Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxGraf & Sons

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .38 S&W is prudent gunsmith’s choice to restore antique rook rifles.

I loaded a box of 38S&W a couple months ago for a friend that inherited his dad's house gun. A H&R break top
    from 60s, like new. He went to Cabelas and they wanted $38 and change for a box of 50, Rem I think. I do see where you are coming from. I've done a few 25rfs to 32short with salvaged barrels. Biggest PIA is to convert to
    CF. Bought a Hopkins and Allen basket case that was labeled 25rf at action. Turned out to be 25/20 single shot.
    I haven't figured out what I'm going to make out of it. Leaning 32 long if I can find barrel.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the great thread.
    I have a project on the back burner... bought an old break open 12 ga receiver for making a 22 WMR test gun. I plan on reloading 22 WMR in the future. I now need one of these guns. So I will have to make a barrel for the 38 S&W and rifle it to 1/10 It won't be a vintage rook rifle but I will love it just the same.
    AKA hans.pcguy

Boolit Master
    I would like to have a custom 38S&W but at my age and budget I have about given up. Instead I use 357 brass in a 357 chamber and simply seat the projectile deeply. In a single shot gun that does not present a problem as there are not feeding problems. It even works with .360 diameter lead balls (69grain) for small game. The RB seated directly on 4 grains of RD works fine. I prefer Red Dot because it is so bulky that low loading density has never been a problem.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123