Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Broken 310 decap pin with kudos

Broken 310 decap pin with kudos

I was loading 9mm on my Tru Line Jr. when the handle dropped and the case raised. At the same time I was rotating the turret. As soon as I heard the "tink" I just knew I'd broken the decap pin. Dang!!! I don't know how many decades have passed since the die had been completely taken apart and cleaned because it barely turned in the turret and sure was stiff getting it apart. I wire brushed the threads of the die and the decap pin shaft and applied alot of muscle to getting the pin holder unscrewed from the pin shaft. Now it is cleaned and put back together. I learned a lesson and disassembled and cleaned the rest of the dies so they all work like new. Regular cleaning should be something I should do, wouldn't you agree?

Kidos ..... I called the 310 Shop and new pins are on the way. Great guy to talk to about the early days of reloading, particularly the use of 310 dies and the handles that were used by the buffalo hunters back in the day. I learned a bit about black powder, too. My compliments to the 310 Shop for fantastic customer service.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I've ALWAYS had good service from The 310 Shop. I make it a practice to order several new decapping pins whenever I place an order for something else. They go into a small envelope as spares.

A lot of 310 (not Tru Line)tool owners aren't aware that the decapping pin should protrude as little as possible, just enough to push the primer out. Unlike inline tools, the 310 works on an arc and that pin will only take so many cycles of bending back and forth before it lets go.

At the price of a 10 pack it's almost insane not to keep some around. These pins work in some other dies too.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    I keep a little tube of decapping pins in my range box... if a pin is going to break it is most likely to break when at the range and far from home. Ask Mr Murphy!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"