Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Faster BP?? OBETEX is the name.

USMC 77, USRA 79

New Faster BP?? OBETEX is the name.

Take a peek at this guys....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	920A4A98-098C-4F03-8FBC-3FB656115D0B.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	234118

I been hearing rumors of some new BP that is much faster then Swiss.. hmmmmmm so an internet search has yielded this from South Africa....

https://www.bpsu.co.za/BPSU_Newsflas...0of%202016.pdf

https://www.bpsu.co.za/Obatex%203%20...ber%202017.pdf

https://www.bpsu.co.za/Obatex%202%20...%20numbers.pdf

Seems to be gathering steam... wonder if it might be available here at some point? What do you think, Hype? Or the real deal? Don’t we have some folks here from South Africa?

Marko
    Last edited by Markopolo; 01-17-2019 at 11:33 AM.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Speed is not necessarily your friend in BPCR.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Several years ago, a BP substitute called "Sannadex" was sold in South Africa. It was classified as "black powder" by the South African government, but it was a mixture of potassium nitrate, sugar and iron oxide..... not the "traditional" recipe.

I suspect that OBETEX is another BP substitute, and not the traditional "Holy Black".

I did a quick search, but I couldn't find any details on OBETEX ingredients.
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Vendor Sponsor

Do you have a link to where I could read about the mix?... "It was classified as "black powder" by the South African government, but it was a mixture of potassium nitrate, sugar and iron oxide..... not the "traditional" recipe."

This is new news to me. Intriguing stuff.
    Chill Wills

Chill Wills, the info I have was copied from a South African BP forum several years ago.... I am afraid that forum has since disappeared.
    I will send you the info via Private Message.
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Search the internet for red powder propellant, an improvised "explosive" from the U.S. military handbook.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Squeeze? That has nothing to do with BP.... do you mind? That belongs in the political forum, not inserted into a BP discussion.

Maven? Are you saying that OBETEX is redpowder? Or ???

This is total speculation, but perhaps they're using special charcoal that's made from something akin to balsa wood.
    I've read that balsa can help make some powerful and clean burning powder.
    Balsa is the softest hardwood species there is, less dense that cork, fast growing and also grown on plantations.
    And it has relatives....
    If not balsa then probably another soft wood charcoal known for making fast black powder.

USMC 77, USRA 79

That is what I was thinking... some sort of Native wood species that was especially soft... hoping somebody might know what it is made of...

Marco...., I was responding to Chill Will's reply (#5 above), particularly the words highlighted in blue: No more/no less.

Boolit Grand Master

Not particularly related, but something I've been meaning to ask. In relation to so called fast blackpowder, why can't you use more of the slower stuff. I'll pull an example from thin air. If 110 grains of Swiss produces 20k psi and 1900 fps, while 110 grains of Goex produces 17k psi and 1800 fps, why can't I use say 120 grains Goex for the same speed. I know this is vague, and doesn't apply to BPCR, but why is the velocity a brand produces a concern in a muzzleloader?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
    This is total speculation, but perhaps they're using special charcoal that's made from something akin to balsa wood.
    I've read that balsa can help make some powerful and clean burning powder.
    Balsa is the softest hardwood species there is, less dense that cork, fast growing and also grown on plantations.
    And it has relatives....
    If not balsa then probably another soft wood charcoal known for making fast black powder.
    somewhere someone posted that obetex used paulownia charcoal - this is a lightweight (varying densities, just like balsa) hardwood, fast growing asiatic tree (30 feet per year) that we also farm here in the USA.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Not particularly related, but something I've been meaning to ask. In relation to so called fast blackpowder, why can't you use more of the slower stuff. I'll pull an example from thin air. If 110 grains of Swiss produces 20k psi and 1900 fps, while 110 grains of Goex produces 17k psi and 1800 fps, why can't I use say 120 grains Goex for the same speed. I know this is vague, and doesn't apply to BPCR, but why is the velocity a brand produces a concern in a muzzleloader?
    for me it's not about the velocity as much as the cleaner burning, with less fouling. this is where swiss shines for bpcr and trad muzzys.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    somewhere someone posted that obetex used paulownia charcoal - this is a lightweight (varying densities, just like balsa) hardwood, fast growing asiatic tree (30 feet per year) that we also farm here in the USA.
    That was me but I put a question mark after it ---I dont know at all -- it was merely a suggestion as to how (maybe) they might have got the extra energy ----

also in the testing quoted they were looking at a wano load of 90 grains and the 50% reduced (by weight) load of obetex still filled a volume measure to the 80 grain Wano level - so this obetex powder is much less dense than other brands - (that also fits with the idea of pawlonia charcoal) - could also be a blend of that and sugar powder - lots of possibilities .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    1) could be because of cost - ie assume Wano is slower than Goex so if they the same price then Wano costs more to do the same job
    2) usually more powder equalls more fouling - (not necessarily the case tho)

Banned

for me, it's all interesting at best until obetex is stateside available for some real testing.

Boolit Master
    for me it's not about the velocity as much as the cleaner burning, with less fouling. this is where swiss shines for bpcr and trad muzzys.
    agree with the first part ---cleaner burning + consistent velocity --both beat extra velocity ---dont know how Swiss rates - have never shot it - unobtainable down under at the moment.

Banned

trust me on swiss, it's that good ... or just look at who's using it at the matches. OE is good stuff, too.

Boolit Master
    for me, it's all interesting at best until obetex is stateside available for some real testing.
    I think that is why squeeze posted his political bit - highly likely that South Africa will shred itself politically before they get to export any powder - there is white genocide going on in that country right now and nobody seems to care ................................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast