RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lost money order

Boolit Master
    Don't for a second think priority mail is any faster. We were on vacation a couple of months ago and I forgot to mail in the house payment before we left. When we got home it was the 3rd. If payment is received after the 10th a late fee applies. So I went to the post office and sent in the check via a priority flat rate envelope just to be safe thinking it would take 2 days. Bank did not receive it until the 9th. It normally took 3 days via normal snail mail.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Don't for a second think priority mail is any faster. We were on vacation a couple of months ago and I forgot to mail in the house payment before we left. When we got home it was the 3rd. If payment is received after the 10th a late fee applies. So I went to the post office and sent in the check via a priority flat rate envelope just to be safe thinking it would take 2 days. Bank did not receive it until the 9th. It normally took 3 days via normal snail mail.
    When I went into the post office to turn in my inquiry form, I asked about priority mail. The lady said about what I had already figured. Very recently a guy had sent a money order in a priority envelope, and it had gotten lost. It did not do the guy one lick of good. It's still a 60 day wait whether it's a stamped envelope, priority mail with proof it was lost, or outright stolen. Unless you have the money order in hand, there is nothing to do.

I know Paypal isn't the only name in town, but it is the most widely excepted. I've never known anybody who has ever used anything else. Paypal works fine, it's just that you can't write firearm or gun in the comment section. Sure they're anti second amendment, but the joke is on them. I've bought thousands of dollars of gun stuff using them.

Boolit Master
    I do not know about the US, but if I have a crucial piece of correspondence I get the paper, money order/cheque and send it by courier (signature required).
    R.D.M.

Boolit Man
    I know what you are saying about PayPal. They currently have the market but are losing share quickly, for reasons you stated. The others I mentioned are relatively new and if you run across anyone 25 years old and younger they use Venmo on a weekly basis if not more regularly. They look at us older folks and ask why we don't have Venmo. Hell, my daughter even has my wife using it now. And if anyone I hang out with knew what I was talking about I'd use it. Simply open the app and click send money to, enter their email and they have it.

I pay my monthly rent using PopMoney. One time set up and it send the money via electronic transfer the same date every month. I'm also involved with the banking/credit union industry and any institution that does not see this change coming and is preparing for it, is done.

Boolit Grand Master

If it makes you feel any better, I'm 24, and never heard of Venmo until now. I've never used Facebook, Twitter, Instragram or any other of the social media garbage either through, so I'm not a good representation of my age group.

After doing some research, it appears Venmo is owned by Paypal, and as a result, also does not allow sale of firearms, parts, or ammo. I couldn't find an online "cash wallet" type app that isn't.

Banned
    I am sorry about your dilemma. I hope it was not too much money. I have lost all confidence in the USPS. Don't like to use them a bit. But as long as they are the cheapest solution I use them with proper caution. A few years ago I sent Carl, my sisters boy-friend who was a retired gunsmith an copy of "Small Arms of the World" because it had an article about James Paris Lee, the inventor of the Lee Enfield Rifle. Lee lived in our home town back just after the civil war. Probably developed the bolt action during that time. Carl didn't know that Lee lived in Stevens Point WI. Carl used a Lee Enfield as his primary deer rifle. So the book had a lot of sentimental value...Post office lost it. Or so they say. I'll bet it is in one of the sorters librarys right now. Sorry, had to vent. Forgot to mention, Carl was dying of cancer at that time and I sent it to cheer him up. I did manage to find a different article about James Paris Lee that spoke of his time in Stevens Point. Sent that to Carl and he was delighted to see it.

Boolit Master
    If I send A USPS Postal Money Order in payment, i send it Priority Mail or Certified Delivery, Return Receipt. Then I Follow it via the USPS Tracking until I see it delivered via the tracking info.

I have Had three Shipments "Misdirected' in the USPS system, one went from the East Coast Seller to my Regional West Coast Distribution office then back to the East Coast and return to my Regional Distribution office before Finally being routed to my Local Post office for Eventual home Delivery. Three Weeks instead of the nominal one week. The USPS never Could explain to me Why.

When I send items I always Insure The Shipment for its Current RETAIL Value, not what I originally paid for it perhaps years earlier.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Postal money orders are safe.The USPS delivery system is NOT.I have had a number of letters with bill payments just disappear.

Boolit Grand Master

I got a letter that my form has been received. Still 30 days until they will investigate.

The gun shop asked around at the post offices, and it seems that mine wasn't the only one to go missing. He said the post master and many employees were very recently fired, but no idea why. It probably got stolen by an employee.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    My mail normally use to come around 11:30 am. It now shows up after dark between 5:30/6:30 pm....every two to three days. I believe our post office is extremely short handed and they don't deliver mail every day anymore. It's getting rediculous. I don't use USPS for anything of value, and if I do i OVERPAY for tracking and insurance so I can get reimbursed not if, but when they loose it. I had two claims In The last six months with damaged, insured packages. About the only thing I mail out anymore are Christmas cards and about a third of my relatives tell me they never received them. USPS is a joke. It use to be a military background required job when I was a kid...not any more. No wonder why they have stated about the troubles they've have.

Banned
    My local post office is awesome and I'm thankful for the folks that work there. However, that office is just the last link in a very long chain and we all know that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Failures of the system are generally not failures of the people at the ends of those chains. The failures often occur somewhere in the middle of that chain.

I think everyone knows this already but it's worth repeating - be polite to the people you have contact with, they are often doing the best they can.

