WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: .38 S&W is prudent gunsmith’s choice to restore antique rook rifles.

Boolit Master
    It might be cheaper to buy two guns than have a barrel fitted don’t know

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    This is a very good post. It is so good I want to find me a old 410 and make me a 38 special and a 32 h&r mag or 32 long. I would like a 357 maximum also so many choices so little money. The maximum barrel sounds really but the 32 long or the 38 special for me would be more practical. Thanks again for the great post
    I would NOT put a .357 Max. on an iron shotgun action! Of the several barrels I've had John Taylor do for me on my pre-WW2 H&R frames, none of the cartridges substantially exceed 20,000 psi. The .32 H&R Mag., .38 Special +P, .44-40, .45 Colt and .45 ACP are all fine. Max. is not recommended. You will also want to have the firing pin bushed.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    The only single barrel Yildiz that I am awzre of, are 12ga and the sweet little 410. I like 20ga as well and hope they make one soon, but the 410 is the one for a "lettuce protector" supreme! The 12 ga is much larger, about 5 lbs. Light for a 12 bigger than needed for revisiting the "Rook Rifle" concept.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    I have yet to find anyone to cut a true 38 S&W chamber in a rifle: 38 special or 357 mag yes! ....but no one that cuts a true 38 S&W
    If any on has a lead please post it!
    PM me your email address and I can send you the chamber print from Dave Manson. Unable to attach a .pdf here
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I would only do the maximum on a 357 single shot rifle or a h&r made for rifle use.?If ever Henry ever builds one in 357 I will look at them. The cva hunter looks like a decent rifle but only a few calibers.

Banned
    well there is that one company that makes the chamber inserts that makes the full size insert barrels for shotguns.

Sure it may not be as nifty as having a fixed liner, but being able to swap out whenever you wanted IS a good option.

Banned

another reason and use for a henry h015-357mag and cat sneeze .38spl loads.

Boolit Master

I have yet to find anyone to cut a true 38 S&W chamber in a rifle: 38 special or 357 mag yes! ....but no one that cuts a true 38 S&W
    If any on has a lead please post it!
    Outpost 75 had a special reamer made for the job. It is at my shop now. I may have to make up one for myself now. His new 10X25 is also interesting and makes a fun little rifle.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    John,
    Just out of curiosity : Can a New England Firearms .223 Barrel be re-chambered and rebored to 38 S&W cartridge?
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Master

John,
    Just out of curiosity : Can a New England Firearms .223 Barrel be re-chambered and rebored to 38 S&W cartridge?
    It may be possible but I have not had much luck getting a smooth cut rifling on some of the late model barrels. I usually just install a new barrel or line the old barrel. Some barrels will cut very good and other don't, I never know until I start cutting.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    my thought has been that the .38 Short Colt might have some utility here, since it's essentially the same thing with the more common .357/.358" bullet diameter and uses the same size case head as the .38 Special and .357 Magnum. In theory, one could be annealing and cutting down their old Special cases. . .
    I like this idea, a rook rifle in .38 Short Colt. I have plenty of .38 Spl brass and an extra 20" .357 rifle barrel. All I need is a donor 410.

But the question is where can one get a .38 SC finish reamer?

Edit to say I found Pacific Tool lists a .38 SC reamer for $219.50! Ouch!
    Hoping Dave Manson can make one but can't get through on the phone.
    Last edited by tbx-4; 01-21-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tbx-4 View Post
    I like this idea, a rook rifle in .38 Short Colt. I have plenty of .38 Spl brass and an extra 20" .357 rifle barrel. All I need is a donor 410.

But the question is where can one get a .38 SC finish reamer?

Edit to say I found Pacific Tool lists a .38 SC reamer for $219.50! Ouch!
    Hoping Dave Manson can make one but can't get through on the phone.
    Use a standard 38 Special or 357 reamer and stop short, cut the rim separate. I don't have a 38 special reamer but I do have a NRA long taper throat 357 that gets used for both.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Use a standard 38 Special or 357 reamer and stop short, cut the rim separate. I don't have a 38 special reamer but I do have a NRA long taper throat 357 that gets used for both.
    I actually wondered about doing something like this but didn't know how feasible it was. So I take it there are separate rim cutters available?
    And I do have a .357 mag reamer, it would be nice to get more use out of it and spread the cost out.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tbx-4 View Post
    I actually wondered about doing something like this but didn't know how feasible it was. So I take it there are separate rim cutters available?
    And I do have a .357 mag reamer, it would be nice to get more use out of it and spread the cost out.
    The rim cut is done with a boring bar in the lathe.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    The rim cut is done with a boring bar in the lathe.
    John,
    I just received a boring bar set in the mail today and thought "I could do the rim cut with this". Thanks for the confirmation! I still learn'n.

If a guy where going to buy a 357 mag (barrel) reamer who grinds the best throat for cast? I've kind been getting a little more serious about just buying reamers lately for my assorted projects. A 38sp on a Iver 410 is one of them, just curious as to what has worked the best for others. John what is the taper on your NRA reamer?

Quote Originally Posted by firebyprolong View Post
    If a guy where going to buy a 357 mag (barrel) reamer who grinds the best throat for cast? I've kind been getting a little more serious about just buying reamers lately for my assorted projects. A 38sp on a Iver 410 is one of them, just curious as to what has worked the best for others. John what is the taper on your NRA reamer?
    I've been very satisfied by the .357 NRA chamber, which has the same minimum chamber body as the .357 SAAMI pressure and velocity test barrel, but with the .38 AMU throat, 1-1/2 degrees, Basic, direct from the .379" mouth diameter with no transition to a ball seat. This is the reamer which John Taylor has. It shoots both .38 Special lead and .357 lead or jacketed well and you can also seat heavy bullets out longer to increase powder capacity in a single-shot rifle.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Thanks for the write up and the reamer advice outpost, and since I forgot to say it earlier that is one neat 38s&w!

I can see the purpose of 38S&W for these old rifles. Instead of using 38S&W chamber and brass why not 38sp
    short chambered and trim 38sp brass down to desired length? Seems chambering would be easier to get done and 38sp brass is avaible by truck load.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I can see the purpose of 38S&W for these old rifles. Instead of using 38S&W chamber and brass why not 38sp
    short chambered and trim 38sp brass down to desired length? Seems chambering would be easier to get done and 38sp brass is avaible by truck load.
    Rationale for the .38 S&W was for people wanting a safe factory load to use in the antique rifles, NOT handloading.

Also, for those of us who collect old revolvers in this caliber, having a companion rifle is a sensible choice.

.38 S&W brass and ammo is also common and plentiful.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast