Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable dipper

Boolit Master

Adjustable dipper

Since a set of Lee dippers in pistol sizes seems to be out of the question, I thought maybe one could make an adjustable dipper.

Just drill a larger hole through the primer pocket, tap it, then run a bolt through the bottom.

Problems that I think may need to be dealt with:
    • the space between the bolt and the case wall could cause bridging
    • powder could get stuck between bolt and case wall
    • stuck powder could dump out into the next case

So . . . I don't know if it would work to run a bare-end bolt up the bottom of a case. I can see some sort of plunger that would fit snug to the case wall and slide up and down with the bolt would be ideal.

I just need some creative idea to make that plunger. . .

Out of the question, they are less than $12 a set.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...er-measure-kit

Boolit Master
    I have the set.

For those that did not read my other thread on Lee Dippers I am trying to solve a problem I have with the Lee set: not enough increments in the smaller sizes to be useful for pistol loading. If you're loading for 9mm there can be big differences between 0.3cc and 0.5cc and they don't offer a 0.4cc dipper.

I originally thought that they might be willing to produce a set of 15 for pistol loads consisting of 0.05cc increments at the lower end of the scale. But that idea crashed and burned.

So that leaves me with making homemade dippers for charges that can't be made with the 0.3, 0.5, or 0.7 cc dippers. The way I currently make my homemade dippers is a pain:
    *Find powder charge that works best for given boolit and powder.
    *Solder a 9mm case to some 12 gauge copper wire and fashion a handle
    *File the mouth of the case down.
    *Dip out a charge and weigh it.
    *OOOPS! Overfiled! Charge weighs too little.
    *Drill out bottom of web in case.

So, I thought if those fine adjustments could be made by putting a screwdriver to a bolt on the bottom side of the dipper it would simplify things.

Use a case like a 357 and tap a hole like a 10/32”, grind the head of the screw like a valve top carefully fitting to the ID of the case and cut a straight slot on the bottom of the threaded shank.
    Don’t quite thread the full length of the tap into the primer flash hole so the threads are tight enough not to turn on its own.
    That oughta do it.
    A unique idea, novel & one of a kind?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

Find someone with a 3D printer. There are plans for powder dippers that fill the void where Lee left off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Masking tape in the next sized dipper that is too big. Trial and error, won't take long to get it exact.

Boolit Grand Master

The problem with the plunger in a case is the cases walls taper getting smaller towards the bottom. I had a adjustable dipper with a shout gun loader for shot charges. They can be made and would be handy.

Several pieces of Hobby store brass tubing in different IDs. epoxy a nut in the closed end and used a flat head screw for the adjuster. On top of this glue a disc of flat brass plate or plastic fitted to the tubing. Add a handle and you have a dipper. Hobby store brass tubing is around .030 thickness to would make a sturdy dipper. A piece of 1/4", 3/8, and 1/2" tubing cut in several lengths would make a very complete set of dippers. A shim punch to cut the discs would be handy.

How about just drill and tap a hole theough a piece of plastic and use what remains of the threads as the dipper. Want more volume back the screw out want less run it in.

Boolit Master
    Jmorris, I like the idea! I have a couple duplicate dippers that came with die sets. I'll find a screw that nearly matches the I.D. of one of the dippers. Then drill out the bottom with a slightly smaller bit. That way the threads will just contact the inside of the dipper, but will have a more secure grip going through the bottom plastic.

Would it be best to drill-and-tap the plastic? Or just force-fit the screw into the hole letting the screw make its own threads?

Boolit Master
    I mentioned it in one of your other topics & it seems no one noticed. Or, maybe they did & just did not comment about how EASY & INEXPENSIVE a fix it is...

Use WAX. just melt some WAX.

Candle or paraffin...

Take your .5cc scoop & drip a bit of candle wax into it & turn it into a .4cc.

If you have a bit too much, scrape out a little wax at a time until it reaches the .4cc you want.

