barrels.

Boolit Master
    Yes I do but not much in the way of Choices: either 1:14" TJ liners or 1:9.8" LW barrels are all I have found to date.

Chev. William

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123