Boolit Grand Master

Finally the USPS issued a new check to me, and I just got it in the mail. I had about forgot the whole thing. I will now be avoiding money orders as much as possible.

30 days.... not bad. And as an aside, systems such as venmo charge you money to move that payment you received into your bank. Owned by PayPal anyway. And at least PP doesn't charge to move your own money..... yet.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I've gotten away with mailing small money orders by standard mail. I do fold the money order into a blank sheet of paper. On larger MO's I'll use priority mail for the tracking ability.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Boolit Grand Master

The trackability feature only works when everything goes well. When they go south it is no comfort to find out it's lost.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    Paper payments are the least secure of all payments. Even you hand a check to a guy and he puts it in his wallet, there is a long list of problems that can happen with it before payment is made on the item.

Debit card payments are just about as bad.

Always use credit cards to make payments. If you're using PayPal, link to a credit card to initiate payment, not your bank account.

In a Face to Face transaction where the recipient can't take credit cards, use good old fashioned cash to make payment. Write a Bill of Sale with serial numbers if it makes you more comfortable but at the end of the day, he walks away paid and you walk away with product, end of transaction, no matter what.

--Wag--
    This is pretty reliable advice, but no matter what you have to determine how much money you are willing to gamble and possibly loose with ANY financial transaction. Payment for a product that is in the wind does not guarantee you will get the product. Take multiple steps or methods to protect your funds. The USPS tends to be the lessor of several evils and depends on its organization and employees, but as always human traits and behavior factor in. Having dealt with both digital and analog processes NONE of them are foolproof or a guarantee of successful completion. Note that Paypal does not certify you won't receive a box of rocks instead of the product you bought!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    This is why I HATE USPS Postal Money Orders. Yeah, it would have helped to send it in a way that there was tracking on it - but if THEY loose it . . . .. why the 60 days before anything can be done. If you sen a personal check and it doesn't get there - you call you bank and put a stop payment order on it - might be a service charge but at least you know it can't be cashed.

I have sent things "overnight express" with the guarantee that iw would be delivered the next day - didn't happen - went to the PO and pitched a complaint . . . "sorry". Sorry doesn't cut it . . . especially when you pay the high overnight express fee. Sorry for the rant . . . but the VA isn't the only "guvment" entity that needs and overhaul . . . . if the PO is going to be a bank and do postal money orders - they each have a unique MO number - why can't a "stop order" be placed on them by the sender if it is lost - by the PO - and a new one issued so it can be sent? Meanwhile . . . the customer's money is tied up for at least 60 days if not more. Not good for those on tight budgets and who pay their bills that way . . . . as I've seen many do while standing in line waiting . . . usually while a PO employee is too busy to wait on the next customer because they are engaged in a personal conversation.

Glad it worked out as quickly as it did for you, msm.

In case any of you mistakenly think ANY method of payment or delivery service is materially better than their competition, I'm happy you're happy but the truth is all methods of payment are unreliable and all delivery services are roughly equivalent in the disregard with which they treat individual pieces in their delivery train. Back in the pre-internet days, remember those?, I mailed, UPSed, FedExed and DHLed thousands of mostly small parcels on a monthly basis and it was a fairly safe bet that most of them would be delivered on time and in good condition but I could be absolutely certain that 2-3% would either never be delivered, destroyed then delivered or delivered months late. If your volume makes you a priority customer, they all do a reasonably good job of delivery but you really need to watch your billing statements. Average Joes, they could not care less about your stuff even if they tried to. Trucks are unloaded by untrained gorillas who entertain themselves by competing to see who can throw stuff the farthest to avoid walking, automated sorters are serviced when they quit working and not a second sooner. If your letter or small parcel gets caught in the machine, too bad, maybe when enough pieces get jammed in that the belt stops someone will put the remains back on the belt for you, or not. Forty rolls of Fragile stickers does no good when a freight gorilla making himself deaf with rap music blaring in his ear buds throws your box 80 feet and sets a personal best for the night.

Recently I had a shipment of ammo from the CMP sent FedEx to my home. Sure wish they'd not do that, but that's their rules. The first 3 days that the packages were scheduled to be delivered and someone actually waited all day for the delivery, nothing. No FedEx truck even entered our cul-de-sac. I have large windows and multiple cameras, they did not come. The fourth day, the tracking app said No Delivery Scheduled, so I called and waited the two hours for a customer disservice drone to attempt to resolve the delivery issue. I was assured that the shipment was, in fact, in the permanent delivery exception bin an hour away and that I could present myself at their facility between 7 am and 7 pm that day and claim my package. About 4 pm my son texted that he had just signed for "lead in two big boxes" from the FedEx driver at home. At 8 pm, FedEx texted that someone named CThomas had signed for my package. At least they didn't send it back to Anniston, AL this time.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Master
    I had one Heavy Package addressed to "8376 De Garmo" delivered by UPS to "8306 De Garmo" and promptly 'disappeared' form the World according to UPS. After Two months of trying to get UPS or My Vendor to accept it was Missing/Misdelivered/ stolen with no luck, I ordered A Replacement with the Request my Vendor multiply place my Delivery address in the Shipment.
    This time my Axle and Hubs Were delivered properly to my address.
    Chev. William

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    30 days.... not bad. And as an aside, systems such as venmo charge you money to move that payment you received into your bank. Owned by PayPal anyway. And at least PP doesn't charge to move your own money..... yet.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    It was 54 days from when I finally came to terms that the envelope was long gone. If you needed that money bad, you would be really hurting. I'm lucky I didn't, but I'm a firm believer that the CC fees are well worth it now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123