If it doesn't have enough, add more WAX.

If you are not going to use that scoop for anything else. leave it alone, maybe mark it with a sharpie to say .4cc.

If you want to return it to the .5cc, melt out the wax by dipping the dipper in hot water, to loosen the wax out of it. If it is just a little bit left, you can use mineral oil or even olive oil that is warmed up, to get out the wax. Then clean the dipper & it will be like new.

If you do not want to do this because you use the .5cc by itself, real often & don't want the hassle, use a larger one that you don't use that often & convert it into a .4cc with WAX.

Easy & inexpensive to do, easy & inexpensive to change back.

You do not need to "re-invent the wheel", or, "build a better mousetrap", but you are certainly welcome to try if ya like.

Me... in this case, I am sticking to using melted WAX.

Simple, easy & inexpensive to get the job done...

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Does the wax adhere really well? Or is there a chance the glob of wax could work loose and fall out?

Your idea could work with solder too. Just heat a 9 mm case with a torch, melt a nice puddle of solder in the bottom, then drill it out bit by bit to calibrate. Not as easily adjustable as with wax, but better than filing.

Boolit Buddy
    If you have a set of calipers you can set the sizes quickly with a couple of steps.
    start with a sized 9mm case
    1 - measure the exact length
    2 - check the charge it throws
    3 - file the case down 0.1" (measure the actual length)
    4 - check the new charge

change in charge = (first charge - second charge)/(first length - second length) in grains per inch of height.

if you need a specific weight use a sized case with the same headstamp and cut it down the calculated amount from the full case size.

If you really want premade dippers, I can post a set of models to Thingiverse with the exact volumes you want and you can quote and order them printed from any of several vendors directly through that site. (I don't want to run into trouble for offering anything for sale)

Boolit Master
    I think I have enough ideas for simplifying the homemade dipper manufacturing. I will play with placing a snug-fit screw through the bottom of an extra Lee dipper. Then I will try filling the bottom of a case with solder (or epoxy).

Boolit Bub
    Tell you guys what, I'll think on this and get back to ya....

Geez, makes my head spin.

If you're into 3D Printing or OpenSCAD, I modified Grahns dynamic powder dipper to have a capacity readout on the handle.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3350388

Boolit Master
    Buy another set and trim the top down to the handle or even below, to the first mold line. My .5CC dipper looks like I could reduce the capacity by about a third that way. Then you'd have a set of 24 dippers with 12 in-between sizes.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Jaque Janaviac View Post
    Does the wax adhere really well? Yes. It has for me with the Lee dippers Or is there a chance the glob of wax could work loose and fall out? Maybe it could, but it has not yet done so for me.

Your idea could work with solder too. Just heat a 9 mm case with a torch, melt a nice puddle of solder in the bottom, then drill it out bit by bit to calibrate. Not as easily adjustable as with wax, but better than filing.
    It could likely work with solder, or epoxy. As far as that <<<, I do not know as the wax has worked for me so far. I do have "dedicated" homemade casing dippers with handles out of .22, & .380 cases without using solder or anything else. I just trimmed down the cases to make the dippers. I, or anyone else could make them out of any case they like & simpley grind down the mouths of the cases to make the amount of powder you would like to use. You just need to remember what powder you made any particular one for, so you don't under or over chagre if you use a different powder than what the dipper was made for. The wax, allows easy change over.

G'Luck! what ever ya decide to do. Be safe.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Yeah, I think a regular powder measure would be alot easier.

The Lee Perfect Powder Measure is $22.89 at Titan Reloading.

This would solve your problem better than all the dippers in the world,, for $22.89!

Just sayin'

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    G'Luck! what ever ya decide to do. Be safe.
    JB...are you sure you have the correct word here? 'G'luck'?

Only time I ever saw that word...it was in conjunction with 'Glock'...Yaknow..."Them Glocks really Gluck up the brass!"

heheheheh...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast