WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Lube for sub freezing temps

Boolit Buddy

Lube for sub freezing temps

Looking for a lube for a muzzle loader shooting black for temps into the single digits, any ideas out there? Looking for something that will work so I can get in 8 or 12 shots over an hour or so.

Application is primitive biathlon. Snowshoe around a course in the woods shooting steel at various points. Time bonuses awarded for hits. Shooting a p61 Enfield short rifle with round balls. (also looking for something that will work with minies in the same conditions)

Moderator Emeritus

Here is a "what I've seen used -- NOT necessarily what should be used" -- be warned ! Two friends of mine use an auto grease called MolyGraph which they buy in cartridge form at the local Harbor Freight. With the moly, it supposedly is good to temperatures well below freezing. Again -- this is just what two fellows use, as recently made inquiry.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/sta-lu...ase-40712.html
    Good luck!
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 01-16-2019 at 08:12 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm skeptical only because I know from my BPCR shooting that petrol based lubes and black can make for nasty cleanup. then again I may have to try it.

I may also try straight crisco.

Boolit Master
    I've just used Crisco, but it seldom gets that cold here. If they are still made the Blue & Gray products work well.

I have seen patches freeze halfway down the bore when someone was using spit to give the barrel a quick cleaning.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

I would be tempted to try Lanolin, it too gets stiff in the cold, but has a melt temp at about 100 Deg F.
    You could also try Coconut oil which melts under 100 Deg F.
    OR
    Pure Olive oil mixed with a bit of Lanolin.

Boolit Buddy
    Hmm. I wonder if powder coating would work for black powder.

That sounds like a biathlon I could get into!!

Boolit Buddy
    You have to use wood framed snow shoes and a non-inline. Round balls only (which is a pain, enfields are minie ball guns)

Boolit Buddy
    Venison tallow on patched roundballs in a loading block. I used this in a 20 ga smoothbore
    at a frozentoe event in CT. 20 shots and did not swabe between shots. Venison or mutton
    tallow works well in cold weather.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by XTR View Post
    Looking for a lube for a muzzle loader shooting black for temps into the single digits, any ideas out there? Looking for something that will work so I can get in 8 or 12 shots over an hour or so.

Application is primitive biathlon. Snowshoe around a course in the woods shooting steel at various points. Time bonuses awarded for hits. Shooting a p61 Enfield short rifle with round balls. (also looking for something that will work with minies in the same conditions)
    I use bear oil 9 degrees but never shoot that amount ,fingers freeze while squirrel hunting

Banned
    Rendered squirrel fat is what I use on patched round balls for winter time use. It is very temperature insensitive when it is freezing or well below.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by XTR View Post
    I'm skeptical only because I know from my BPCR shooting that petrol based lubes and black can make for nasty cleanup. then again I may have to try it.

I may also try straight crisco.
    The trick to using petroleum based greases or oils is to use a petroleum bases solvent to swab out with and clean up. Don’t try to use water, failure with water is what continued the myth about not using petroleum products. Ever try to get heavy grease off your hand with straight water it won’t work with out a strong detergent like Dawn. Try swabbing between shots with Hoppe’s #9 or Zippo lighter fuel, EEZOX or any other light petroleum product that can dilute or dissolve the grease you choose.
    Experiment wipe some grease on a steel plate then remove it with a light solvent like I mentioned.

Try some SPG. I have shot a lot in the cold with straight black in cartridge guns, both hunting and match situations. It never let me down.

Banner Sponsor

https://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?...mmgel1qens8at0

BP-01 is a really great Black Powder lube. I got the recipe from a gentleman in Switzerland. He told me that he could get 30 rounds through his muzzle loader and still have the black powder fouling be soft and have good accuracy even at the end. I made a small batch and tried it in my 45-70 Sharps with a 32” barrel. I put 15 rounds through it without using a blow tube, or wet patches… and the accuracy was good all the way through. The fouling stayed soft and cleanup was fairly easy.