WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: More Jerry Cleave re-de-priming parts

More Jerry Cleave re-de-priming parts

I sent my re-de-priming tool back to Jerry Cleave to have him make a sleeve and shellholder for my .44-77 SBN. Got the tool and parts back today, so one step closer to getting BP loads worked up for my Creedmoor rifle.
    As usual Jerry's work is pure gunsmithing art you can use too!

Boolit Man
    And let me add Jerry is a real old school gentleman that makes these tools not for profit but to support the Schuetzen community and other single shot disciplines. Jerry is getting up there in years but his son or grand son, can’t remember, is learning and going to keep the chain intact. If you are fortunate enough to use or own one it only takes a split second to realize (1) there is a lot of fine work and fitting in these re-de priming tools and (2) they seat a primer easier and smoother than any of my other three hand priming tools.

Rick

Boolit Master
    That is an awfully nice looking kit!

Quote Originally Posted by garbler View Post
    And let me add Jerry is a real old school gentleman that makes these tools not for profit but to support the Schuetzen community and other single shot disciplines. Jerry is getting up there in years but his son or grand son, can’t remember, is learning and going to keep the chain intact. If you are fortunate enough to use or own one it only takes a split second to realize (1) there is a lot of fine work and fitting in these re-de priming tools and (2) they seat a primer easier and smoother than any of my other three hand priming tools.

Rick
    You are right; it's Jerry's grandson who is beginning to take an interest, and has actually made and sold his first tool to a friend of Jerry's, and mine. He now owns tools made by Jerry's uncle Charlie, Jerry, and Jerry's grandson. I'd like to have all three myself, but never see a Pool tool come up for sale yet?

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    That is an awfully nice looking kit!
    Nicest tools I ever have owned! As are the breech seater tools Jerry has built for my Hepburn, and Ballard rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    Any contact information for this metal artist? I'd love a set.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Jack View Post
    Any contact information for this metal artist? I'd love a set.
    I'll send you Jerry's email.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I first started in the Schuetzen game, I used to carry my gizmos and gadgets to the range in a battered old Gerstner tool chest. I lined one of the little drawers with cardboard then cut it out to hold my Jake Simmons re- & decapper. Jake used to make fun of me babying the tool… I wonder what he would have said if I’d used a velvet lined case for it. That does look classy though!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    When I first started in the Schuetzen game, I used to carry my gizmos and gadgets to the range in a battered old Gerstner tool chest. I lined one of the little drawers with cardboard then cut it out to hold my Jake Simmons re- & decapper. Jake used to make fun of me babying the tool… I wonder what he would have said if I’d used a velvet lined case for it. That does look classy though!

Froggie
    I thought so too Charlie! It was a whopping $3 at a 2nd hand store, and had salt/pepper shakers in it. They wanted $10, so I left the shakers and got it for $3! Box sat here waiting for something neat to put in it. I must have 5 or 6 old boxes I've bought, just in case I need them for some neat old tools.
    I'd love a Gerstner box, but even old ones are above my pay grade!

Boolit Grand Master
    Vall,

Thirty years ago I got lucky at a flea market and found a well used but solid, small oak Gerstner chest cheap. It is in what they call the "Journeyman" size/style, IIRC. When I first started and was just taking one or two guns to the range for an event, it was perfect. The top, small drawer on the right was pretty shallow, but just right for a Simmons tool with a couple of extra rods and shell holders. I got so energetic one time I cut out some cardboard to line it and hold the parts in place. If I had covered the cardboard in green felt it would have looked factory.

At the time, Jake used to rib me about about being too fussy about his tool. It wasn't long before I had to use multiple boxes for all my gadgets so the Gerstner was retired. Now I've got three of the tools and a half dozen shell holders, and a couple of them ride around in a pretty little mahogany colored cigarillo sized box, but now it's getting too crowded as well, so I'll probably be looking at yet another setup for the 2022 shooting season.

Froggie

PS IIRC, that Gerstner cost me $30 way back about 1992. I'd buy all I could find at that price today!
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Vall,

Thirty years ago I got lucky at a flea market and found a well used but solid, small oak Gerstner chest cheap. It is in what they call the "Journeyman" size/style, IIRC. When I first started and was just taking one or two guns to the range for an event, it was perfect. The top, small drawer on the right was pretty shallow, but just right for a Simmons tool with a couple of extra rods and shell holders. I got so energetic one time I cut out some cardboard to line it and hold the parts in place. If I had covered the cardboard in green felt it would have looked factory.

At the time, Jake used to rib me about about being too fussy about his tool. It wasn't long before I had to use multiple boxes for all my gadgets so the Gerstner was retired. Now I've got three of the tools and a half dozen shell holders, and a couple of them ride around in a pretty little mahogany colored cigarillo sized box, but now it's getting too crowded as well, so I'll probably be looking at yet another setup for the 2022 shooting season.

Froggie

PS IIRC, that Gerstner cost me $30 way back about 1992. I'd buy all I could find at that price today!
    I have an old unmarked machinist's toolbox I bought at a swap meet eons ago, and gave $20 just because it looked so cool. It's so dark it's almost black, but very solid. Never had a front "door" to cover the drawers when I bought it, and after a couple decades or more it still doesn't. I never could figure out how to age some wood to match, unless I used a torch to blacken it.
    I keep all my old gun sights in the drawers, and sorted by what they are. Verniers in one drawer, globe fronts in another. Regular buckhorns, or fixed blades in a couple drawers. And various scope bases in another. It's heavier than heck loaded, so it never goes anywhere anyhow.

Boolit Master
    he is just the best.