Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Faster BP?? OBETEX is the name.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    trust me on swiss, it's that good ... or just look at who's using it at the matches. OE is good stuff, too.
    I rang every gunshop I could think of just a few days back from the tropic of capricorn to the southern ocean - no Swiss - Wano or wano or Wano - just would have liked a can of Swiss to test
    Have not seen Goex since 1995 but still have some of that left (Moosic Plant powder from before the blowup) its way better powder than any wano I have had - Aussie shooters filled the gap with Chinese fireworks powder for a good number of years -- I had some of that ages ago that was as good as the best ever for clean burn - later was dirty powder.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm going to guess you don't live in USA, I've never even heard of Wano. I've got access to Swiss and Goex. It might have a big effect on long range rifle accuracy, but for me I would not say Swiss has anything over Goex. I swab every shot with any powder, so cleanliness is not a high concern. I can't measure any difference on target or chrony. I personally only buy standard red can Goex now, but I only base that on #1 works well, #2 available and inexpensive #3 made in USA.

Now that I think of it, the only powders that don't work well are Pyrodex, and any powder in pellet form. I've never met a black powder I didn't like.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I'm going to guess you don't live in USA, I've never even heard of Wano. I've got access to Swiss and Goex. It might have a big effect on long range rifle accuracy, but for me I would not say Swiss has anything over Goex. I swab every shot with any powder, so cleanliness is not a high concern. I can't measure any difference on target or chrony. I personally only buy standard red can Goex now, but I only base that on #1 works well, #2 available and inexpensive #3 made in USA.

Now that I think of it, the only powders that don't work well are Pyrodex, and any powder in pellet form. I've never met a black powder I didn't like.
    I think Grafs sell Wano as Schutzen brand ??

Boolit Grand Master

I have heard of Schutzen. A quick search shows why, Swiss powder is made by Schutzen. Swiss must be to Wano, what Old Ensford is to Goex standard.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    somewhere someone posted that obetex used paulownia charcoal - this is a lightweight (varying densities, just like balsa) hardwood, fast growing asiatic tree (30 feet per year) that we also farm here in the USA.
    Thank you for the enlightening info..

I get the feeling that since the powder and the OP's information about it is being displayed on a website that's affiliated with the MLAIC,
    - The Black Powder Shooting Union of South Africa - it would seem to lend the powder some credibility as being authentic:--->>> https://www.bpsu.co.za
    Last edited by arcticap; 01-17-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Arcticap, I believe you are correct -

http://www.bpsu.co.za/Obatex%201%20-...uly%202017.pdf

Obatex is a true black powder, equivalent to the current Swiss and Wano powders, or the G-20 powders of former years. Obatex should not be confused With substitute powders like Sannadex which are not made from traditional black powder ingredients and are hence disqualified from use in national and international competitions.
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I have heard of Schutzen. A quick search shows why, Swiss powder is made by Schutzen. Swiss must be to Wano, what Old Ensford is to Goex standard.
    Nope! Wano made in Germany
    Swiss made in the Aubonne factory in Switzerland

Schutzen is the marketing / importer company joint ventured with Wano and brings them both into your country.

Wano comes into Australia direct from the factory - used to be marketed as Pioneer powder when I first started shooting.

Boolit Master
    Not particularly related, but something I've been meaning to ask. In relation to so called fast blackpowder, why can't you use more of the slower stuff. I'll pull an example from thin air. If 110 grains of Swiss produces 20k psi and 1900 fps, while 110 grains of Goex produces 17k psi and 1800 fps, why can't I use say 120 grains Goex for the same speed. I know this is vague, and doesn't apply to BPCR, but why is the velocity a brand produces a concern in a muzzleloader?
    For me it’s an issue because I use it in my revolvers where I’m quite limited on powder capacity. My NMA likes a 30 grn charge (weighs about 33 grns) of 3F Olde Eynsford with my 195 grn bullet. This is likely producing standard .45 ACP performance, which is acceptable. If I used standard Goex or the other powders I’d be getting under 300 ft/lbs of energy, which wouldn’t be acceptable. I don’t want to stock a bunch of powders so I use it in my rifle as well where the powder choice wouldn’t be such a concern.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    For me it’s an issue because I use it in my revolvers where I’m quite limited on powder capacity. My NMA likes a 30 grn charge (weighs about 33 grns) of 3F Olde Eynsford with my 195 grn bullet. This is likely producing standard .45 ACP performance, which is acceptable. If I used standard Goex or the other powders I’d be getting under 300 ft/lbs of energy, which wouldn’t be acceptable. I don’t want to stock a bunch of powders so I use it in my rifle as well where the powder choice wouldn’t be such a concern.
    I can completely understand the issue with a cartridge. I have shot Swiss and Goex in multiple handguns, and don't see nearly that much difference though. Realize I'm shooting them in calibers like 357 mag, 41 mag, and 44 mag.

Thanks for that bit of info on Wano powder.

Banned

MSM - the only allegiance i have to any real back powder is Performance. i absolutely find a difference using swiss with long guns - BPCR (swiss 1-1/2f for .45-70 PPB and greaser) and trad flintlock muzzleloaders (swiss 3f for .32 to .62, both rifle and smoothbore). burns cleaner, less fouling, more powerful, more Consistent. ymmv.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12