Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning BL-22

Browning BL-22

I had one of these in my youth, and recently had a hankering for another .22 Lever.
    With the price of Marlin 39's and Winchester 9422's going through the roof, I set my sights on the BL-22.
    I have no interest in a Henry. A friend has one, and every time we take our .22's to the range I shoot his some.
    While it's smooth and accurate, it's just not my cup of tea. It reminds me of a 9422, albeit a "budget version".

For a bit more $$, a used BL-22 is a step up in quality. The BL-22 is about as compact and light as you can get in a .22 repeater. And it has some cool features.

Bolt locks up to breech, not just held forward by the lever like other .22 levers.

Controlled round feeding, feeds well in any position, even upside down. Never, ever heard of a feeding issue with them. Feeds short, long, and long rifle, in any combination. (can you even buy longs anymore ???)

Mag tube latch will snap in at any position, doesn't have to be lined up with a notch.

Super short 33 degree lever throw. You don't have to take your hand off the lever to work the action.
    Keep your thumb on the upper tang, and just flex your fingers open and closed.
    The fastest, least aim disturbing, manually operated repeater going.

I had to chuckle when I read a couple of reviews about the BL-22. Both guys said the short lever throw allows you to keep the carbine up to your shoulder when firing.
    Heck, any lever allows you to do that. For that matter, with any shoulder fired rifle or shotgun ever made, you can keep it up to your shoulder when you cycle the action.
    The whole "don't have to take your hand off the grip" thing was lost on them.

These have your typical Miroku quality. New BL-22's are just as nice and well made as ones made back in the 70's. How many other brands can you think of that are made as well today as things were back then ?

I had just seen a new Grade I at the LGS, priced at $550. I went to a gunshow the next day, and saw this Grade II in very nice shape, priced at $350. I plunked down the cash without delay, and when I got home checked the serial number, and it was made in 1976.
    It appeared to have been fired very little, if at all.

Some guys have said they shot one with a very heavy trigger pull, but all I've shot have been in the 5 pound range. Mine was 5 1/4 lbs. when I got it, after a few hundred rounds, it is at 4 3/4, and very crisp.
    Anyone else have one of these cool little lever .22's ?

Boolit Master

i agree with you, the BLR is a quality rifle. comparing it to a henry is like comparing a yugo to a caddy. in a henry 22, everything but the barrel is pot metal, but it dont sell for pot metal prices.

Boolit Master

Had mine since 71. I have never had an issue with mine even with the cheapest ammo. My brother and I bought two with consecutive serial numbers. I think his is long gone.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    A good friend had one in high school, we shot it A LOT! Great little rifle, and yes still the same quality is an unusual thing. Good find, if I saw one like that for that money it would be mine mine mine..
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I may get flamed but IMO the BL-22 is the best .22 lever action ever. My brother got one for his first gun in 1970 and his son has it now. The only issue it ever had was an over pressure CCI Stinger round that ruptured and popped the extractor out. It was an easy fix. Yes, I'm including the Marlin 39 and the Win 94-22 and the Erma/Ithaca/Henry for comparison. I have owned and used those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I really like the short throw of the lever on the BL-22; fantastic rifle.

I had to put mine on layaway at JC Penney in 1982, I was really married with a daughter, just couldn't live without it! My 12 year old Grandson is coveting it! He better plan on taking good care of Grandpa, if he wants it! Nice shooting 22, hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    I've had a couple of them, but the one I plan on having in the safe when I die is the BL-22 FLD Octagon version. Man it's sweet! I'm real partial to the T-Bolts as well.

I'll second the opinion that these BL-22 it the best of all the lever actions in my book as well.

The one drawback is that the BL is almost TOO light for steady holding. I want to add a sling to help steady off hand shots, but hate to drill into the stock. So I might get one of those butt cuffs that the sling attaches to, and do the magazine band up front.
    I have heard the BL-22 isn't the easiest to get back together, because of the ejector that has to stay in that hole while connecting the two halves back.
    It's probably easier to take down than the 9422 or Henry, but not quite as easy as the Marlin.

But, the BL-22 is very durable and maintenance free, not likely to need taking apart. And the action stays pretty clean, compared to say, an autoloader like the 10-22.

Boolit Master

The BL-22 is a great lever gun.

Boolit Master
    I've had mine since '72, and shot many 100's of jacks and gophers with it , and I agree it is a wonderfully built rifle. I think the 9422 Win is heavier built gun, and will last about 3 lifetimes of heavy use, but I still prefer using the Browning. Wish I would have ordered one in 17 Mach 2? caliber when they were about giving them away a few years ago!

I have a grade II as well, I haven’t seen it in 10 years, I need to dig it out and go shoot it.

Boolit Master
    Huge mistake......reading this thread. Now I want one. Nice.

Boolit Master
    I just noticed that reciever sight, I want one. Williams?

I rate lever 22s as : #1 Marlin 39, #2 Brn BL-22, #3 Win 9422, Henry is a novelty gun. The Brn & Win are really not traditional but both fine 22 rifles. All I've owned were smooth function and good accurate rifles. My first rifle
    was a Marlin 1897 when I was a kid and I've accumulated a few 39s over the years. The last one I bought new
    in early 70s. To me the 39 is the 22 lever action. It had a long run and was only dropped because of expense to
    produce it. My dad wanted a Win 73 in 22. Over the years he never found one to his liking. The shape was bad or the price to high. I won't be buying 39s for $600 and up, I got mine before they became collectors items.

Boolit Buddy
    BL-22 hands down! Winchester 9422 is pricey but you can pick them up for 800 but if take care of it you will always get your money back.

Boolit Grand Master

I love my BL-22. Picked it up used years ago. Frequent companion to the range. I find the short throw lever is "easier" for the kids to "learn" on. Has dovetail slot so there is no need for any bases. I love mine for sure.

Boolit Master
    SWMBO and I married in 1970. As a wedding gift I bought her a BL-22 Grade II, new in the box. Was hoping she would take an interest in shooting and hunting with me. Never happened, and worse than that she has never fired the rifle in the 48 years and change since we married. I have taken it out 1 or 2 times, so it has been fired a total of less than 100 rounds in it's lifetime. I'm impressed by the lifter assembly in this rifle. Once I was told it is a clone from the Winchester 61 lifter, and that would explain why these are so reliable. Maybe some day she will agree to go to the range with me.
    Last edited by Thin Man; 01-31-2019 at 05:15 AM.

Boolit Master

I accidentally shot my wife to be 40+ years ago; she not only still married me, she still likes to shoot with me at times. Luckily she hasn't YET tried to get even.

Boolit Buddy
    NOW if they came out with the BL in 22 mag that would be a hot little seller or what! FOR ME AT LEAST would you buy one ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast