Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Where's the Shotgun Discussion?

Boolit Bub

Where's the Shotgun Discussion?

Hi Fellers,
    I don't see a place to discuss shotguns. So, I guess here will have to do.
    I saw a semi-auto shotgun, at Wally 's, the other day. It was a Hatfield. Anyone tried one of these? For just a smidgen over $200, it's kinda tempting. It had 3 screw in chokes, the barrel is removable. The guy, at the counter, said they were flying out the door, prior to Christmas. He hasn't gotten any back. I did write to the company, and asked about extra barrels. If I try one, I'd like a spare barrel, to cut down, and crown, at 18.25". Response was, no extra barrels. The shotguns come in 12 & 20 ga. I think they are the same as the Weatherby auto loaders. ( I'm old enough to remember when Weatherby was a high quality/ high dollar firearm).
    I'm thinking of trying one, or should I wait for the McCoy's? Thanks!

Boolit Master
    I can't help you there. My two shotguns are both Remington, one an 1100 I've had since the early '70's. I traded a sporterized 1903 30-06 for it. The other is an 870 Express that I won in a raffle, and I don't think it's ever been fired. I got that one shortly when they first came out, and it has a removable choke. I'm trying to convince my oldest son to trade it for a single shot Henry in a pistol caliber.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

my opinion, you would be much better off buying either a new or used rem870 or mossberg500. those budget guns mostly made in turkey just arent that good of quality.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    my opinion, you would be much better off buying either a new or used rem870 or mossberg500. those budget guns mostly made in turkey just arent that good of quality.
    Ditto, Turk stuff is low quality junk, not the kind of gun you will hand down as heirloom. I could find a lot better
    go used auto loader for $200. Older Rem models, Savage and house brands can be the best deals. The day I pay $100 for a Mossberg is the day I quit.

I've got no experience with them. I'd be afeared of it though. A Maverick 88 is in that price range, they are pretty good guns. Spare riot barrels are commonly available too.

That said, I have a Remington 870 express that I bought used and cheap. It had been camo'd... I was hoping to get lucky with the finish but the previous owner sanded it well before painting it. No matter, I ain't fraid to use it, I shot 65 clays straight with my buddies, easy ones but still, with a modified choke.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys for chiming in. I figured it wasn't something special. I was just curious if anyone had one.
    I have an older 870. I started off by looking for a damaged barrel, so I could cut one down to 18.25 or so. I have had plenty of 870's. I had a 50's model, that I let my son-in-law have, with a slug barrel. That was one of my favorites. I picked up a beautiful, almost new one, that spent it's time with me, in the safe. It was too purty to scratch up. I got smart, sold it, and reinvested in another beater. Had one of the composite stocked ones, sold it. So, I'm down to one, old one, with a 12 mile long barrel on it. I hate to go out and spend as much on a slug barrel, as a new gun. It's plenty dependable, just not house handy.
    My '29 A-5, dropped a carrier screw, so it's down, at the moment. Again, years of dependable use.
    I forgot that I had an Ithaca 37, in 20 ga. until I was poking around the dark recesses of my safe. So, I have that. And, I have a Model 11, but broke the extractor spring, when I used it for a backup, at a 3 gun.
    I'm not all that keen on supporting Urdugan either.
    Well, thank you for your input.

Boolit Bub
    Erdogan

Boolit Master
    id vote maverick 88 for the low price range. think I got mine at Walmart, since then it has been hunting, skeet shooting, been loaded with literally every object in my house that fits in a shell, had a sand bag break open right over the ejection port with the slide back after oiling the insides. it was crunchy for a month or so then back to running great just has some minor surface rust from lack of proper maintenance.

Course if you did get one and it lasted 5000 rounds before giving you fits.... Might be a fun toy.

Banned

I don't see a place to discuss shotguns. So, I guess here will have to do.

Most members use the "Casting for Shotguns" sub-forum.

I would get a 500 or an 870 if you have no other shotguns.
    If you have other reliable shotguns, and it is for fun and amusement, why not???
    The least expensive semi-auto I would rely on, bet my life on, is the Mossberg 930 with a few simple parts from
    http://or3gun.com/OR3GUN/about_or3gun_combo.htm
    Last edited by jmort; 01-17-2019 at 08:28 AM.

I have two Yildiz shotguns and the fit,finish, and quality are amazing for the price. I'll see about the longevity- God willing.

Banned

I have two Hatfields. Amasing quality for the price. Just sent one back for a broken firing pin. They paid shipping both way's. I had it back in less than two week's. No charge.

Boolit Bub
    Hmmm, well this is an interesting can of worms. Yes, I probably would be getting this as a "toy". Staking my life on it? That would only be after a long history of dependability. Of course, anything can break. Both of my old spring guns are down, because of small problems, and those old workhorses have been very faithful. One because of an extractor spring, and the other one, the screw backed out. Small fixes. My two pump guns are quite dependable, so those are what I would stake my life on. Of course those are backed up by Glocks, or Steyrs. It comes down to, if someone is stupid enough to break in here, it will not go well. Move along. I have a warning sign that states that. To make it legal, do I need to have that in Spanish, French, German, Farsi, and Russian, too?

Boolit Bub
    Oh! I forgot, Braille. They have that at the drive thru, at the bank.

Boolit Master
    Kuffar, I sent you a PM
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Bub
    I wanted to thank everyone for the feedback. I bumped into an 870 slug barrel, while out getting my prescriptions. Yeah, I snuck off to the "candy store". Found one, still in the wrapper, for $100.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, that solves the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Well, that solves the issue.
    Yep, the 870 is an issue solver since 1950. Good choice.