RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Ruger RARs with AR-15 mags.

Boolit Master

Ruger RARs with AR-15 mags.

Ruger makes two of their .223 Ruger American rifles to take AR magazines.

One is a preditor with 22"barrel and the other is a Ranch rifle with 16" barrel.

Has anyone bought one and had any experience to pass on. I am thinking of one or the other.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    Yes please! Thoughts are needed! Im torn between finding a Howa Mini Action in 223 or easily walking into a dealer for an RAR.

I'm thinking a 30-round round magazine dump Might take a little while lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    the original rotary magazines SUCK. cant get the fully loaded magazine into a rifle when the bolt is closed, causes damage to the plastic locking latch.
    If they drop, top round does a partial eject, so fun when you need to shoot. And the feeding seems wonky with the rotary magazine.

You can get the standard .308 predator and use the 3 round 450 bushmaster magazines for it. they say the 223 can as well, but going by case diameter I don't think so.

Boolit Buddy
    I want to know if the ar mag model will feed 300 blk loaded with 110 gr carbine bullet. the rotary mag wont. I have a RAR ranch compact model that I love except for the rotary mag.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Yes please! Thoughts are needed! Im torn between finding a Howa Mini Action in 223 or easily walking into a dealer for an RAR.
    I have no experience with the Howa, but am interested in the cheap AR mags for the RARs. I have a 762X39 RAR Ranch Rifle that works very well with Ruger Ranch Rifle mags that are shipped with it.

I have a RAR Ranch in .223 but the plastic mag is terrible. I want to find someone with practical experience with the .223 with AR mags.

Boolit Master
    I like my ranch rifle but hate the plastic rotoray magazine. Wish I could upgrade to the ar15 mags

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mica_Hiebert View Post
    I like my ranch rifle but hate the plastic rotoray magazine. Wish I could upgrade to the ar15 mags
    WELL according to customer service at Ruger when I emailed them,,

The issue is that the RECIEVER is milled differently on the AR magazine rifles. I was told that its impossible to make the AR fit and feed with the NON ar magazine ones. And you would have to change the stock apparently as well to the newer version.

Essentially according to customer service, you have to buy the new rifle from the get go that uses ar magazines.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by crankycalico View Post
    WELL according to customer service at Ruger when I emailed them,,

The issue is that the RECIEVER is milled differently on the AR magazine rifles. I was told that its impossible to make the AR fit and feed with the NON ar magazine ones. And you would have to change the stock apparently as well to the newer version.

Essentially according to customer service, you have to buy the new rifle from the get go that uses ar magazines.
    You are precisely right! Doe anyone have experience with the NEW RARs that accept AR-15 mags?

Banned

No experience but im going to buy one in 300 bo and it will be an ar mag gun. Ive read on the internet (I know) that they do feed better then the rotary mags. Don't have much use for a 30 round bolt action gun but one that will take ar15 5 rounders and in a pinch any of my ar mags seems to make more sense then having to have a specific model magazine for it.

Boolit Grand Master

I don’t have one that takes the AR mags. I have both a RAR and RAP that take the plastic rotary mags. They’re horrible in every way. Had they made ones that take AR mags I would have bought them. I have nothing good to say about the rotary mags. Or the factory stocks. They have low combs designed for irons but they don’t come w/ them. It’s why I put a Boyd’s At One stock on the RAP and am looking at options for the RAR. Good thing is they’re accurate affordable rifles.

I have the Ranch model that takes AR mags. It’s definitely handy, especially when roaming for predators. It’s not the most accurate gun I own, but I haven’t started handloading for it yet. I do like the function and fit of the gun, so it’s worth meddling with reloads and working on stiffening the stock. I won’t bother with a stock change, just mess with the existing plastic. For the price I paid, I’m not complaining.

Boolit Master

Have a young man in his 20's that i have been teaching to reload; and the basics of shooting which he had never been exposed to. He has a Ruger Ranch Rifle that takes AR Magazines. The plastic magazine that came with it; had cycling issues when we went to the range yesterday (1st time I saw that rifle). It would not feed a round from the "Right Side" of the magazine; but would feed from the "Left Side" (Rounds are stacked off center left-right-left-right in an AR type magazine). I had a 20 round "MagPul P-Mag" and a military 30 round magazine in my range bag so we tried those. Both fit well and secure into the Ruger Ranch Rifle (.223). Both functioned better than the Mag that came with the rifle; but did not feed every time over about 10 rounds.

We ran out of time; his scope was so far off (over 3 feet high and left at 100 Yards) so I did not get much more time to look at the Magazine and Rifle interfaces/function. Much of the day was spent teaching him about MOA's; scope adjustments/clicks, proper sighting, holding the rifle and cycling the bolt, etc.....

Provided as Food For Thought; I will need additional opportunity with the rifle before I could make an informed recommendation. Previous was "Limited Experience to Date".
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Mold
    I have a rar in 223 that uses the rotary mags. Never had a problem with either of the 2 mags I have for it. Is a fairly decent 300 yd gun with a 1-4 power scope. Haven't got around to handloading for it yet but seems to like the heavy Black hills ammo.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I don't have one of the Ruger rifles that takes AR mags but it's a great idea provided the rest of the rifle doesn't need to be worked on to make it right . Experience with Ruger products has shown that almost everything I've seen of theirs needs help . Perhaps that's only recent products though .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter