Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Favorite BIG Burner for Melting Scrap Lead Into Smaller Ingots?

What's Your Favorite BIG Burner for Melting Scrap Lead Into Smaller Ingots?

So when it's time to take large amounts of scrap lead and melt it into clean ~1-lb ingots, what's your preferred heat source?

The burner's got to be sturdy to hold the weight, absolutely stable for safety, stand at a convenient height -- either for table use or sitting on the ground -- and be windproof for working outdoors.

A 200,000 BTU turkey fryer propane burner? $85 on Amazon. Not flat on top, though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turkey fryer burner.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	234068

This one has a very flat top for tabletop use and looks capable of holding a large cast iron skillet or pot safely. Also has an air mix valve for tuning the flame. Designed for propane from the get-go. $99 at Amazon.

Name:	200000 btu burner 99 amazon.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	234074

I have a small 10-flame wok burner that I got a long time ago and never used, but I have to build a stand around it. And a wind guard. And it may be set up for natural gas and I need propane. Anyone used one of these successfully?

Name:	Wok Burner small.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	234075

Secondly, what's your favorite melting pot? Lodge or Walmart cast iron skillet/dutch oven? Some other pot? I bought an 8-inch Ozark Trails iron skillet at Walmart for $5.

Name:	Cast Iron Ozark Trails 8in skillet.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	234071

Amazon offers a 2-qt pot with lid for $17.19. The lid might hold in heat better for faster melting. And it doesn't have a long handle like the skillet that could be hit and cause tipping...and disaster.

Name:	Cast Iron 2-qt pot amazon.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	234073

Thirdly, ingot molds. I have a cast iron SAECO mold that makes 4, 1-lb ingots. Had it for decades. Didn't realize how much it goes for today.

Name:	Saeco 4-cav ingot mold.jpg 
Views:	1077 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	234070
    $35 - $54 on eBay

I've seen guys like Fortunecookie45lc using all kinds of molds designed for muffins, cornbread and other cast iron cookery.

Name:	cast iron muffin pan.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	234069
    $11.71 at Amazon, makes 2-1/2" round x 1-1/2" deep ingots.

Name:	Cast Iron Cornbread pan.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	234072
    $18.56 at Amazon

I've been haunting the local Goodwill and other used stores, but no cast iron or turkey fryers to be found.

Have you used steel muffin pans successfully to make lead ingots? Or do they die in the process?

What's worked best for you?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Coleman camp stove and a $10 cast iron pan from Wally World. Smelted about 2 tons last year with the combo. I have picked up several different cast iron molds like yours above at thrift stores for $2/$5

Banned

$60 free shipping
    210 k BTU beast
    Best deal out there
    Use a steel cut propane tank
    Cast Iron can fail catastrophically

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/bac...554BPHP17.html

I like that burner. Very sturdy and lots of horsepower.

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Use a steel cut propane tank
    Cast Iron can fail catastrophically
    Can you be more specific on the steel cut propane tank? You mean a standard 20 pound propane tank with the upper half cut off? Some other size/style of tank?

Why not a 2-qt (or so) stainless steel kitchen pot from Goodwill?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Liberty1776; 01-16-2019 at 08:36 PM.

Boolit Buddy

I use a turkey deep fryer base I got from Bass pro on clearance some 20 years ago. The pot is a 30 lb R134 freon tank. Cut the top off just as it meets the sides then cut two inches down from that to create a ring. Tack weld the ring to the bottom of the tank to form a base. Tou can also get empty helium tanks from party supply stores. With the pot about 3/4 of the way full I can get about 70 ingots from a saeco 4-1lb cavity mold.
    This fall to cut my propane expense out of the equation I use a R-134 tank with just the top cut off then cut a hole in the top of a 30 gallon drum to except the tank and welded in to the drum with about two inches sticking up from out of the drum. Cut and welded a piece of four inch long fence post into the top to put 4 inch stove pipe on that. Cut an 8x8 opening in the side and tacked on some 1 inch hinges. Now I have a no fuel cost wood fired melter. Brought it home and set it up in the driveway and my wife ashed it that was a good idea. She said you know the drug helicopters have been flying over this area! Lol.
    Dollar Tree has 6 cavity muffin tins $1.00 I fine that they release the ingots better if I smoke them in the wood stove before use.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a homemade jet burner on a homemade stand. About 30-32 in tall. The base is a blade off of a levee disc. The burner is made like a weed burner. I've never measured the propane usage to calculate the BTU output but I estimate it to be around 500K. Thats what some weed burners claim. The pot is a steel cap that was a valve cover on a railroad tank car. Its like the cover on a bulk propane tank except much heavier. It holds between 350 & 400# of lead. I run 7 of those cast iron Lyman style ingot molds. It takes me about 45 minutes from when I start setting up everything until its time to flux the first time. Actual melt times for most scrap is around 20 minutes. I use a 5# Rowell Ladle and a large skimmer along with a large kitchen spoon to flux, stir and skim with. It takes about 30 minutes to empty the pot depending on the temperature. Usually after 4 or 5 cycles I will have to take a break and let the ingot molds cool off. If I had not found those molds at a gun show for a dollar or two each I would make some out of angle iron.

Boolit Master

Aren't we, as recyclers, supposed to be re-purposing rather than buying?
    Goodwill, Salvation Army, Pennywise, Thrift shops & Flea markets comes to mind

Boolit Man
    You said “large amount”, but then you said “1lb ingots”. That sounds like a very long and inefficient process with maintaining a large amount of molten lead.
    I run a 250k burner with a stand that has been reinforced to hold my pot that will hold in excess of 750lbs of molten lead. I don’t run that burner much above idle as I firebrick around the bottom pour pot. So, as others have said, it shouldn’t take a large burner for your scenario or a large melting vessel.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    Aren't we, as recyclers, supposed to be re-purposing rather than buying?
    Goodwill, Salvation Army, Pennywise, Thrift shops & Flea markets comes to mind
    I think everyone should do as they see fit.
    Saving money is a virtue, but for me now, $60 shipped for a strong hardcore burner makes sense. It is exactly what I want and need with zero compromise.
    I got the propane tank for free, but removing the valve, safely purging it and making it safe to cut took some effort. Buy want you want. Use what you want.
    The member who was selling cut propane tanks with a welded nozzle for around $40 or so saved me the hassel on my second tank/melting pot.

Boolit Master
    I picked up a used turkey fryer burner , and cut off a old steal forklift propane tank , it works good and holds all I dare to put in it . I keep thinking about reinforcing the burner stand but when I get done I usually don't think about it until I want to use it again . I sometimes wish a had more heat , but the burner keeps me out of trouble with Zink in the mix . This rig with a long stem tel-true thermometer takes care of all my recycling .

Boolit Master
    when I had my old house it was heated with a coal furnace in the cellar. I had two cast iron pots I would load them up and set them in on the coal. when the lead was ready I would pull one out and pour it in my lyman ingot mold. worked great any smoke or fumes went up and out the chimney. in this house we heat with a Harmon coal stove in the living room. it is tempting to do the same thing with it. have to pick a day when wife is out.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2ridgebacks View Post
    You said “large amount”, but then you said “1lb ingots”. That sounds like a very long and inefficient process with maintaining a large amount of molten lead.
    I run a 250k burner with a stand that has been reinforced to hold my pot that will hold in excess of 750lbs of molten lead. I don’t run that burner much above idle as I firebrick around the bottom pour pot. So, as others have said, it shouldn’t take a large burner for your scenario or a large melting vessel.
    I started with a homemade burner from a water heater, a medium size Dutch oven and 1 Lyman mold. I quickly tired of waiting for the single mold to cool. I tried cooling the mold in a pan of water and/or on wet towels and also quickly tired of that. I am happy with casting 1# ingots but I run 7 molds now. If a couple of buddies come over to help they each bring one of their molds, for a total of 8 or 9. It seems that many more than that require more moving around that what I am comfortable with when carrying 5# of molten lead. My set up is arranged where you load the ladle, turn around and take a short step and pour.

I like 1# ingots. They stack well and 1# is small enough to not drop my casting pot temp much. I've cast ingots from various cast iron cookware molds but disliked the odd sizes. The corncob style cornbread ingots worked well but didn't stack so well.

I would love to see a picture of your 750# pot and your set up. I had a 60 gallon (might have been 80 gallon) commercial air compressor tank that I was going to cut off for a smelting pot. But it was so nice that I gave it to a buddy as a replacement for his rusted out tank.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post

I would love to see a picture of your 750# pot and your set up.
    My thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...up-the-BIG-pot

I use a 14lb ingot mold and have 14 of them. Currently making 30 more so that I can empty the pot in one run without overheating the molds. We can liquify that pot in 20 min or so.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the link. Thats quite a setup. I probably saw your original post but didn't remember it. Love isotope lead. Its about the cleanest lead I have ever used.

Boolit Grand Master

A Bayou Classic Double Jet burner...210,000 BTU's.
    When you done melting lead put a 160 quart boiling pot on it and you can boil 80 pounds of crawfish , potatoes , corn on the cob , onions and some sausage all at one time...that's two of them big 40 pound sacks ! That will feed 20 regular person's or 10 hungry Cajuns if the beer is free and cold .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I used a Bass Pro Aluminum Fish Fryer ; https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass...num-fish-fryer

with an old enameled 5 qt dutch oven that the enamel had started to chip off. I personally like the lid.

Poured into muffin pan for small enough ingots to go in a Lee furnace

Boolit Man
    Using the fire brick was the best move that I made. That and cutting a top to fit around the pot . Drastically cut fuel use

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    A Bayou Classic Double Jet burner...210,000 BTU's.
    When you done melting lead put a 160 quart boiling pot on it and you can boil 80 pounds of crawfish , potatoes , corn on the cob , onions and some sausage all at one time...that's two of them big 40 pound sacks ! That will feed 20 regular person's or 10 hungry Cajuns if the beer is free and cold .

Gary

This site needs a like button! We do this a couple times a year even though we are in Arkansas.

Boolit Master
    I have the Bayou Classic double jet burner too. I might have gone for a banjo type burner but what came recommended to me about this model was the sturdy welded round bar frame. It holds 275# worth of propane tank pot, lid, insulated shield and molten alloy no problem at all, and probably could do twice that.

I started with a Harbor Freight dutch oven and a few Lyman and Lee one pound molds, but as I have moved up to a bigger pot to process more alloy, I have continued to search for higher capacity ingot molds of appropriate shape. I've used mini and small loaf pans (3 plus and 9 plus pounds respectively) small 1 1/2# angle iron molds and am hoping the group buy goes through on the proposed 2 1/2 # rectangular molds.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

I use a propane plumbers furnace
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast