MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: 9mm hollow point

Boolit Mold

9mm hollow point

I would like to do some hollow point casting lead booolits does anyone does lee make a 6 cavity mold hollow point that is a standard weight bullets for plinking and having a surplus of hollow points, thanks.

Boolit Master
    I've never heard of a 6-cavity mold set up for HP. But I have heard of two cavity molds. There are people who will convert an existing mold into a hollow point mold.

I have a Lyman Devastator which is a single cavity mold and is satisfactory for 9mm. It has a big hollow point cavity intended to function with Lyman #2 alloy or Clip On Wheel Weights which are a bit harder than pure lead or many of the lead-tin alloys. Since I shoot all Wheel Weight lead this works for me. The casting process is slow. So I keep it on hand and will cast from it whenever I am casting with another mold that is getting warm enough that I need to slow the pace down. Then I alternate between molds.

Boolit Master

NOE makes 4 cavity RG moulds. I have a few 2C NOE and would expect the larger ones to work fine.

Boolit Mold
    cool who converts them to HP the lee mold, thanks bud for the advice.

Boolit Master

Havent used him myself yet, but Erik is highly respected. http://www.hollowpointmold.com
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

This is a good one, but out of stock at the moment. I have the 2 cav version, works great. https://www.mp-molds.com/e-shop/mold...25-hp-pb-4-cav

Boolit Master

I think you would be money ahead to get the mould that Springfield suggested rather than trying to talk Erik into converting a 6-cavity Lee into a hollow point.

I have the mold that springfield suggested. I have the hi-tek version, and I use 50/50 alloy, so my bullets are a little heavier, but with 4gn of unique they are great.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master

must be kind of a loose fit in them 45 Colt cases

You gotta shove two or three in each
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    If you're considering having a mold HPed you might consider starting with an iron or a brass mold. The Lee 2-cavity molds are great for what they are, but the criticism that they feel flimsy is accurate. If you're going to spend the jing to have a mold modified, you might want to start with a mold that will last you a lifetime. Of course, if Lee has the bullet you want to start with and the others don't then you gotta go with a Lee.

Boolit Master
    I have a 4 cavity brass 9mm hollow point mold made by MP 359-125 that will make a lot of cast boolits . It's not a 6 cavity but a quality 4 cavity mold will make a pile of cast boolits . There is a pretty good chance that you can find a hollow point mold from one of the producers cheaper than modifying one .

Boolit Grand Master
    A four cavity MP HP mold will produce about 5 boolits for every six you get from a similar mold that lacks the HP feature. I have run tests with my H&G 68 Clones, both brass 4 cavity, one HP and 1 plain nose to substantiate that statement. I recommend heartily the MP Cramer style HP molds. I have them ranging from 32 auto 75 grainers up to 45, with stops along the way at 32, 9 mm, 38/357, 44 and 45 ACP.
    I have several NOE RG molds as well that are multi-cavity (i.e.; 2 or 4 cavity) and they are also pretty good. If you have a suitable 2 cavity, Eric Olin can convert it to a hollow point.
    To my knowledge, no one makes a 6 cavity hollow point mold, least of all, Lee.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I love eriks work but doing a Lee is like dropping a porche engine in a vw. Just buy the NOE 4cav, miles ahead.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I own a couple of the NOE hollow point molds and they work fine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    I love eriks work but doing a Lee is like dropping a porche engine in a vw. Just buy the NOE 4cav, miles ahead.
    Big Plus One...

ED, AKA Echo
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master

Take the money you would spend on a conversion of a Lee 6 cavity and purchase a NOE already set up with the pins that will allow you to cast hollow point , cup point and flat nose boolits ...all with the same mould. Three moulds for the price of one ! I will bet money you will like the NOE set up ...and I'm not a betting man.
    NOE moulds are are very enjoyable to cast with. Try just one !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"